Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Enrober Questions

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 readingrilke

readingrilke
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

I don't remember the month of the article, but it was with Ken Soto on the cover

View Post

Did you mean Ken Goto, Jacques right hand man?

View Post

Yes! Sorry for the mistake. It was a story on him, where he stated that his favorite piece of equipment was the Sollich enrober because it gave a perfect coat. I think it was the mini-mars enrober.

My line of credit probably won't materialize, so the LCM for me is a non-issue now. Do you or anyone else have info on the Mol'd Art Temperer with enrobing line? I am mostly concerned with having 'feet' on my enrobed pieces.

#32 Sebastian

Sebastian
  • participating member
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:16 AM

fighting footing (ha!) is a matter of finding the chocolate with the right flow properties and the adjusting your blower and your take off. any enrober/tunnel combination will have at least one detailer, which also will help take off that final bit of excess. there's a little more to it than that, but pretty much any commercially available piece of equipment should provide you with minimal footing once you've got it lined out..

#33 readingrilke

readingrilke
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hello,

I am looking for anyone with experience/critique of the mold'art enrober. Did you have issues with feet? Paper tension, etc.

Best

#34 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

I am looking to purchase an enrobing machine for my small operation. My problem is I am 10 hours of driving away from Montreal where DR & Perfect equipment are located and 9 hours away from Tomric in Buffalo. I am hoping to make it to Montreal to see some demo's so I was wondering if anyone who has used an enrober has some tips or hints for me to watch out for?

I am looking at the smaller pieces of equipment since space is an issue.

The specs offered by the companies tend to be vague. Size, Quantity & price. Since I have never worked with an enrober or seen one in action any suggestions you can offer would be a help!

The pricing is between $10,000 - $21,000 Can$ so you can see I don't want to make this decision lightly, but where do I start? My experience with purchasing equipment so far is the suppliers & manufacturers seem to assume you already know what you are doing and the instructions are minimal.

I am hoping to get the equipment in and be efficient on it before July since that is my busy season!!

Thanks! Beth

#35 etalanian

etalanian
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

When I had my business I used the Hilliard machine, which has a shaker. It is also possible to get a cooling tunnel for it. I loved it. And they were very responsive when I called to ask questions, or when the shaker wire was damaged when an employee dropped something into it that got stuck.

Eileen

Edited by etalanian, 03 February 2008 - 01:46 PM.

Eileen Talanian
[size="3"]HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com
HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com[/size]

[size="3"]As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow[/size]

#36 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

I am looking to purchase an enrobing machine for my small operation.  My problem is I am 10 hours of driving away from Montreal where DR & Perfect equipment are located and 9 hours away from Tomric in Buffalo.  I am hoping to make it to Montreal to see some demo's so I was wondering if anyone who has used an enrober has some tips or hints for me to watch out for?

I am looking at the smaller pieces of equipment since space is an issue. 

The specs offered by the companies tend to be vague.  Size, Quantity & price.  Since I have never worked with an enrober or seen one in action any suggestions you can offer would be a help!

The pricing is between $10,000 - $21,000 Can$ so you can see I don't want to make this decision lightly, but where do I start?  My experience with purchasing equipment so far is the suppliers & manufacturers seem to assume you already know what you are doing and the instructions are minimal.

I am hoping to get the equipment in and be efficient on it before July since that is my busy season!!

Thanks!  Beth

View Post

hi,

you might want to checkout this thread --) http://forums.egulle...opic=99001&st=0

if you scroll down you will find my little enrober home story :-)
if you have any question i be glad to help you...

cheers

t.
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

#37 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

http://www.hilliards..._HandCoater.cfm

Has anyone used this hand coater from Hilliard's??
AwholeLottaChocolate

#38 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:03 AM

I haven't used it, but I had a good look at it. Problem is no paper take off for the product - very limiting in how one person could work with it.

#39 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

I haven't used it, but I had a good look at it.  Problem is no paper take off for the product - very limiting in how one person could work with it.

View Post

Can you please explain what a paper take off is?? Thanks!

Edited by u2star, 12 June 2008 - 01:20 PM.

AwholeLottaChocolate

#40 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image

Here is a picture of a Selmi enrober. As you can see on the right you have the chain which marches the items to be enrobed through the shower of chocolate. On the left is an independent belt that has a roll of wax paper feeding it. The enrobed items make their way on to the wax paper, where they can be removed on sheets of plexiglass or metal to the cooling area. Alternately the wax paper belt can continue into a cooling tunnel which starts at room temperature at the intake end, steps down to cooling temperature and then returns them to room temperature at the outflow.

#41 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

Here is a picture of a Selmi enrober.  As you can see on the right you have the chain which marches the items to be enrobed through the shower of chocolate.  On the left is an independent belt that has a roll of wax paper feeding it.  The enrobed items make their way on to the wax paper, where they can be removed on sheets of plexiglass or metal to the cooling area.  Alternately the wax paper belt can continue into a cooling tunnel which starts at room temperature at the intake end, steps down to cooling temperature and then returns them to room temperature at the outflow.

View Post

I agree with Kerry. If you can afford it go with the Selmi. That's what I'm going to get when I get the funds.

Luis

#42 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

I was supposed to be taking a couple of guys down to see the Selmi on Monday, but they are unable to go at the last minute. Darn! I love to go down and play with the thing. I will have to drop by and visit it anyway.

#43 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the photos! I think Hilliards has something like this that attaches to the unit. What model is this Selmi?? Is there a distributer in the United States?

Thanks!
Diane
AwholeLottaChocolate

#44 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the photos!  I think Hilliards has something like this that attaches to the unit.  What model is this Selmi??  Is there a distributer in the United States?

Thanks!
Diane

View Post

I may be mistaken but I don't think the Hilliard Hand Coater or the Jumbo Hand Coater enrober has a paper takeoff. I think they may make bigger units that do. I think their six inch coater is the first size that can, and I think it requires modification to do so.

The distributor for the Selmi in the US (actually all of North America) is Tomric plastics in Buffalo. They have a whole demo kitchen there and will train you on the use of the equipment. If you reach a point where you are considering this, send me a PM and I'll happily connect you to the right people there.

Edited by Kerry Beal, 12 June 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#45 ChristopherMichael

ChristopherMichael
  • participating member
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

If anyone is interested in the Selmi, here's the email/contact information for the guy you want to talk to.

Sean Tucci @ Tomric
email: stucci@tomric.com
You can also call Tomric and they will transfer you to him.

He's the guy you need to talk to for any Selmi sales, questions, etc...

Don't bother emailing Selmi directly, because you will not get a response or at least without bugging them to death.

#46 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am happy a Selmi dist. is available in the USA. Any idea on cost?

:)
Diane

Edited by u2star, 13 June 2008 - 03:49 PM.

AwholeLottaChocolate

#47 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Wow-I can't stop researching....

Mol d'art has some nice machines too. Does anyone use these???

http://www.moldart.b...roductID=220697

http://www.moldart.b...roductID=220699
AwholeLottaChocolate

#48 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the info.  I am happy a Selmi dist. is available in the USA.  Any idea on cost?

:)
Diane

View Post

With enrober - about $33,000.

#49 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Mol d'art has some nice machines too.  Does anyone use these???

View Post

The second one shown here is similar to the 'Perfect' equipment machine made in Montreal. Much more reasonably priced than others. There is quite a difference in the machines with the wheels vs the automatic tempering machines such as the Selmi.

#50 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

I am considering the Easy 1 by Perfect Equipment. I did some reference checks and only a few machines were sold at that time. A company in Montreal was pleased with the product but I am going to follow up with them and also contact any other new customers. The machine will cost approx $19k CAD. I am going to be in Montreal in September and I will check out the machine first hand.

#51 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

View Post

The second one shown here is similar to the 'Perfect' equipment machine made in Montreal. Much more reasonably priced than others. There is quite a difference in the machines with the wheels vs the automatic tempering machines such as the Selmi.

View Post

It seems as though the Mol d'art machines are more resonably priced than the competitors.
AwholeLottaChocolate

#52 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:10 AM

View Post

View Post

It seems as though the Mol d'art machines are more resonably priced than the competitors.

View Post

The wheeled machines are cheaper than the non wheeled, mold'art appears well priced in the whelled market. But do check out www.perfectinc.com

#53 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

I am considering the Easy 1 by Perfect Equipment.  I did some reference checks and only a few machines were sold at that time. A company in Montreal was pleased with the product but I am going to follow up with them and also contact any other new customers. The machine will cost approx $19k CAD.  I am going to be in Montreal in September and I will check out the machine first hand.

View Post

It's a nice looking machine (except for the orange colour). I didn't realize that one was in operation yet. When I contacted them to come up and check it out in May they were still wiring it they said.

An advantage is that it's 220 single phase so you don't have to get the adapter. That makes it a bit bigger than the Selmi, but it's a lot less expensive.

I'm anxious to get a first hand look at it too.

#54 Marmalade

Marmalade
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hi:

I just bought a Prefamac 30kg machine with the enrober attachment from bakonusa.com. It was about $20,000. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other machines for more money, but thus far it's been great for both molded pieces and enrobing. Basically takes 2 people to operate, but I am very pleased with the results. It's a good machine for mid-volume and not as steep as LCM, Savvy or some others. Also I am very pleased with the customer service from Luc at Bakon USA. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them.
Jeffrey Stern
www.jeffreygstern.com
http://bit.ly/cKwUL4
http://destination-ecuador.net
cocoapodman at gmail dot com

#55 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Hi:

I just bought a Prefamac 30kg machine with the enrober attachment from bakonusa.com. It was about $20,000. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other machines for more money, but thus far it's been great for both molded pieces and enrobing. Basically takes 2 people to operate, but I am very pleased with the results. It's a good machine for mid-volume and not as steep as LCM, Savvy or some others. Also I am very pleased with the customer service from Luc at Bakon USA. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

View Post

It's got a wheel, doesn't it? How do you find cleanup? Do you find the chocolate thickens significantly during the day?

Edited by Kerry Beal, 14 June 2008 - 07:54 AM.

#56 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

It's a nice looking machine (except for the orange colour). I didn't realize that one was in operation yet. When I contacted them to come up and check it out in May they were still wiring it they said.

An advantage is that it's 220 single phase so you don't have to get the adapter. That makes it a bit bigger than the Selmi, but it's a lot less expensive.

I'm anxious to get a first hand look at it too.

View Post

[/quote]

The Easy-1 is in use at chocolaterie Geneviève Grandbois.
Perfect sent me a demo video of the machine and it seemed easy enough to use. He told me that they had about 4 orders pending and that was last year.

#57 u2star

u2star
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

I am truly amazed at the selection of machines available after viewing this topic. How in the world does anyone choose??

Diane
AwholeLottaChocolate

#58 prairiegirl

prairiegirl
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

I am truly amazed at the selection of machines available after viewing this topic.  How in the world does anyone choose?? 

Diane

View Post

I am having to decide by price. Oh, it must be up to good standards but I need to get the biggest bang for my dollar. Being in Canada it is easier for me to do the purchase with Perfect rather than importing.

#59 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

View Post

View Post

Kerry,
From what I understand, the one with a wheel is not as desirable, because the chocolate will thicken, but the selmi won't. Am I correct in that understanding?
Luis

#60 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Kerry,
From what I understand, the one with a wheel is not as desirable, because the chocolate will thicken, but the selmi won't. Am I correct in that understanding?
Luis

View Post

That is how I understand it. I think the final tempering occurs just as the chocolate is drawn up through the screw that dispenses the chocolate.