Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

I hate jobs like this

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I've been asked, once again, to create a drink for my daughter's school fundraiser. This year it turns out that a parent works for Remy Martin, and can probably get the liquor donated. I was forwarded the following list of brands I can probably use:

Cointreau
Highland Park
The Macallan
Remy Martin Cognac
Mount Gay Rum
Passoa (passion fruit liqueur)

Rough, huh?

With this level of quality, I could serve almost all of this stuff straight up and be very happy. Water pitcher and ice on the side, 'nuff said. But in the interest of philanthropy and experimental philosophy I thought I'd throw the list out, Apollo 13 style, and ask, what would you make with these ingredients plus mixers for a diverse group of NYC public school parents on a rare night out?
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#2 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I love these kind of challenges where you have to work with a limited number of ingredients. I think they are fun!

I would make a Sidecar or a Brandy Daisy with the Remy Martin cognac and the Cointreau. These are very approachable drinks.

A rum version of the Sidecar could also work with the Mount Gay rum (the XYZ cocktail or a Santa Cruz Daisy).

You might be able to pull off a Scorpion as well with the cognac + rum + passion fruit, asssuming you already have some orgeat.

#3 CharlieHorse

CharlieHorse
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I don't see anything on that list that I would consider adding anything other than ice to (other than the Remy, it should be enjoyed straight up). I might consider a rum variation of the Brazilian Caiprinha with the Mt. Gay Rum, though.

#4 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Sour flights.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#5 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

With some citrus and a couple syrups (falernum, orgeat), you could do a pretty large number of drinks from tiki-land with that booze list. Especially if you'll have both light and dark from the Mt. Gay line. One or two of those on the menu with whatever else you decide to do may be an easier sell to a general audience.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#6 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

A duo of Rob Roys, made with Punt e Mes. Won't be many takers, though.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#7 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Looks like we can get only the ingredients for one drink recipe donated, so I plan to ask for cognac, rum and cointreau, so I can build Sidecars, rum sours, and tiki-esque drinks from the list. Giving up the scotch is really hard, but another parent pointed out that serving neat single malt might result in a rather different evening from what's planned.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; as it happens, I have a full bottle of orgeat I plan on getting rid of so I can try homemade, and plenty of Falernum on hand!
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban