Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse: 2012–

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

It's getting harder and harder to find chinotto soda... in Italy, dammit.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#32 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

It's getting harder and harder to find chinotto soda... in Italy, dammit.

That's depressing.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#33 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Mashed potato dispensers: For when instant mashed potatoes aren't instant enough. http://news.yahoo.co...-171738860.html
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#34 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

This:

http://www.bigtopcupcake.com/

#35 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

This:

http://www.bigtopcupcake.com/

I'm speechless. And double the offer if I order right now!
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#36 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

In my local Pavilions market, which is the upscale branch of the Safeway chain in SoCal.....

Guy Fieri sausages and frozen pizzas. With Guy's face plastered all over the packaging, which would certainly kill any appetite I had to start with.

One of which (the pizzas) was a dessert pizza touted as a "S'mores Pizza" with a graham cracker crust, chocolate sauce and marshmallow topping. I can only shudder to think how the marshmallow (which are pretty gross to begin with IMHO) stands up to freezing.

The sausages all had some inane name like "Howdy Doody Andouille" and "Slamma Jamma Chili Bamma" or some such thing. I exaggerate on these, but only by a little.

Edit---that pesky spellling thing.

Edited by Pierogi, 23 August 2012 - 11:13 PM.

--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#37 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Marabou chocolate flavoured Philadelphia cream cheese: http://www.philadelp...a1&PagecRef=798.

The caption says, 'Let yourself be surprised'.

Saw a billboard for this last night, coming home from a dinner party; I didn't feel surprised, I felt 'Holy-hell-I'm-much-drunker-than-I-thought', so I had to look it up today, to see whether it actually existed outside my red-wine-inflamed mind.

It does.

Is this a thing anywhere else, or are the Philadelphia people just pranking Denmark?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#38 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

nope, unfortunately they are marketing chocolate-flavored cream cheese here in the States, too. I can't wrap my head around it.
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#39 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Cadbury non-melting chocolate:

http://www.latimes.c...oney & Company)

#40 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

This is beyond bad.

It is a Chinese brand of those little triangles of spreadable gunk which are labelled as 'cheese' but which bear no resemblance to anything remotely close to anything I consider to be cheese.

For some reason, no doubt while rabidly drunk, the manufacturers of this atrocity have decided to up the stakes and now seem to think that what we really need is processed gunk with blueberries!

Posted Image

I tried it out of a sense of duty. I've eaten all sorts. Give me the inner organs of fowls and beasts, give me barbecued cockroaches, give me camels' eyeballs. But get this muck out of my sight! I'd rather have botulism salad!

#41 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I can't by a Twinkie.

It's looking like the Mayans might be right about 2012

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#42 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Cadbury non-melting chocolate:

http://www.latimes.c...oney & Company)

I know! What is the POINT of non-melting chocolate? I already hate most of the expensive 90% chocolate bars that are around because they are crisp and brittle and don't melt at body temperature, and they crunch when you bite them. Chocolate should not crunch, it should melt in a lovely bittersweet puddle of deliciousness. What is the world coming to?

#43 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Have Cadbury started making chocolate? There may yet be hope. They have made a lot of stuff for years. Nothing I would have called chocolate.

#44 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

How about the growing ... acceptance of products that are pitched as organic but are actually really disgusting? I mean, it might be organic and have magic woo power ... but if it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as the evil version I'm not going to buy it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#45 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

How about the growing ... acceptance of products that are pitched as organic but are actually really disgusting? I mean, it might be organic and have magic woo power ... but if it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as the evil version I'm not going to buy it.

Example? I can't think what you're describing.

#46 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Spotted at a trade show, frozen food section...Just in time for the holidays.

IMG_0150.JPG

#47 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I saw those at my local Acme for $55. I thought about it, not gonna lie, but ultimately I didn't trust that it would be any good. I see reviews are generally favorable, however.

#48 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

These have been available in Louisiana for some time . The meat departments of stores put them out fresh or frozen as do butcher shops.Different types of stuffings are available.

#49 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

If you find this depressing, Cupcake vodka (mentioned in this same article), is there to help you kill enough brain cells to enable you to forget that people have evidently lost track of the fact that booze is for grownups.

Actual interaction between two friends:

"Dan, is that cupcake flavored vodka?"
"Yes."
"Do you know what goes well with cupcake-flavored vodka?"
"No?"
"Underage girls with daddy issues."
"Hmm."
(pause)
"I suppose it does."

Spotted at a trade show, frozen food section...Just in time for the holidays.

IMG_0150.JPG

I jumped the shark on posting without reading the whole thread.

Dan bought one of these for thanksgiving, and roasted it straight frozen.

I didn't try any. Years of working at Papa John's has apparently made him immune to food poisoning.

I wonder how many more references to the man will result of this thread?

Edited by jrshaul, 04 December 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#50 xxchef

xxchef
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Will your next burger be ground-up mealworms?
The wriggly beetle larvae known as mealworms could one day dominate supermarket shelves as a more sustainable alternative to chicken, beef, pork and milk, researchers in the Netherlands say. Full srticle here... http://www.foxnews.c...d-up-mealworms/
The Big Cheese
BlackMesaRanch.com
My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"
BMR on FaceBook
"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

#51 Badiane

Badiane
  • participating member
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Marabou chocolate flavoured Philadelphia cream cheese: http://www.philadelp...a1&PagecRef=798.

The caption says, 'Let yourself be surprised'.

Saw a billboard for this last night, coming home from a dinner party; I didn't feel surprised, I felt 'Holy-hell-I'm-much-drunker-than-I-thought', so I had to look it up today, to see whether it actually existed outside my red-wine-inflamed mind.

It does.

Is this a thing anywhere else, or are the Philadelphia people just pranking Denmark?

Chocolate cream cheese is tasty stuff...haven't you ever had chocolate cheesecake?  Sub a slice of toast for the crust, smear it with chocolate Philly and you have yourself a cheesecake breakfast!  Probably healthier than Nutella. :smile:

I happen to know that the good people of Denmark are able to purchase individually wrapped chocolate slices (like a cheese slice) to place on their bread...and I am eternally envious.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

#52 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Chocolate cream cheese is tasty stuff...haven't you ever had chocolate cheesecake?  Sub a slice of toast for the crust, smear it with chocolate Philly and you have yourself a cheesecake breakfast!  Probably healthier than Nutella. :smile:

I did once find myself in a situation where courtesy demanded that I eat chocolate cheesecake. It was a horrific and nauseating experience (because I don't care for cheese, and admittedly find the entire concept of cheese in sweets appalling). I'm clearly the wrong person to ask about this.

I happen to know that the good people of Denmark are able to purchase individually wrapped chocolate slices (like a cheese slice) to place on their bread...and I am eternally envious.

Yep, that's brilliant stuff (it's not individually wrapped, by the way, but in packets). I once tried some with licorice in it, at Keflavik airport, I believe, and that wasn't so great, although the fact that I like both licorice and chocolate kept it from being a true End Times experience for me.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#53 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#54 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Scooping ketchup.

For when salsa just isn't sweet enough? Why would you need to scoop your ketchup? Are they intending it as a dip, or for easier measuring? Scooping mayonnaise also available.

http://sirkensington...heproducts.html

#55 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

Scooping ketchup.

For when salsa just isn't sweet enough? Why would you need to scoop your ketchup? Are they intending it as a dip, or for easier measuring? Scooping mayonnaise also available.

http://sirkensington...heproducts.html

I think -- not sure, mind you, but think -- it's "scooping" because they're too old-fashioned and veddy veddy British, don't you know, to have anything as vulgar as a squeeze bottle. So you "scoop" the hand-made real recipe old-fashioned ketchup with a knife or spoon from an old-fashioned wide-mouthed bottle. The ketchup actually sounds interesting to try but the website is so annoying (you have to click way too many times to get information and the clickable headers are vague) that I kind of gave up.

#56 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

This was being sampled at my local grocery store recently: http://www.dcicheese...go-fire-cheddar

So very wrong. I scoured the store for a sample of something else to get the taste out of my mouth. <shudder>

I'd say that when the two awards a cheese has received are for... package design, it's a distinct red flag (yeah, I know, old post, but I clicked on the link in it for the first time and, well, let's just say this is even better than I'd hoped for :wink: ).

• pastrygirl likes this

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#57 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Donuts as sandwich bread.  Witness:

Dunkin' Donuts Glazed Donut breakfast sandwich: fried egg and bacon between a sliced glazed donut

the Bronut: a burger patty and fried egg between a maple bacon glazed doughnut

Currently it seems like a local problem. Here's hoping that it isn't contagious.

#58 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Sounds like fantastic hangover food.  Other than that, no thank you.

#59 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

The scooping ketchup tastes and smells identical to the squeeze, but its thicker like tomato paste.

They now have scooping mayo. Isnt all mayo scooping mayo? Aside from Kewpie
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#60 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Donuts as sandwich bread.  Witness:

Dunkin' Donuts Glazed Donut breakfast sandwich: fried egg and bacon between a sliced glazed donut

the Bronut: a burger patty and fried egg between a maple bacon glazed doughnut

Currently it seems like a local problem. Here's hoping that it isn't contagious.

It's definitely made it to Austin

From a local Burger place menu

That's a 1/2 lb of beef, fried egg, jalapeno jack cheese, bacon and fried egg between two halves of a Krispy Kreme