Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Liquor identification help: The topic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I've got a friend who is trying to figure out a) what this stuff is and b) whether it is available in the US. Any information you've got would be greatly appreciated:

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#2 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

It's Minsk Kristall from Belarus.

Looks like a liqueur that is part of their "Balsam" line.

ETA: This shop in CT carries their vodka, which would seem to indicate there's an importer out there somewhere.

Edited by KD1191, 25 January 2014 - 09:28 PM.

• Rafa likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#3 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

see here http://en.wikipedia....i/Balsam_(drink) and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riga_Black_Balsam

#4 DCHaller

DCHaller
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hi;

I'm new to the Culinary Society and its process so please bear with me.

I have a 4/5 quart sealed bottle of Bisquit VSOP Fine Champagne Napoleon Cognac and I am trying to find its age and value. 

The label on the front of the bottle reads Product of France 80 Proof. The rear label tells of the House of Bisquit.

There is a pink, numbered "US Internal Revenue Tax Paid" stamp sealing the bottle and an "Excise and Enforcement Tax Paid Spiritous Beverages" stamp from Indiana on the neck of the bottle. 

Any help would be appreciated and any questions will be answered.

Many thanks,

DCHaller

#5 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Welcome.

Old alcohol is very hard to value. For one, due to myriad and complex laws, it's very difficult to sell. For another, much of it is terrible. I'm on a number of mailing lists for professional resellers of antique bottles, and have found that with rare exceptions (mostly whisk(e)y-related, though much older cognacs also rate) the value is in the bottle more often than the contents.

I know very little about Bisquit, but based on this listing, I would suggest it's not worth troubling too much over. My recommendation would be to try it. And, if it's any good, drink it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#6 cdh

cdh
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

IF I could figure out how image uploading works around here nowadays, I'd show you a picture of my bottle of cooking brandy.  Bisquit VSOP.  OK by itself, but makes a very nice Newburg sauce.  This ain't a missing Rembrandt or a lost lottery ticket. 

ETA, I seem to have figured it out.  Can you see the attached pic?  Looks like yours?bisq.jpg

Edited by cdh, 13 July 2014 - 12:38 PM.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#7 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

It's worth whatever someone pays for it.
  • KD1191 likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#8 Nayan Gowda

Nayan Gowda
  • participating member
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Maybe try the "submit a bottle" function on this website http://blog.cognac-expert.com/contact/

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter