Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Toaster Ovens

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

Ive lined the pan that comes with the TO with parchment paper for an easier clean up and that seems to work fine.

#62 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Ive lined the pan that comes with the TO with parchment paper for an easier clean up and that seems to work fine.

It's good to have stainless steel interior. You can use "Easy Off" to dissolve toughest burnt on built-ups.

You cannot do that with aluminum interior.

dcarch

#63 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

my new BV BigBoy says this in the manual:

"""""  

NOTE:  

Do not use abrasive cleansers, 

metal scouring pads or metal  

utensils on any of the interior or  

exterior surfaces of the oven,  

including the crumb tray. 

utensils to clean any of the  

1. The walls on the inside of the oven 

feature a non-stick coating for easy 

cleaning. To clean any spattering that 

may occur while cooking, wipe the  

walls with a soft, damp sponge.  

A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild 

spray solution may be used to avoid 

build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to 

the sponge, not the oven surface, before 

cleaning. Avoid touching the quartz 

heating elements. 

""""

if you use your TO for baking/roasting/broiling   what has your experience been with clean up?

thanks

Edited by rotuts, 22 October 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#64 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Totally possible. Since you usually cook for one or two, a lowish saucepan (with a lid) would be most versatile, but even a foil pouch on a cookie sheet will work.

Pouch + cookie sheet = Great Idea.  Thanks!

• judiu likes this

.... Shel

#65 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

"----The walls on the inside of the oven feature a non-stick coating for easy cleaning.----"

I am a little superstitious.

A lot of the cooking in an electric oven is done by infrared radiation, therefore I like very shiny reflective surfaces. I think it gives better and more even cooking.

On a different note:

Some toaster ovens can get very hot on the top. Make sure your cabinet above is not too close.

dcarch

#66 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

interesting point

the sides of the BV XL are black, but the top/bottom are shiny

#67 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have several Breville appliances and get periodic emails one arrived today so I went to the website as my juicer needs a new jug (I managed to break it - my own fault).

And then I went meandering through some other pages.

Check this page  for "accessories"  for the large oven -  there is a wire rack for $12.99. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#68 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

andiesenji

thanks   i found this also and have ordered one.  BV is the cheapest parts site ive found

#69 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

my new BV BigBoy says this in the manual:

"""""  

NOTE:  
utensils on any of the interior or  
exterior surfaces of the oven,  
including the crumb tray. 
utensils to clean any of the  
1. The walls on the inside of the oven 
feature a non-stick coating for easy 
cleaning. To clean any spattering that 
may occur while cooking, wipe the  
walls with a soft, damp sponge.  
A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild 
spray solution may be used to avoid 
build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to 
the sponge, not the oven surface, before 
cleaning. Avoid touching the quartz 
heating elements. 
""""

if you use your TO for baking/roasting/broiling   what has your experience been with clean up?

thanks

I have never done more than clean the crumb tray, the door window and wipe down the outside. Anything more is overkill IMHO. YMMV.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#70 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Problems with the Breville Ovens:  I went down to the local BB&B and had a good look at the Breville ovens, then I went home and examined my counter space.  It looks like I can handle even the biggest oven, and that's good news.

However, I've been reading lots of reviews about these ovens, and there seems to be a large number of people complaining about a short life span, with numerous people complaining that the ovens lasted less than two years. It seems the mid-size oven has had the most complaints, although I didn't count 'em.

In addition, there have been a number of reviewers complaining that the oven temps are way off - sometimes by as much as 100-degrees.  Plus, many people have complained about poor customer service from Breville.

To an extent, these things don't bother me very much because, if I do have a problem with the oven I purchase, BB&B will stand by it.  But what if Breville changes their models, or discontinues the model I've purchased?  However, the idea that I'd be paying a premium price and still having to deal with a mediocre product annoys the hell out of me. It's a PITA to pack one of these puppies and drag it back to BB&B.  I want to be happy with my oven ... I like good quality and things that work as they are supposed to.

So, who has had problems with their Breville ovens, and what problems did you have?  Has anyone owned one of these things for a few years and not had any problems?

Edited by Shel_B, 24 October 2013 - 10:59 PM.

• judiu likes this

.... Shel

#71 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

I am coming up to the 2-year mark with mine and have not experienced a single problem. I use it almost daily.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#72 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:51 AM

I am coming up to the 2-year mark with mine and have not experienced a single problem. I use it almost daily.

Which model do you have?  What do you use the oven for?  Thanks!

.... Shel

#73 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

I have the BOV800XL. I toast, roast vegetables, re-heat pizza, egg rolls, etc., broil, bake. I don't braise in it because it has a safety feature that shuts it off after 2 hours. I have baked bread both free-form and in loaf pans. Aside from braisind, the only other thing it won't do, because of its small size, is a high-heat/no heat beef roast.

My 2004 eG Blog

#74 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

That's what I call tempting fate.

• judiu and gfweb like this

#75 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

after i udgreaded to the BV-XL  ive taken a few trips to BB&B to eye-ball various (smaller) pans and racks that would fit into the XL

I just use the BB's pans and take them one isle over into the XL.

Ive looked over the two smaller BV's and i think with those you are indeed paying a substantial premium for them compared to others sold at BB&B

I cant address the expected life-span of the XL, but Im enjoying mine quite a bit., unexpectedly so.  it just fits a lot more pans and does a lot more than smaller TO's

it even fits where I thought it would not.

#76 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

I may have to try one of these.  My 16-year-old 1/2 size Cadco oven has stopped working.  I phoned and got immediate connection to a live person.

I can take it to the authorized service place in Santa Monica - a long drive for me.  Or I can see if a local place that works on convection ovens can fix it.

Or I can buy a new one but since I have the Sharp combination convection/microwave, which works just fine but limits the size of things I can cook in it. 

I have a few smaller baking pans but the ones I use the most (up to now) are the half-size sheet pans.

Must think about this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#77 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

If there is a BB&B near you, you might peak at the BV-XL

fits 1/4 sheet pan.  with coupon $ 199,

it seems you are way past this stuff, with more interesting items.

but if at BB&B  take a peek.

PS  BB&B has Chicago Metallic sheet pans sets:  1/4, 1/3 1/2  ( perhaps ) sheet pans sets  for 19.99  or with the 5 $ coupon:

$ 15.  I love these pans and have 2 working sets and 2 on reserve just in case.

Edited by rotuts, 25 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• judiu likes this

#78 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

I have two of the Breville XL ovens.  One at home and one at the cottage.  The one at the cottage is going on 4 years, no problems.  The one at the house is coming up two years and I use it quite a bit since I have only one oven here.  No problems. 

• judiu likes this
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#79 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

We have the big one. We use it for toast; bagels, both fresh and frozen; Pop-Tarts (Ms. Alex); frozen pizzas (Amy's); baking (brownies, cobblers, cornbread, etc.); reheating frozen rolls; roasting vegetables; top-browning or quick cheese-melting; plate- and bowl-warming and occasionally broiling a flank steak. The temperature is pretty much accurate, although the baking time tends to be shorter than in our regular gas oven. It's 3-4 years old, used 5-7x a week, with nary a problem. $199 at BB&B is a good price. Pay with an AmEx card and you double the manufacturer's warranty. Just buy it already! :raz:

Edited by Alex, 26 October 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#80 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have the bigger Breville oven. After about a year, the fan started to rattle. One call to customer service took care of the problem: they shipped me a new one at no cost; I sent the old one back, and it's been working beautifully ever since then. No complaints from me about temperature control, the way it toasts or bakes, or anything else. I'd have no hesitation to replace it with another one.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#81 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Breville XL ovens are aptly named:  XL does not mean the oven is XL, it indicates how much weight you will gain with these, they are

so easy to bake with you will be shopping in the XL area from now on.

• judiu and Smithy like this

#82 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Rotus, it ain't the baking, it's the eatin'!
  • Smithy likes this
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#83 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

In the FWIW department, I took home the small Breville today and set it up a few hours ago.  I am very pleased with the size, and am looking forward to trying it out.  Unfortunately, it'll be a few days, maybe a week, before I'll have a chance to fire it up.  Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

.... Shel

#84 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Make some toast at least.

#85 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

this one: ?

http://www.bedbathan...le toaster oven

#86 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Yes, that one ...

.... Shel

#87 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've considered buying one of the Breville Smart Ovens, and 20% off makes the purchase much more appealing, but all of the Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons that I have seen recently have specifically excluded Breville products from their 20% discount. Am I missing something? 

#88 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

just take the item to the counter and they will take the % off.

they have always done that for me

• judiu likes this

#89 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

I tried it online today, and it definitely doesn't work (the 20% off).  

When you bought the toaster oven in person, rotuts, I don't think Breville was yet being excluded from the offer.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#90 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

Ive gotten, in the past, 20 % off items that were excluded ' on paper ' just by taking them to the register.

Ive assumed  rightly or wrongly that the wording on paper was to placate the 'price control' gods that demand you not discount their products.

then they did.   

but correct it might be that times change or some stores are run differently than others.

• judiu likes this