• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

My cassoulet before baking

IMG_4882_croppedR.thumb.jpg.6840540dae2b732b498d14349aa0fc68.jpg

Cassoulet after baking

IMG_4887_croppedR.thumb.jpg.e45c15a6f8512f40272b6a4912a77604.jpg

Braised endives

IMG_4888_croppedR.thumb.jpg.d92f2a4f1070c8f6a839af410ece4efc.jpg

Contents of Cassoulet:

- Tarbais beans (Rancho Gordo), soaked in homemade duck stock

- 2 confit duck legs (Maple Leaf Farms)

- 1/2 Ventrèche (d'Artagnan)

- 1/2 garlic sausage (d'Artagnan)

- 4 Duck (+ chicken + pork) Smoked Sausage with Apple Brandy (12 oz) (Fossil Farms)

- tub of duck and veal demi glace (d'Artagnan)

- homemade roasted garlic, duck fat, etc.

Braised endives include butter and chicken stock (Methode Mitch).

Edited to replace faulty photo of endives, added contents of Cassoulet.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

Cajun shrimp eggs bennies.  Over toasted bolillos (local MX bread that is sourdough-ish).  

shrimpbennie1.jpg

Thank you for the name, bilillos - we like "sturdy" bread and will be heading to Mexico shortly, so now I will know what to look for.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thank you for the name, bilillos - we like "sturdy" bread and will be heading to Mexico shortly, so now I will know what to look for.

The type and availability of bread in MEX varies by region.  I was surprised when we first came here here that there were any breads!  Then I learned about the French Connections.  The Battle of Puebla (Cinco de Mayo 1862 ) was against the French, as was the skirmish referred to as the Pastry War (1838).   https://www.britannica.com/event/Pastry-War

Bolillos vary as well; the local birote salado (salted) is as crusty as any baguette from Paris.  It is used in our locally famous Tortas Ahogados (drowned sandwich).   https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/featured/31241-birote-bread-the-unique-taste-of-jalisco

Enjoy your trip...buen viaje!  

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@TdeV  

WoW

as I see it in the first pic "

'' chunks '''   ie pieces of very reasonable , on the larger side 

Bacon ?

Sausage ?

and similar chunks of duck ?

Modified the original post to update with contents. I used to chop everything up finely--am trying out a different method!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

The type and availability of bread in MEX varies by region.  I was surprised when we first came here here that there were any breads!  Then I learned about the French Connections.  The Battle of Puebla (Cinco de Mayo 1862 ) was against the French, as was the skirmish referred to as the Pastry War (1838).   https://www.britannica.com/event/Pastry-War

Bolillos vary as well; the local birote salado (salted) is as crusty as any baguette from Paris.  It is used in our locally famous Tortas Ahogados (drowned sandwich).   https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/featured/31241-birote-bread-the-unique-taste-of-jalisco

Enjoy your trip...buen viaje!  

Thanks - the article was very interesting. We'll be a bit north of Playa del Carmen for 3 weeks, the longest we have ever stayed in Mexico, so looking forward to a lot more grocery/market explorations and the ensuing meals.

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

The bolillo is commonplace here in everyday supermarkets that cater to a Latino shopper. Used in the popular tortas https://food52.com/blog/13470-how-to-make-a-mexican-torta-without-a-recipe

We somtimes forget about the enormous infuence colonization and immigration had on Mexican culture. Have fun!!!

• Like 1

@gulfporter when we were in Guadalajara we fell in love with the lonches. I've got the bread down pretty much pat, but I would love to have a recipe for the pork. It is the most delicious melt in your mouth pork that anyone could imagine. Thank you for that article. It certainly brought back memories and if you know how to make that pork I would sure love to know how.

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The bolillo is commonplace here in everyday supermarkets that cater to a Latino shopper. Used in the popular tortas https://food52.com/blog/13470-how-to-make-a-mexican-torta-without-a-recipe

We somtimes forget about the enormous infuence colonization and immigration had on Mexican culture. Have fun!!!

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.

bolillo.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 3

Birotes saltados are the super crusty ones, shown here.  They are the ones used in tortas ahogadas; they need to be super dry to soak up the liquid (ahogada means 'drowned.'

Mi esposo says he can drive a nail into the wall with a birote salado.  

birote salado.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

bolillo.jpg

Yup on point observation, Glad you have access to the custy heartier style.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe;

The ones that we had in Guadalajara were completely different than regular carnitas, that are cooked in oil. This pork was braised with a combination of spices and the taste was entirely unique.

Seemingly can't get Italy off the mind:

IMG_8238.thumb.jpeg.49fdce30ab44cb1e22a16869f032d8c5.jpeg

Marcella beans pre-cooked (with garlic, onions, herbs), then tossed with even more olive oil, topped with Parmigiano and bread crumbs and baked for 30 minutes. Just great.

IMG_8237.thumb.jpeg.2f931e282f76debc972996d05e0840c5.jpeg

Cicoria, cooked for a while. Not till it was grey, unfortunately.

IMG_8239.thumb.jpeg.620d184a6b352f348202c8967cb016ed.jpeg

Black truffle risotto.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, heidih said:

Never heard of that prep. Kinda like Hasselback but just simple scored and roasted to crisp outsides?

I just invented it (the name, at least!) lol

Sliced potatoes in half, skin side down in seasoned water that comes up half way.  'Braised' on medium - removed, skin peeled. 

Used the back of my knife to make the ridge lines that resembled a turtle shell.  Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The ones that we had in Guadalajara were completely different than regular carnitas, that are cooked in oil. This pork was braised with a combination of spices and the taste was entirely unique.

Here, carnitas are braised.  They are used in tortas.  Extremely tender.  

Chicharrones are fried in oil in large vats, often on street corners.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Any idea what seasonings they use in the braising liquid?

No, for tortas ahogados all the seasoning is in the dipping broth which is quite spicy and orange.  It's the only torta I buy...hooked on them.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Some options.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMHO, it is the pork that creates the flavor.    I usually simply add an onion and a few garlic cloves and then let the meat do its job.   Additional flavor accents are perhaps best left to later garnishes.    Most will "cook out" during the long braise.

eGullet member #80.

I attempted to make Rendang a few months ago, not knowing anything about it other than that Charlie and a friend watched someone on TV make it.  I went to three stores to try to find everything and had to substitute some things. After some people here who are familiar with the dish gave me some input and Imelda, an on-line friend from Indonesia, sent me some packets with all the proper ingredients, I made it again and it turned out much better. The unmarked packet is toasted coconut.  Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the dish better.

IMG_0564.jpg

PS. this is what Imelda told me about Rendang.  Looks good Norm. There are so many ways to cook rendang, all of them were claimed authentic, depends on the region. Both Indonesia and Malaysia claim the origin of Rendang. This dish is widely accepted as having originated from the ethnic Minangkabau people, also known as ‘Minang,’ from West Sumatra, Indonesia.

I have some packets of rendang seasoning, I can mail you some if you want to try the Indonesian Rendang, all you need is add some coconut powder and chili sauce if you like more heat.

IMG_0568.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Tonight was a what do we have around... I still have Lefse which I posted some time ago.  (so 2 pieces of that with butter rolled up the way I always eat it)

My wife got a micogreen kit from a charity auction.  These are sweet pea microgreens:

20230106_175019.thumb.jpg.ae4ef158bdefaea66753d365ed38df58.jpg  

They remind me of fresh peas which I simply love and am very happy my wife grows each summer.  You don't get the same thing buying frozen peas.  I eat them raw right out of the shell.

for Dessert white grapefruit.  Don't eat this then a microgreen; not a good combo.

20230106_175054.thumb.jpg.9f10997fe348324b069bc7e8128c37a3.jpg

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. There are some really good recipes here but unfortunately the meat in this is not carnitas. It has no browning whatsoever. It's strictly braised in some sort of broth.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

it is the pork that creates the flavor.

I'm beginning to think that this is what I need to do. Maybe just flavor the broth with oregano, cumin, and coriander. I'll see where that gets me.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I attempted to make Rendang a few months ago, not knowing anything about it other than that Charlie and a friend watched someone on TV make it.  I went to three stores to try to find everything and had to substitute some things. After some people here who are familiar with the dish gave me some input and Imelda, an on-line friend from Indonesia, sent me some packets with all the proper ingredients, I made it again and it turned out much better.

That’s quite an adventure. I’m glad you shared it with us.  It is an amazing dish and I believe made it to the very top of the 50 things you need to eat before you die or something. 
Here. 
my memory is better than I thought. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog