Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Amer Picon & Torani Amer

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#151 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Calisaya is on their list and I've never heard of it. If you go, remember that dell'Erborista is about 3-4x more expensive to buy than the others. Just sayin'.

I hear you.

Regarding Calisaya, see Amaro 104.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 09 October 2014 - 04:41 PM.

• Craig E likes this

#152 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

Another nice one with Picon - End of Days by Matthew Schrage with Rittenhouse rye, Amer Picon (Picon bière), Abbott's bitters, Henri Bardouin pastis (St. George absinthe) float.

16152115697_e54aee9fe7_z.jpg

#153 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

Another nice one with Picon - End of Days by Matthew Schrage with Rittenhouse rye, Amer Picon (Picon bière), Abbott's bitters, Henri Bardouin pastis (St. George absinthe) float.

Have you ever tried any of the suggested homemade Amer Picon substitutes to see if it is any different from using Picon Bière (in or out of the drink). Having neither the Picon Bière nor the original Amer Picon (whether it be the true original higher proof or the more recent lower proof versions) it is hard for me to tell if Amer Torani, Amere Nouvelle, Ramazotti, the Boudreau or Wondrich recipes or anything else for that matter makes a lick of difference!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#154 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

In your list I have only tried Ramazotti, but it's a different flavor profile, less orange-forward.

#155 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

The closest in flavor to the real Picon that I've tried is CioCiaro, but it's more complex and less caramelly than the real deal.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#156 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

I have generally stuck to the CioCiaro/Everclear/Angostura orange formula the Professor suggested in this post for the most part, which of course uses Amaro CioCiaro, but never having had the original Amer Picon I am just relying on his personal experience with the real thing. The Boudreau recipe just seems like too much work.

If I get really lazy I make do with the CioCiaro and a dash or two of orange bitters! As it is finding Angostura orange bitters can sometimes be a challenge in its own right.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#157 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Here's the tasting I just completed...for science. Still processing the results, and will post detail later. However, I will say that after I was done I went about trying to create a better stand-in for the real thing based on products I had around the house, and Lemon Hart 151 was involved.

The lineup, from right to left: 100/15/1 Mix (a la Wondrich), The Violet Hour's House Picon Mix, Picon Bière, the Original Amer.

Attached Images

• 0.jpg

• FrogPrincesse likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#158 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Here are my notes:

100/15/1 Wondrich Mix

Aroma: Heat, Ethanol, Cardamom (from the Angostura), Bitter Orange Peel

Flavor: Syrupy, burnt orange. Glycerin-like artificial smoothness at first, but finishes with a sharpness from the rectified spirit. The Angostura Orange flavors (which I most associate with subcontinental spices) dominate.

The Violet Hour Picon Mix

Aroma: Dried Seville orange, marmalade-like. Reminiscent of Amaro Nonino.

Flavor: Lighter. More subtly bitter, but mouth-coating and lingering, evokes Gran Classico. No burned/cooked/caramel flavors.

Picon Bière

Aroma: Suze...gentian, gentian, gentian, burnt orange. (Here, I stopped to wonder if Crêpe Suzette might have originally been made with Suze?)

Flavor: Gentian bitterness, orange sweetness. A smooth, caramelized finish. Pretty inoffensive, not particularly interesting.

Vintage Amer Picon

Aroma: Brandy-soaked fruitcake? A bit musty. Clearly higher proof than the last two.

Flavor: Clean/angular, burnt bitterness. Orange only appears in the aftertaste, but the finish is ridiculously long. The orange note is more Campari-like than any of the others. There's a sweetness to it, and some hogo or something very similar...reminds me of the lower-proof Inner Circle rums (blue/red dot), though this could just be the age of the bottle and/or whatever bleached the label showing through.

I'm left with the impression that the original started with fruit-based distillate, likely grape, not neutral spirit. In playing around with trying to recreate the flavor, I mixed up a blend of Amaro CioCiaro, Louis Royer Force 53, and Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao (2:1:1)...it wasn't all that close. Swapping the Force 53 for Lemon Hart 151 and adding a couple drops of Ango Orange felt like I was getting closer. That said, I'm not sold on the integrity of my original sample. I have another sealed bottle and will have to do a side-by-side once the first starts to get low.

• FrogPrincesse, tanstaafl2, Rafa and 1 other like this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#159 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for taking one for the team! I wonder if something like a high proof grappa (if such a thing exists) would give you the grape base you note over vodka or grain alcohol?

~tanstaafl2

#160 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for taking one for the team! I wonder if something like a high proof grappa (if such a thing exists) would give you the grape base you note over vodka or grain alcohol?

Yeah, that was my thought as well, but it's not something I'd keep around. Closest thing I have is a 76 proof German vineyard peach eau de vie.

DeVoto, The Hour