Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pot Brownies and Baked Goods

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

I am a medical marijuana user, and I don't really care for smoking pot. However, it's sometimes the only relief I can get from my back pain.

Maybe pot brownies will help. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to incorporate marijuana into brownies or other baked goods?

.... Shel

#2 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

I have a friend with prostate cancer whose wife makes him brownies. She sautees the finely ground pot in the butter from the recipe before incorporating it into the batter--she was told that the oil releases the THC. I don't know how much she uses, but I am sure you can google that.
sparrowgrass

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Thanks!

.... Shel

#4 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

I'm wondering, from the herbal nature of the beast, whether it wouldnt be more palatable in spaghetti sauce.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#5 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

You are in for a treat. The secret, mined from the deep lore and wisdom of the Lebowski generation, is called cannabutter. A google search will no doubt produce other descriptions and instructions.

In short, you want to boil water and butter together with the weed. The idea is that the THC and other significant compounds are fat-soluble; all the nasty tasting stuff is water-soluble (think bong water). The presence of water also keeps the temperature in the pan well below THC's boiling point of 390F. Simmer for 20 or 30 minutes, then strain out the plant material. Let the butter/water mixture cool in the fridge; the fat will rise to the top and solidify. That is your magic butter. Discard the water.

This butter can be used in any recipe. Be warned that a little goes a long way, and that it's imperative to have non-magic treats around, so you'll avoid the tempting downward spiral of curing your munchies by eating more of what gave them to you.

#6 Nasi_Campur

Nasi_Campur
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

The great thing about making butter is you can use low qual (i.e. inexpensive bud) and get a much more useable product out of it.

Have fun... :blink:

#7 Lilija

Lilija
  • participating member
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Cannabutter in chocolate chip cookies...

Sounds weird, tastes good. Eat one, lock the rest away, though.

#8 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:03 PM

You are in for a treat. The secret, mined from the deep lore and wisdom of the Lebowski generation, is called cannabutter. A google search will no doubt produce other descriptions and instructions.

Does the percentage of butter to water matter much, if ast all? In any case, about how much butter would be needed for how many grams of pot? Any rough ideas based on experience or from articles?

Thanks!

.... Shel

#9 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Does the percentage of butter to water matter much, if ast all? In any case, about how much butter would be needed for how many grams of pot? Any rough ideas based on experience or from articles?

I think the percentage of weed to butter is all that really matters. Maybe do a google search and see what different people recommend ... it's just a question of how concentrated you want it to be. It's possible for it to be REALLY concentrated ... someone I met says he makes brownies that are so strong he only eats half a brownie or less. It might take some trial and error to figure out your preference.

#10 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

In short, you want to boil water and butter together with the weed. The idea is that the THC and other significant compounds are fat-soluble; all the nasty tasting stuff is water-soluble (think bong water). The presence of water also keeps the temperature in the pan well below THC's boiling point of 390F. Simmer for 20 or 30 minutes, then strain out the plant material. Let the butter/water mixture cool in the fridge; the fat will rise to the top and solidify. That is your magic butter. Discard the water.

This butter can be used in any recipe. Be warned that a little goes a long way, and that it's imperative to have non-magic treats around, so you'll avoid the tempting downward spiral of curing your munchies by eating more of what gave them to you.

Thats a neat trick indeed, and one that I've never heard of. I think cooking the nug into a compound butter is a reliable way to go, if you don't want to taste it in the product.
If, however, you are using some quality nug and do want to taste it, I would avoid cooking it, like any other herb. Melt your butter, cool it until its just still liquid, and then puree with the nug in a blender, until smooth. Pass through a chinoise and proceed as normal.

#11 pax

pax
  • participating member
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

I also am a medical mj patient. I'm in NY, I get it in a liquid gel pill form. I *wish* I could smoke, because smoking effects me immediately and I would only have to use it on an as needed basis instead of using it as prophylactic constant. Some days are better than others but it's not always easy to predict.

A friend sent this to me...the premise is amusing, a new age stoner Betty Crocker. Not fantastically funny, but amusing and some fun facts about THC conversion.

Baking A Fool of Myself

Edited by pax, 29 March 2010 - 10:10 PM.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

#12 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

My Dad found the Compassion Club very helpful although he decided against using it at the time because our laws here were still a little iffy. You may find some ideas.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#13 Spring

Spring
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

A friend of mine makes hash truffles (Huffles? lol) I can ask him for the recipe but you could use the butter to make butter ganache

#14 therippa

therippa
  • participating member
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thats a neat trick indeed, and one that I've never heard of. I think cooking the nug into a compound butter is a reliable way to go, if you don't want to taste it in the product.
If, however, you are using some quality nug and do want to taste it, I would avoid cooking it, like any other herb. Melt your butter, cool it until its just still liquid, and then puree with the nug in a blender, until smooth. Pass through a chinoise and proceed as normal.

You have to heat the thc for your body to be able to absorb it and have the desired effect

#15 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

A friend of mine makes hash truffles (Huffles? lol) I can ask him for the recipe but you could use the butter to make butter ganache

I'm wondering if you could use cocoa butter instead of dairy butter and temper it into chocolate bars by mixing the green cocoa butter in with dark chocolate. Would prolonged heat ruin the cocoa butter, or could you do it at a low enough temperature to not burn it?

#16 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

You have to heat the thc for your body to be able to absorb it and have the desired effect

That's not correct. Shearing it into butter works just fine.

#17 therippa

therippa
  • participating member
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

You need to decarboxylate the THC acids, otherwise it's not nearly as potent and you're wasting quite a bit.

http://www.cannabisc...icles/2794.html

(this thread makes me feel like a stoner)

#18 zoe b

zoe b
  • participating member
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

fascinating! I did not know about cannabutter--what a great idea!

Have you thought about using a vaporizer? This is something that a lot of people are using...

#19 Mallet

Mallet
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

If you have a FoodSaver (or other vacuum sealer), the butter (budder) can also be made by sealing the pot and butter together and poaching it in simmering water for as long as you'd like (no waste, no cleanup).
Martin Mallet
<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

#20 Spring

Spring
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm wondering if you could use cocoa butter instead of dairy butter and temper it into chocolate bars by mixing the green cocoa butter in with dark chocolate. Would prolonged heat ruin the cocoa butter, or could you do it at a low enough temperature to not burn it?

My friend melts/dissolves the resin completely into the cream, i would think it could be melted into/with the cocoa butter and then mixed with cocoa liquor or couveture/chocolate. He doesnt steep 'grass' in cream as he says it would be bitter but if that 'has' to be done, perhaps a milk chocolate would soften the taste. Id love to experiment but.......lol

Edited by heidih, 31 March 2010 - 02:49 PM.
fix quote tags

#21 Kayakado

Kayakado
  • participating member
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

As a cild of the 60s we just dumped it in the batter, 1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on the potency.

We took out the stems and big pieces. I don't know what the quality is like that you get, but I am sure the textural cut would be perfect for brownies with no alterations. We also used it for oatmeal cookies.

We used it in any recipe that called for parsley or greens. I seem to remember using it in lasagne and crab cakes.

Edited by Kayakado, 31 March 2010 - 12:12 PM.

#22 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

You need to decarboxylate the THC acids, otherwise it's not nearly as potent and you're wasting quite a bit.

http://www.cannabisc...icles/2794.html

(this thread makes me feel like a stoner)

Sheared into cold ice cream base, it works. Very well. I can't repute your science, except to say that feeling is believing.

But for any baked good, would the 300+ degree oven not accomplish the decarboxylation regardless? The internal temp of a finished brownie has to be at least 250 degrees, I'd imagine.

#23 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

No idea about THC dacarboxylation, but I'd estimate the cooked temp of a brownie is in the 200°F range.