Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Indian Cookbooks

Cookbook Indian

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 maremosso

maremosso
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:47 AM

I have a question for Monica:

what do you think of the "50 Curries" cookbokbook by Camelia Punjabi?
Is it authentic Indian cuisine?
I was thinking of buying it.

Thanks.

#62 Monica Bhide

Monica Bhide
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:55 AM

Its an excellent book, my vote would be to buy it and treasure it :smile:
Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

#63 Kapuliperson

Kapuliperson
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:55 PM

I've got 4 or 5 of them.

#64 maremosso

maremosso
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

Essential Goa Cookbook, The - Maria Teresa Menezes I don't know why, I didn't like this much. Goan cuisine is really delicious and historically very interesting because of the fusion between so many cultures - Portueguese, Hindu, Muslim. There is a long and lively Goan tradition of appreciating and writing about food. Menezes somehow doesn't do this justice[/quote]

Is it just her style or are the recipes not that great as well?

Pat

View Post

[/quote]

Having lived 10 years in Goa (out of 30 years in India), I can tell you that there are strict divisions in the diet and the cooking habits of the Goans.
Christian Goans' food is characterized by the use of vinegar in their cooking and masala mixtures, whereas the Goan Hindus use tamarind, as well as many more spices in general.
The Christian cooking will also be influenced by many Portuguese techniques, and the Goan Hindu cuisine will inevitably be dictated by the caste of the users.
The two cuisines are not interchangeable in people's homes.

The author you mention seems to be a Christian, and therefore would only have a handle on her community's cuisine.

#65 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:34 PM

731!

#66 bague25

bague25
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:19 AM

I've finally got down to doing a count - ok, it was a good excuse to arrange this book shelf :laugh:

164 Indian cookbooks (I'm not including ones on Asian cooking that include a chapter on Indian cooking - I have about 30 of those!) and 4 on their way...

Edited to add these books are in English, French, Hindi and Marathi (I'll soon be adding Dutch to that list)...

Edited by bague25, 07 September 2004 - 12:21 AM.

#67 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:48 AM

I'm +2 myself - both of them Monica's books. From what I've seen so far (only got them yesterday), they deserve every bit of praise they've received and then some. These and bague25's books brings the total so far to trrrrrrraaaarrrraaannnn.......

901! :cool:

Imagine having all those cookbooks in one place!

Suman

#68 Monica Bhide

Monica Bhide
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:45 AM

Just added "Indian Essence" to my collection. From the looks of it, its a must have
Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

#69 Peppertrail

Peppertrail
  • participating member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:46 PM

I just added two to my collection- The new Tastes of India by Das Sreedharan and Purba: Feasts from the East by Laxmi Parida.

Ammini
Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

#70 Rushina

Rushina
  • participating member
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

I now have 20 books on Indian Cooking, added the 50 curries book. I highly recommend it!

Rushina

#71 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:30 AM

905! Come on guys, let's make it a thousand before the end of this year! There, I've provided the excuse....not that anyone here needs one to buy cookbooks.

Suman

#72 theminx

theminx
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:43 AM

I feel like such a rank amateur with my paltry collection of Indian cookbooks. I think I have 6 or 7, including Monica's Everything Indian, one Madhur Jaffrey, Curries and Bugles, and one called Mughal Microwave.

I have about 300 cookbooks in all, a goodly amount of which feature chocolate :)

#73 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:11 PM

912! Kathy, I wouldn't call myself a chocoholic (although I go through these phases in life when I don't feel secure without a box of ferrero rocher(sp?) in the house) and yet I find that of all the cookbooks I own, the chocolate ones are the most seductive. You can't open one without instantly wanting to make or at the very least eat something chocolatey. Mmmmm chocolate - what's not to like?

Suman

Edited by rajsuman, 22 September 2004 - 02:12 PM.

#74 theminx

theminx
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:35 AM

Mmmmm chocolate - what's not to like?

View Post

Believe it or not, there are people out there who don't like chocolate! Strange but true! Not in my household though...both DH and I adore it.

Any way to get chocolate in an Indian dish? I was thinking maybe something akin to a molé dish. Not authentic, of course...but trying to keep to the thread here ;)

#75 RSincere

RSincere
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

I'll add my two! The Everything Indian Cookbook by Monica Bhide, have you heard of her? :biggrin: And I couldn't help it, I got another book, From Curries to Kebabs by Madhur Jaffrey. I don't know if I get to count that as an Indian cookbook because she also includes recipes from Asia and Africa etc. (from the spice trail). But she is Indian and there are many Indian recipes in the book so I think it should count! My next purchase will probably be Monica's other book...and I'm embarrassed but I can't think of the name of it right now. :unsure:

Edited by RSincere, 24 September 2004 - 06:44 PM.

Rachel Sincere

#76 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:34 PM

914! Come on guys, only 86 to go before we hit the 1000 mark. Rachel, Monica's other book is 'The Spice is Right'.

#77 bague25

bague25
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

9 new ones arrived!

#78 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:02 PM

923!

#79 Sleepy_Dragon

Sleepy_Dragon
  • participating member
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:38 PM

Another three for me, I just ordered both of Monica's books and Suvir's as well. My collection is still way puny compared to most of you though!

Pat
"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

#80 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

926!

#81 gingerly

gingerly
  • participating member
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:30 PM

+2.
ark?why do you ask? :rolleyes:

#82 Peppertrail

Peppertrail
  • participating member
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:42 AM

Suman:

I have one more, that makes the total 929... and counting.

Ammini
Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

#83 Aileen

Aileen
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:12 AM

Wow, my collection is tiny compared to many here! I have 7, excluding books that have only a section on Indian dishes.

#84 Geetha

Geetha
  • participating member
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:03 PM

:hmmm: only one, though most useful one so far, for a startingcooking stuff on microwave cooking of indian dishes.. by Ms. Malliga Badrinath.
:biggrin: made only one dish :shock: mooru Kolumbu (buttermilk curry).

Geetha :raz:

#85 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:48 AM

937!

#86 ravum

ravum
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:19 AM

This was a good excuse to count the number of books I have...51 Indian and about 40 other cookbooks..
My Favorites are Samaithu Paar,Bangla Ranna (Minakshie Dasgupta) and 500 easy recipes(Narayani Nayak).The last one is an old Konkani cookbook.It is out of print and my entire copy is xeroxed.All three are books that are good to cook from.After reading the raves here,I plan to add Camellia Punjabis book to my shelves.

#87 shanta

shanta
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:30 PM

I have 47 Indian cookbooks , somehow I have two copies of a Gujarati cookbook = 48 total, if you count the duplicate :wink:

Rasachandrika and a couple of Jaya V. Shenoy's cookbooks have the most "Frequent Cooking Miles" in my collection.

My Favorites are Samaithu Paar,Bangla Ranna (Minakshie Dasgupta) and 500 easy recipes(Narayani Nayak).The last one is an old  Konkani cookbook.It is out of print and my entire copy is xeroxed.

View Post

ravum, how many pages are in Narayani Nayak's 500 easy recipes? Now you've made me a Curious George :blink: would love to have a copy.

Shanta

#88 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:36 AM

1035! Congratulations folks! We're now talking four-digit figures! I'm longing for the no-longer-in-print book too!In fact, I've yet to add Rasachandrika to my collection. I've never seen it in bookshops in India. Any ideas who sells it in Blore? BTW, do either of these books contain Konkani seafood dishes? Although I suspect I already know the answer.

Suman

Edited to add: Just found this cookbook with seafood recipes, but I'm not sure if they ship outside of the US.

http://culture.konka..._cooking_Ko.htm

Edited by rajsuman, 17 October 2004 - 01:43 AM.

#89 shanta

shanta
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:16 AM

1035! Congratulations folks! We're now talking four-digit figures!  I'm longing for the no-longer-in-print book too!In fact, I've yet to add Rasachandrika to my collection. I've never seen it in bookshops in India. Any ideas who sells it in Blore? BTW, do either of these books contain Konkani seafood dishes? Although I suspect I already know the answer.
Suman

Edited to add: Just found this cookbook with seafood recipes, but I'm not sure if they ship outside of the US.

http://culture.konka..._cooking_Ko.htm

View Post

Suman,

You can order/buy Rasachandrika from Popular Prakashan, they ship outside India: http://www.popularpr....asp?bookid=211
They have a branch in B'lore: http://www.popularpr...?ntype=branches - if they don't have a copy, try one of the Saraswat Associations in B'lore.

Rasachandrika has very few fish and egg recipes - it's mainly vegetarian with tons of recipes listed by vegetables.

Found another Konkani cookbook, looks like there are a lot of seafood recipes: http://www.popularpr...=add&bookid=210
- am ordering this NOW! :wub:

Shanta

Edited by shanta, 17 October 2004 - 08:27 AM.

#90 rajsuman

rajsuman
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Shanta! There's another book called 'Coastal Fiesta', a compilation of recipes from all the communities of South Kanara. The Konkani section contains only vegetarian cooking, but it does have some lovely Bunt non-veg recipes.

Suman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Indian