Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Austin Late Night Food Stands/Trucks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'll be in Austin for a couple days coming up here, and from what I've read elsewhere it sounds like there are a lot of excellent food stand/truck options. In particular I'm looking for places to eat when the BBQ has run out, late night places, bonus points for being centrally located and/or selling beer. Thoughts on Taco More, G'Raj Mahal, and El Naranjo? What else should I look at?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#2 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

G'Raj Mahal has been universally acclaimed by people in the biz there I trust implicitly. Also check into East Side Kings, a series of food trucks by the same people behind Uchi & Uchiko. Three places, each doing a menu that uses only one heat source each (I think they are fryer, flattop, and grill).

Can't offer any intel on the other places, sorry.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#3 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

If possible, id love to see pics of the trucks and the food you get, if allowed.

#4 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

We ate at Taco More for lunch and G'raj Mahal for dinner yesterday---both were fantastic. Sorry, no pics yet, I'm posting this from the (very long) line at Franklin BBQ.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#5 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hit two East Side King places tonight: the one outside The Greckle, where the ramen was very good, and I'm writing this from the one at Liberty, where the deep fried Brussels sprouts and curry buns were awesome. Pics of the places to come when I get home.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#6 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Taco More— we had been warned that they didn't speak much English here, but it wasn't a problem for our server, who seemed reasonably fluent. At least, our order was more or less correct. And man, it was delicious.

Taco More.jpg

G'Raj Mahal was also excellent, far better than the other Indian place we tried (Teji's Foods):

Graj Mahal 1.jpg

Graj Mahal 2.jpg

We ate at two of the three East Side King locations, all very near each other. The first was the location outside The Grackle, in the parking lot:

East Side King 1.jpg

The second was located behind the very divey-looking (but actually very hipster) Liberty:

Liberty.jpg

East Side King 2.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#7 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

The second was located behind the very divey-looking (but actually very hipster) Liberty:

Only kind of dive you'll find in Austin, for better or worse.

Well, Donn's Depot may or may not count.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#8 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Next time you need to seek out the Chi-lango food truck. The kimchi fries are incredible as are the bulgogi tacos.
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.