Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner when life is too stressful

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

But IME the heat often fades significantly after an overnight in the fridge!

It would have taken a lot more than a night in the fridge to bring this back to edible heat. But it wasn't just the heat. I can do chilli heat. It was just a total mess on every level. And is now giving the local pigs an experience they didn't expect.

The rice I had prepared was refrigerated and used tonight.

#32 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

LOL! I wonder if our porky friends will complain about the after affects?

#33 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Pre-spiced pork!?

An old reliable quickie is linguine with white clam sauce -- lots of olive oil, canned clams with juice, white wine, garlic, handful of parsley. Sauce is ready by the time the pasta is boiled and drained.

But if I'm really feeling drained and low, grilled cheese sammiches (with processed cheese!) are the bomb. Might have a salad, or a bowl of tomato soup, or a side of pickles and chips, but those aren't necessary, just nice. There's something about the crispy buttery toasted bread filled with melty warm cheese that is the ultimate soul soother.

#34 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Just though of something: Quesadillas ... what could be simpler? Add a quick salad if so inclined, pop a Negra Modelo ... bada bing!

.... Shel

#35 pacman1978

pacman1978
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Steak(onglet or rib eye), mccain oven french fries and some leaves washed down with dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard and a nice full bodied red. Bliss in 20 mins, I probably have it once a week!

#36 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

A panini press is a godsend for this kind of scenario. In the five or ten minutes it takes to preheat, you can prep your sandwiches, from the simplest possible grilled cheese to as fancy as you want, limited only by the bread you have on hand and whatever you have in the fridge.

#37 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Steak(onglet or rib eye), mccain oven french fries and some leaves washed down with dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard and a nice full bodied red. Bliss in 20 mins, I probably have it once a week!

This is good for instant calming down from stress :)

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway