Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Plan: 2014 Chocolate & Confectionery Workshop Las Vegas

Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#31 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well Ruth I just decided to go for it.  I've been dabbling in strictly chocolate in the winter for the last 6 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing by now  :raz: .  

Just made my reservation for the workshop and the master class, so I guess I'm committed.  I will still be driving down, but might be limited on what I can bring as I will already be working in Wyoming by then, so have limited space in my car for everything I need to take with me for living in Jackson for the summer, but will see what how much left over space I have and fill it with chocolate equip.  

Will check on the hotel biz a little later, just wanted to definitely nail down my spot for the workshop and master class.  

Thanks again for organizing all this Ruth (and Rob!) this looks to be another fantastic event  :biggrin:

#32 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well Ruth I just decided to go for it.  I've been dabbling in strictly chocolate in the winter for the last 6 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing by now  :raz: .  

Just made my reservation for the workshop and the master class, so I guess I'm committed.  I will still be driving down, but might be limited on what I can bring as I will already be working in Wyoming by then, so have limited space in my car for everything I need to take with me for living in Jackson for the summer, but will see what how much left over space I have and fill it with chocolate equip.  

Will check on the hotel biz a little later, just wanted to definitely nail down my spot for the workshop and master class.  

Thanks again for organizing all this Ruth (and Rob!) this looks to be another fantastic event  :biggrin:

Great! We shouldn't need much of anything because JMA has lots. Appreciate your offer.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#33 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Master class is full-thanks everyone for your interest. Sign up for the workshop before that fills too.

Those registered for Master class:

Rob

Kerry

Bob

Dave H

David S

Ruth

Sarah

Erika

Donna

Willow

If you are interested in another Master class, PM me here and we will see if JMA is willing to teach Friday morning.

Edited by Chocolot, 04 September 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#34 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Here is the reservation link for group; CHOCOLATE WORKSHOP 13B7TU 

https://www2.tuscany...Box~&RGP=13b7tu

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#35 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Here is the reservation link for group; CHOCOLATE WORKSHOP 13B7TU 

https://www2.tuscany...Box~&RGP=13b7tu

Ruth,  which nights is the group rate available for? Does not look like it is available for Sunday 18 May 2014.

#36 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I just confirmed with the hotel. You should be able to get the group rate for rooms from May 14-20, 2013. Our block is guaranteed from May 16-19. Other dates are as available but you will get that rate. The group is under Chocolate Workshop or code 13B7TU. They seem a bit confused, but hopefully it will all work out. If any problems, PM me.

• curls likes this

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#37 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I'm committed too- just paid the deposit for the workshop. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!
  • Chocolot likes this

#38 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

I am heading to Vegas next week to check out the facilities. Do any of you have any specific questions or concerns that I can check out for you?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#39 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

I am heading to Vegas next week to check out the facilities. Do any of you have any specific questions or concerns that I can check out for you?

No specific questions but it would be nice to know what sort of equipment they will have for us to use (melters, temperers, guitars, enrobers, panners, scales, airbrushes, etc.). Have fun and take some pictures!

#40 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I was just wondering if this workshop is open to any eGforum member?  I would love to participate in this workshop

#41 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I was just wondering if this workshop is open to any eGforum member?  I would love to participate in this workshop

It is open to all EGullet members, see Ruth's posts on the previous page #20 & #25 for details.

#42 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

As Curls said, everyone welcome until we fill up. Hope you can make it.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#43 Jenjcook

Jenjcook
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Id love to do the masters class if you have enough for a second session.

#44 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Great. I'll make note of it and see if we get others. Remember you need to sign up for the workshop in order to attend the master class:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#45 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

This is just a teaser until I get time to make a big post. This is Jean Marie's kitchen that we will be using.

kitchen.jpg

Edited by heidih, 16 October 2013 - 01:22 PM.
Flipped image

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#46 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Here are a few photos to get you excited about our 2014 Chocolate Workshop in Las Vegas May 17-18.

If you haven't been to one of the workshops, you really should seriously think about it. Kerry started this a few years ago. It is a lot of fun with good people. We all can learn from each other and there is a lot of talent in the group. Rob is working on confection places to visit and places to eat. Our activities are fluid at this time, but we are planning on a full 2-3 days. If you want to come in early, there will be plenty to do.

I visited Tuesday to make sure the facility would work for us. All I can say is I want to be Jean Marie when I grow up. The facility is amazing! I can't think of anything they don't have. They even make their own praline and gianduja. The space is deceptive because there are several rooms besides the main kitchen. They have several Robot Coupes, Kitchen Aid mixers, and even a Thermomix. Enrober, 2 continuous temperers and two more melters. Spray booth, and cocoa butter warmers. The only problem is we won't want to leave once we have used their kitchen!

The kitchen is located just off Flamingo near Decatur. It only about 10 minutes from the hotel. 

They can only accommodate 25 people and we already have 16 signed up. If you are thinking about it, think fast:) We have removed the deposit feature we offered last month. Now, it is full pay only. Remember there is no refund, so make sure this is going to work for you. 

On Saturday morning, Jean Marie and/or Melissa (who just won Chocolatier of the Year) will teach a 3 hour class, then we will go to work and practice what they taught us, or anything else you want to try. The kitchen is open for us to experiment and learn from each other. On Sunday, we are working on a short demo and again working on your own with wonderful ingredients. We would like to hear what you would like them to cover in their class. Three hours isn't a lot of time, but they can do at least three different confections. How about gummies? They say they are quick and fun to do. 

I came home with some of their wonderful Nougatine and salt caramels. I highly recommend them both. 

We will also have recipes from the class.

To recap:

Only 9 spots left. No refund. Go to http://chocolot.com/products-page/ to register. Bottom of the products page. The only option is full-pay--$160.00. For those who have only paid the deposit, be sure to finish paying by the end of the year. 

I will post later about the hotel. I found it to be very clean, large rooms and a good location just off the strip on Flamingo. You are free to stay wherever you like, but the rates are very good at the Tuscany and no resort fee and free wifi in the rooms. We have a block of rooms, info at the bottom of this post.  

• curls likes this

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#47 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Gummies sound yummies.  Maybe we could do a little panning too - with some of their gianduja on some roasted nuts.

• YetiChocolates likes this

#48 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Thinking about joining y'all. Did you ever decide if there would be a second masterclass?

Kind regards,

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#49 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

Would love to have you. We will set up another class if we have enough interest. Right now, there are 2, but I know several of us would probably go for another class.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#50 LukyJess

LukyJess
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hi there!
We are interested in this workshop but we were wondering what will the agenda include?
Thank you so much  :smile:

#51 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

OK, my +1 and I are in, Vegas is certainly easy to get to and the timing is excellent. See you all there!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#52 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Looks like it will depend on airfare for us. They're pretty steep at the moment, but if they get reasonable before the session books up, we'll plan on joining.

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#53 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Chris. That leaves only 6 spots left.

LukyJess, We are still working on the agenda, but typically we have some touring activities on Friday such a visit to Chef Rubber, JinJu chocolates, Chefs Warehouse, etc. We haven't finalized it yet. Also on Friday, there will be at least one master class in the morning, and possibly another one in the afternoon. This is at an additional cost. So, to finish answering your question, if it is like in the past, Friday evening will be a Meet n Greet. If you want, you can bring something you have been working on to share with the group. Not necessary, as there is always way too much, but always happy to try out new things. 

Saturday morning we will meet at JMA and JMA and Melissa will teach us in a 3 hour class. We are still working on the topics covered, but will probably keep them pretty basic. We are working on lunch to get sponsors. It will be a simple lunch in the break room and you just go get something when you get a chance. The afternoon is open for you to play and explore any confections you would like. JMA has a completely equipped kitchen and all the ingredients will be provided. If you want to learn how to make something, say caramels, you just say so and someone will show you. We all teach each other. Want to make pate de fruit? there is always one of the group who knows how and will teach you and others. Even if you don't think you have enough knowledge to contribute, you do. Everyone does something a bit differently than someone else. We can all learn a new way of doing something. The whole idea is to learn and share that knowledge. The group is diverse. We have some who are in the business full-time, part-time, or just a hobby. We have physicians, firefighters, engineers, chefs, culinary students, secretaries, and others who all share a love for all things related to confections. It is a most friendly group. When I went to the first one, I didn't know anyone except on EG. We have now become close friends and stay in touch via emails and phone calls. I value my EG friends highly.

Back to agenda. Sunday will be the same, meet at JMA. we may have a short demo on a chosen topic, but there is no obligation to watch. If it is a topic that doesn't interest you, you just quietly go about making what you want. You may chose to make something that JMA taught you the day before. Again, lunch and more playing time in the kitchen. Depending on everyones schedule, some will start to leave in the afternoon to catch flights. Most will stay for the afternoon and finish up. We have the kitchen until 5. 

Because of space considerations, only those who have registered will be able to be in the kitchen. In the past we were at culinary schools that had lots of space and spouse wandered in and out. That won't be possible here.

Another real benefit of the workshop is to see what Kerry and others have figured out to do with normal objects and relate them to confectionery. Who knew that a tiny brush used to floss between your teeth makes a great air brush cleaning tool? Kerry did:) Who knew that a $4 heating tray from Goodwill, makes a great cocoa butter melting tray, or an electric cooking pot used for deep frying makes a great caramel cooker?These are just a few of the things I have learned from going. We would love to have you join us.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#54 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm so jealous!  It looks like you've done a fabulous job of organizing Ruth.  Wish I could join you all but the timing just doesn't work.   

Can't wait for your post about JMA's secret to making showroom finished chocolates EVERY TIME!  And a simple secret to boot...  wow...

#55 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

I will be posting new information tomorrow on the workshop. 

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#56 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Since I'm coming on Tuesday so that I can do anything possible to help with this - I've been perusing the Dining in Las Vegas thread to help me with my planning!  

#57 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Don't forget all the night life in Vegas. There are always a lot of interesting shows.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

#58 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Don't forget all the night life in Vegas. There are always a lot of interesting shows.

Ya think?  I don't know that I'm really in to that - though I suppose I could change.

• judiu likes this

#59 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

One other thought - as part of my running around before the event - I could come up with stuff for lunches for the 3 days.  Our options could be a simples as grabbing Subway - or we could put together breads and cold cuts and salads like we have done for our Niagara workshops.  Of course we probably won't have anyone baking us the fabulous breads that our Niagara college instructors did.

Any thoughts on preferences?

#60 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Those were great breads we had!! I think we are open to any and all suggestions. The lunches are not included, so we are going for an economical solution. We are trying for some sponsorships so that no one has to put out any more than necessary. Personally, I would rather do something quick and simple and save my $$ and calories for the evening. Any other suggestions?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plan