Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pegu Club

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#61 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

A certain amount of showmanship has been part of the bartending craft ever since there has been a bartending craft. Think of Jerry Thomas pouring a flaming arc of whiskey, boiling water and sugar between two tumblers as he made his famous Blue Blazer (click here for a picture of JT making one). Snapping the shaker back after pouring the last drop into the glass, flaming a twist, twirling the Sazerac glass to coat it with absinthe, flipping a closed Boston shaker in your hand to put the mixing glass on top before shaking, breaking the seal with a special slap, lifting the mixing glass high to watch the last few drops fall back into the metal cup, twirling the muddler in your fingers to shake off the rinsing water, pouring from the crack between the metal cup and the mixing glass instead of using the Hawthorne strainer, etc. -- these are all the sort of things that have been part of a skilled bartender's repertoire. I think we all agree that there is a big difference between these things and the kind of juggling one sees from Vegas-style bartenders.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with simply measuring the liquors, shaking the drink and straining it into the glass. And there are plenty of highly skilled bartenders who prefer this method.

Ultimately the proof is in the product. If the drink is made with a certain amount of joie de vivre and, dare I say, flair -- that's okay by me so long as the drink is good. All too often for the juggling bartender the product is secondary to the show. Needless to say, this is not the case with respect to the bartenders at Pegu.

In terms of "authenticity" and "old school vibe" it strikes me as entirely appropriate that some of the bartenders at Pegu have more flair in their technique than others.

I do have to say, having been to Pegu Club many times at this point -- sometimes straight to closing -- that I've never seen any flair go over the top there. Maybe once or twice I've seen a metal cup dropped (never one with anything in it). That happens sometimes no matter where you go. I've also been there when the ice in a shaker exploded and the shaker slipped open and rained a little liquid on a customer at the bar. These things happen when you sit at a bar and someone is shaking a drink three feet away from you. I should point out, I suppose, that whoever was doing the shaking when the shaker slipped open was not someone who incorporated any flair -- might even have been Audrey, so it can happen to anyone.

Flair is an interesting topic of discussion in and of itself. If we would like to continue discussion of flair in general, please let's start a thread in the Fine Spirits and Cocktails Forum. I've been wanting to sound out thoughts on flair ever since I saw a competition on television for "World's Best Bartender" -- which as far as I could tell was a juggling contest.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#62 scovilleFiend

scovilleFiend
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:10 AM

Went to Pegu around 10:30 friday night, and it was still fairly empty which meant there were a few spots left at the bar. The only spots for two were at the end against the wall. Near here behind the "wall" is where they seem to mix the table drinks. Originally I was thinking being in the center would be best, because that way I could listen to more of what the bartender was saying when he was helping others. Though that certainly would have been nice, I got to see an awful lot of drinks being made from my vantage point for tables.

I started off with a pegu club cocktail, lets just say I felt obligated to try it. The blend of fruitiness, bitterness, and strength was a very good mix, and went down smooth. Really too smooth, pegu's drinks are far too easy to consume, and I had to make a concerted effort to drink slowly. The glasses of water were a good way to do this, and were attentively refilled. I did enjoy the pegu club cocktail, but I was not wooed by it, I wouldn't say. My companion got a gin-gin mule, which was not to my tastes. It was very good, but I like the bite of alcohol in my drinks, and in the gin-gin mule the ginger cut the bite far too perfectly.

I saw a lot of drinks being made with egg whites, and asked our bartender about it. I got a good explanation, and he probably could have steered me towards trying one if he chose to. We were dallying about a second drink, and he dropped off another menu so we could have a gander. The chartreuse caught our collective eye, and we asked about it. We got a mini-history rundown on it, and a good description of the liquor. Being pegu club, he poured us a small amount to try. Actually, he poured it, and then lit it on fire to cut some of the bite so we could taste more of the flavor. I can't believe I have never had this stuff before, and was swooned by the chartreuse.

My wife next wanted to follow hers up with a tantric sidecar, due to her need for fruitiness and the drops of chartreuse in it. Our bartender (toby) thought she should stick to gin, and made something in the fruity-gin vein. The kicker to that drink was the blackberry syrup he had made that morning from blackberries bought at a farmstand. The drink was topped with one of these berries, which was probably the largest one I've ever seen. The syrup was a fantastic addition, though apparently the berry itself was rather bitter.

Knowing that I had an extremely knowledgeable bartender on my side, I felt it would be a waste to order off the menu again. I would urge others if they are sitting at the bar to try and learn something, and branch out a bit. Not that I have to mention that here...I mentioned that I'd like to have something with a little more bite to it, and that I really liked the chartreuse. He asked if I preferred bitter or sweet, and asked my opinion on campari. With the knowledge that I thought campari's primary flavor was disagreeable, but not because of its bitterness, he knew what he was going to make for me. In the end, I got what he called a "Daisy May". I think that was the name at least. The drink was, if I remember correctly, comprised of overstock organic gin, junipero, and chartreuse. A generous bush of mint was nestled on the top of it. This was the most perfect, most amazing, most sublime cocktail I have ever had. The mint made it so that I could get the drink to my mouth without too much alcohol in the nose, and the flavor was just...incredible. This was the drink I wanted, absolutely perfect. For me it was the cocktail equivalent of a finely seared foie gras with cracked pepper and fleur de sel.

Everyone: Place yourself in the hands of the Pegu bartenders. I cannot imagine them steering you wrong.

Edited by scovilleFiend, 02 October 2005 - 04:47 PM.

#63 baw

baw
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the report, scovilleFiend. It captured what I like best about the place: the possibility to learn and taste new things, and that the bartenders really try and tailor things to your individual taste. I've found that after going a number of times, the bartenders even remember your personal preferences from visit to visit, and try to suggest things you might like, much as Toby was steering scovilleFiend and his wife. Toby and Phil in particular are a real wealth of information and always eager to try new things out with you, but all of the bar staff is great. Its a real treat having such personal interaction with the bartenders. I was just there tonight, a Sunday. It was very mellow.. I (still) highly recommend checking the place out on a Sunday-Tuesday if you want to be sure of a quiet time.

Edited by baw, 02 October 2005 - 07:51 PM.

#64 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

Knowing that I had an extremely knowledgeable bartender on my side, I felt it would be a waste to order off the menu again.

It may be a mistake to think it's a "waste to order off the menu," unless you've tried everything on the menu. The menu was compiled by Audrey Saunders and features many of her creations. Audrey is one of the foremost creators of cocktails working today, and it would be a shame to miss out on any of her drinks. Don't miss out on the Tantris Sidecar, the Punt e Mes Fizz, the Gin Gin Mule, the Old Cuban and the Earl Gray MarTEAni. . . and don't be afraid to ask about any other Saunders specials (the "Dreamy Dorini Smoking Martini" is a favorite of mine).

This is to say that a big part of what makes Pegu Club special is what Audrey and partners have done in bringing together one of the top bar staffs in the country, laying down the vibe and giving the talented staff unprecedented space in which to work and materials with which to work. But a big part of it is also just Audrey.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#65 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

This is to say that a big part of what makes Pegu Club special is what Audrey and partners have done in bringing together one of the top bar staffs in the country, laying down the vibe and giving the talented staff unprecedented space in which to work and materials with which to work. But a big part of it is also just Audrey.

I have enviously been reading this thread since it's inception, and I can hardly wait until I can make my first visit to Pegu Club. I've sent everyone I know that lives or works in New York there so I could live vicariously through them and check this place out. Audrey has been particularly generous toward me, a fellow professional, who aspires to someday be half as good at setting up an amazingly cool bar. I'm eagerly awaiting my opportunity to come visit and thank her personally for the inspiration and guidance.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#66 Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton
  • 961 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

Audrey, i gotta ask:  who does your PR?  Impressive.

A few weeks ago, the subject of PR was raised at the Pegu Club and I learned Audrey and her partners do their own publicity the old fashioned way, they make better cocktails in pleasant surroundings. Do a good job and the thirsty world will beat a path to your door, even without a sign visible from the street.

Actually, everything I've seen about the Pegu Club in the press was written by writers that got the story the old fashioned way, by getting out their pens and paper and going to the source. Not to say there hasn't been plenty written about the Pegu, but I wouldn't call it PR.

Like eGullet, when you find something that's really good, you want to tell their friends about it.
Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com
The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

#67 Mulcahy

Mulcahy
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

I work at a restaurant about a block from Pegu Club, and last night which was my Friday, when I got off my day shift on the line at about 6:00, I decided to give it a try. I was enormously impressed.

First, let me say that I was dressed inappropriately for the exceptionally sexy environs. Jeans, short sleeve shirt, boots. I had also just gotten off work on the line so was sweaty and more than likely smelled a little bit like food. The staff was extraordinarily welcoming (which I had hoped they would be). The hostess was pleasant. Chad, the bartender, was extremely helpful and made me two wonderful drinks from the menu. First I started with the Whiskey Smash, a drink of muddled lemons, mint, and rye. It was refreshing and light with no cloying sweetness. Then I had the Jamaican Firefly which is homemade ginger beer and dark rum. It was the best, most satisfying after work drink I have ever had. The garnish was a spicy piece of candied ginger. What a wonderful concoction. Chad and I chatted about cocktails and booze a bit (a topic about which I am admittedly a novice) but he was also in tune enough with my need to relax that he left me alone to read my book for some time. As a snack I had the smoked trout deviled eggs, which were delicious.

I am counting the days until I can go back. (Which will likely be on my next "Friday").

#68 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

I was in Sunday night, and these guys are on top of their sh*&. It is a geat place and the bartenders are willing to make anything to suit your taste. Some of the best barkeeps around, I would highly recomend Toby and Phil. I love Pegu :wub: as I previously have said I live in north Jersey and I have made this my local.
Matthew Xavier Hassett aka "M.X.Hassett"

"Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters-it is vulgarly called bittered sling and is supposed to be an exellent electioneering potion..."
- Balance and Columbian Repository. May 13, 1806

#69 JimmyR

JimmyR
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

rhubarbd:
if you're into cocktails...you know who Audrey Saunders is and why the Pegu Club is a big deal.

True, true...but good PR does help you get small but effective placements in major magazines. It's actually amazing how much of what we consider news and journalism is really PR in disguise...

In this case, though, it makes me happy! :biggrin: Plus, i learned all about ice and which kind to use for which drink. Very exciting stuff.

Nathan, not only do i know cocktails, but I've followed Audrey, her mentors, and the places she's been affiliated with for years. I did not mean to imply that PR alone was responsible for her success; i was simply asking a question - perhaps too quickly.

Audrey is smart, talented, detail-oriented, and business-savvy. She sensed a niche in the marketplace that was right for her and her partners ... and she jumped in with panache and professionalism. She's worked hard to get where she is, and the praise for her abilities is justified.

It is equally true - just as Megan posted - that strategic PR helps you get where you want to get ... especially if you have a worthwhile story to tell. And the best restaurateurs/mixologists etc. create a team (from FOH staff to marketing consultants) that understand and appreciate their concept - and do everything it takes to execute it well.

And baw - it's not the unending praise for Pegu that's made an impression on me (though kudos to them for carrying it off so well). It's the high-level nature of the placements - in tandem with the praise - that makes all the difference.

Hope i've made myself clearer!

For the record, our ice piece had been in the works for quite some time and it was just coincidence (a happy one from my point of view) that Pegu Club's opening coincided with the issue in which the piece finally ran. I can't speak for any other "major magazine," but as far as I can tell Audrey don't need no stinkin' PR person.

Best, James

James Rodewald
Drinks Editor
Gourmet

#70 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

For the record, our ice piece had been in the works for quite some time and it was just coincidence (a happy one from my point of view) that Pegu Club's opening coincided with the issue in which the piece finally ran. I can't speak for any other "major magazine," but as far as I can tell Audrey don't need no stinkin' PR person.

Best, James

James Rodewald
Drinks Editor
Gourmet

View Post

Forgive my cynicsim - I must be hanging out with too many PR flacks! That said, if Audrey needs someone to sing Pegu's praises, she's got one right here - for free. :wink:
"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#71 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well, just got home (we started with an early dinner) from a lovely evening at Pegu. I partook of a Fitty-Fitty, at the recommendation of our fearless forum host (slkinsey), and it was wonderful - delicious and refreshing. Definitively alcoholic, but not overwhelming. I am now a convert to the twist (in lieu of my usual, the onion), and to the gin martini in lieu of the vodka.

My second (and last, thanks to four glasses of Cabernet with dinner) cocktail was an Earl Grey Mar-Tea-ni, which I really, really enjoyed. It solidified my new committment to gin, and my appreciaton for the accomplishments of the miraculous egg - egg whites make this a light, foamy concoction and save it from being anything close to a gimmicky ubiquitous-tini. Yum - well done, yet again, Audrey. :biggrin:

I do have to say - I prefer sitting at the bar and taking advantage of the bartenders' expertise, but this is harder to do with three people. Next time, I'll take only one and make sure to let the staff guide me.

Edited by Megan Blocker, 15 October 2005 - 10:44 AM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#72 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

Damn missed you guys again :sad:. Well there is not much to add other then that PEGU :wub: is the best. Good people and good libations, what more can you ask for.

"Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters-it is vulgarly called bittered sling and is supposed to be an exellent electioneering potion..."

#73 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:33 AM

Got to have cocktails with some folks last Sunday at Pegu while I was in town for some business- what a beautiful place!! Great for groups with the nice round tables as well as by yourself.

I started with the Pegu Club cocktail as I think you have to try a namesake- excellent cocktail, beautiful glasses!

Next I had the gin gin mule which I really liked, this went down a bit too easy. Loved the candied ginger they served with it.

I also would love to go and hang out at the bar- next time I'm in town!

#74 ellenesk

ellenesk
  • participating member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

Do they take reservations? At 11:30 on a Saturday, what type of wait to expect?

#75 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

Not sure about reservations but I was over there last sat and had no problem but I was alone, it might depend on the number in your party. You should give them a call 212-473-PEGU and prepare for bliss.

#76 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

From the web site:

We do not take reservations, nor do we intentionally prioritize guests as they arrive. It is our priority to take care of each guest on a first-come, first-serve basis.  As far as we're concerned everyone's a star, and it's more interesting to see what kind of characters fill up the room anyway. . .

If you're a large group arriving at 11:30 on Saturday, I don't think you'll have much chance of getting seats at the bar -- and depending on the night, you might have to wait to get in.

Got to have cocktails with some folks last Sunday at Pegu while I was in town for some business- what a beautiful place!!

Don't forget that Seattle has a pretty great place in The Zig Zag Cafe. In fact, I had a chance to meet one of the guys from Zig Zag a few weeks ago trading recipes at the Pegu Club bar.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#77 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

The Zig Zag is good Samuel but it doesn't have the same vibe that Pegu club has. The drinks are top notch and Murray has been tending bar in Seattle for a long time, I dare to say he served me when I was 23!!

Another comparison may be Sambar in Ballard, the vibe here is definately more Pegu Club, the cocktails depend on the bartender......

BTW, tonight my husband made us Pegu Club cocktails based on David Wondrich's recommendation, yum!!

#78 M.X.Hassett

M.X.Hassett
  • legacy participant
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

Please go. If you like a properly made drink go. For the love of god go. Yes you, logout and go now. Quit your job ditch the SO sell all of your possessions and GO NOW.

#79 lambretta76

lambretta76
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:28 AM

Went again last night for a quick cocktail after a so-so Ambulance Ltd. show at the Bowery. The cocktails were great as always - I had the apple cobbler, highly nuanced drink with about a half a page worth of ingredients - shaved this and muddled that. A bit sweet, perhaps, but very good. I was a bit put off by the floating orchid in it, but I'll live. It can't be a girl drink if it's made with applejack.

The waitress and hostess again were incredibly friendly and (the waitress) quite knowlegable - the best in any bar in NYC. However, the soundtrack has switched from jazz to 'jazzy house', or that kind of music typically found at any lounge in New York. I was a bit disappointed at the change, as it made the scene all a bit cheesier, more loungey (obviously). I hope they consider going back to the slightly more formal, classier jazz, even if this isn't an entirely classy place. (Though the room is beautiful.)

#80 baw

baw
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:26 AM

I was also there last night with a group of 10-11 people. 8 of us were first timers and I think everyone was pretty psyched about the place. There are 3 new drinks on the Fall menu, the Apple Cobbler lambretta reffered to being one. There is also a Negroni and (I think) an applejack manhattan. (sorry for not remembering; we were there to celebrate so I was already a couple glasses of champagne in by the time we arrived.) I was impressed by the table service for our big group: friendly, knowlegeable and well-paced. The place was full during the time that we were there (around 9-11) but all of our drinks and chow came pretty quickly. The folks behind the bar must *really* be busting their butts to get huge numbers of labor intensive drinks out as fast, and as high quality, as they do. I had a lovely Martinez cocktail and an Old Fashioned.

Edited by baw, 28 October 2005 - 07:28 AM.

#81 plattetude

plattetude
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

As I recall, the Negroni was actually a variation called the Cornwall Negroni, in tribute to Gary Regan. It included Punt e Mez and Regan's Orange Bitters #6 along with the standard Campari and gin (Plymouth, I think it was), and a flamed orange peel.

The "applejack manhattan" was actually more a reverse applejack manhattan called Perfect Parallel, having sweet and dry vermouth as the base and applejack in lesser amount. A crabapple slice serves as garnish.

(I tried one of each the other night. Both superb in their very different ways.)

Christopher

#82 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Well - I finally made it to Pegu earlier this week on a sojourn to Manhattan. Can I say that it's my new favorite bar? :wub: What a wonderful place, with incredibly knowlegeable bartenders (shout out to Chad and his encyclopedic brain of all things cocktail and spirits related), incredibly care taken with the freshest ingredients and a bar well stocked with the finest spirits. Throw in the mellow vibe and gorgeous decor and it's heavenly. A place I'd frequent far too often if I lived closer by.

I had the pleasure of meeting a few fellow eGulleteers for a drink or two. Cachaca Dave and M.X.Hassett are both great company and loads of fun to talk to. My friend Claire and I tried several cocktails each. I ordered some of the house specialties, but she decided to leave her fate in the well trained hands of Chad, our bartender with the mostest that evening. After explaining that she was normally a scotch drinker, a perfect Blood & Sand appeared before her. I liked it too, and I normally don't like scotch in the least. I tried an Apple Cobbler first and it was very tasty. Quite a lot going on in that drink. I then tried a Pineapple Sour and really enjoyed it. Claire asked Chad to surprise her, so he whipped up a Fruit Cup. It was delicious and gave me the sudden urge to go play a round of croquet! :laugh: When I asked Chad to surprise me he made me a Williams Fizz which I really enjoyed. I love pear flavors in almost anything and the aromatic tincture of cloves floating atop the drink was just the right spicing for it. Lastly I tried a Tantris Sidecar to end the night and it was a revelation. I've always been a Sidecar drinker and Calvados sidecars are my favorite. Since this had both Cognac and Calvados I knew I would love it and I was not disappointed. Delicious drink that I'm going to have to master for at home.

Added bonus was getting to meet Dale DeGroff who happened to be at the bar that evening too. He's incredibly charming and a hoot to converse with. We had a blast and Mr. DeGroff was gracious enough to buy us a few drinks. I don't often get to meet one of my personal heros, so that was just about as much fun as I've ever had. Sadly, Audrey was off that night, so I didn't get the chance to say hello, but I will definitely be back before long and I hope to see her then.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#83 bergerka

bergerka
  • participating member
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

Eric_Malson and I hit Pegu last night after a tango lesson in the East Village. Naturally, our first objective was to sexually harass Toby and Phil, who look FAR too cute in their Pegu togs, but we figured while we were at it we might as well have a few drinks.

I think I remember everything I had...I know I started with the Perfect Parallel, which was amazing - light and refreshing and full o' applejack goodness. Then I had ummmm...a Jack Rose, I think, couldn't tell you what's in it other than applejack and pomegranate syrup, but it looks like a "girl" drink (the pink exactly matched my jacket, actually), tastes like a real drink, and packs a wallop. Then I had a Cornwall Negroni, I think, which was lovely - and oh yeah, then Phil surprised me and made a gin-gin mule with muddled cucumber and strawberries instead of mint. It made me want to go sit on a beach somewhere and watch the ocean while I drank it. :wub:

Finally, Eric and I shared a delicious, sparkly, STRONG Jimmie Roosevelt.

I then staggered home, and just got out of bed about twenty minutes ago. :blink:

I have to say - I love everything about Pegu, not least that I can walk in, say "Toby (Phil, Chad...), whatever you feel like making is just fine with me," but last night I had the most fun watching the people around us get excited enough about OUR drinks to branch out from raspberry martinis (or Maker's and coke. Why ruin perfectly good bourbon like that?) into something totally different that they had no idea they'd like. :cool:

K
Basil endive parmesan shrimp live
Lobster hamster worchester muenster
Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi
Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert
Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks
Provolone flatbread goat's head soup
Gruyere cheese angelhair please
And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.
--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

#84 Eric_Malson

Eric_Malson
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

Eric_Malson and I hit Pegu last night after a tango lesson in the East Village.  Naturally, our first objective was to sexually harass Toby and Phil, who look FAR too cute in their Pegu togs, but we figured while we were at it we might as well have a few drinks.

View Post

Speak for yourself! As you know, I am always the model of decorum! :biggrin:

There's very little to add, except that my favorite drink of the evening is the one Phil surprised me with--a Little Italy. Rye, sweet vermouth and Cynar, served up. It tastes even better than it sounds... a pretty spectacular drink.
My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

#85 richl2214

richl2214
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

Great time Saturday. Walked in at 11pm and sat right down at a window table for two right across from the bar. All the drinks were impeccable but the Apple Cranberry special was my favorite. Truthfully I had to gag down the Earl Grey MarTeaNi because the finish was so dry. The cocktail itself was excellent but just not agreable with my taste buds.

Great place, unpretentious, cool atmosphere, friendly staff and killer drinks! Still I don't think they can hold a candle to the drinks and atmosphere of Milk and Honey but that place is a totally different animal.

Edited by richl2214, 01 November 2005 - 10:54 AM.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

#86 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

I always laugh when I think about the various liquors and ingredients of which Pegu Club is going through unprecedented amounts. I am quite sure, for example, that they are going through as much Rittenhouse rye, Punt e Mes and Green Chartreuse as the rest of the island of Manhattan combined. And I've got to suspect that they're going through a significant percentage of NYC's Laird's applejack now, too.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#87 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

It is pretty safe to say I haven't been to another bar recently that had Creme de Violette behind the bar. :smile:
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#88 bergerka

bergerka
  • participating member
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

Eric_Malson and I got to spend some quality time with Brian tonight at Pegu. . . another fabulous bartender there. Here is a "Last Word" he made for me:

Posted Image

A great guy, too. I wish I'd taken a picture of the New York Sour he made for Eric, but let's just say my hands were none to steady by that time. It's nice to know that no matter who you're dealing with at Pegu, you're going to have a uniquely wonderful experience!
Basil endive parmesan shrimp live
Lobster hamster worchester muenster
Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi
Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert
Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks
Provolone flatbread goat's head soup
Gruyere cheese angelhair please
And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.
--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

#89 lostmyshape

lostmyshape
  • participating member
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

heading here with my wife and mother-in-law tomorrow night! can't wait! hope to see some of you there (not that i'd know what you look like, but we'll try to be extra friendly at the bar).

#90 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

Have fun, lostmyshape! It's a real good time... :wink:

Made myself a Fitty-Fitty here in Florida (stuck here for Turkey Day and a wedding) - it was good, but not nearly as good as the one at Pegu!

Queenie Takes Manhattan