Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Strawberry cake recipe?

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 digigirl

digigirl
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

Oh - one more question:

I will be making this cake the day before his birthday. Is this type of cake something that should be refrigerated overnight, or would it be better to just frost it and leave it out?

I know some cakes are better after refrigeration, but I haven't done a lot of cakes, mostly cookies and muffins and such.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

#32 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

You won't need to refrigerate the cake if you're making it one day ahead. I think a lot of cakes taste better the next day, especially chocolate cakes, but I don't refrigeration will necessarily improve things.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#33 Dailey

Dailey
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

i'm thinking about trying patricks cake recipe (the third one) for a cake i'm doing at the end of the month. i really was looking for a recipe that didn't call for jello but that is a very rare thing! about a year ago, i tried about 6 different strawberry cake recipes and none of them were what i would call "great", hmmm, i wonder why its so hard to find a good recipe? :hmmm:

#34 chefette

chefette
  • participating member
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

It might be intresting to get those "Just Strawberries" flash dried and chop them or grind them into a powder to add to your batter for some extra strawberry power without getting the faky jello taste.

I have several varieties of fruit powders that work great and have made up a few of my own using the "just..." dried berries.

#35 Kris

Kris
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

Just the thread I've been looking for! I've been scouring the internet for a scratch strawberry cake. I came across the first recipe but that was about it. I was hesitant to try it because it seems overly sweet with the Jello and 2 cups of sugar.

Thanks for your posts Patrick.

#36 digigirl

digigirl
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

Just the thread I've been looking for!  I've been scouring the internet for a scratch strawberry cake.  I came across the first recipe but that was about it.  I was hesitant to try it because it seems overly sweet with the Jello and 2 cups of sugar. 

Thanks for your posts Patrick.

View Post

Kris, I made the cake yesterday but we haven't eaten it yet so I can't yet tell you how it came out.

I was unable to find the strawberry extract - the only thing available in the local markets was Imitation, so I just went with really reduced strawberry puree. We'll see how it goes.

But, it went together nicely and I'll have pictures tomorrow as well as a review!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

#37 digigirl

digigirl
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

Well, here is the cake. It came out okay, but not as outstanding as I had hoped. I'm sure that has everything to do with my inexperience and nothing to do with Patrick's recipe! The flavor was pretty good, although not as strawberry-y as it could have been with the extract / compound I didn't have. But it was much denser and didn't come out as light as Patrick's picture looked.

I ended up having to put the batter in the fridge yesterday for a while before baking, so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. Anybody else have any suggestions as to why it might have come out so heavy?

I'm trying to post pictures, but for some reason they are not appearing. Hopefully they will show up in the next post.

#38 digigirl

digigirl
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

Ah, here we go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:38 AM

Well, here is the cake.  It came out okay, but not as outstanding as I had hoped.  I'm sure that has everything to do with my inexperience and nothing to do with Patrick's recipe!  The flavor was pretty good, although not as strawberry-y as it could have been with the extract / compound I didn't have.  But it was much denser and didn't come out as light as Patrick's picture looked. 

I ended up having to put the batter in the fridge yesterday for a while before baking, so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it.  Anybody else have any suggestions as to why it might have come out so heavy?

View Post

The cake is supposed to be dense, almost like a pound cake. As I wrote in my description of it:

At least, I've found what I'm looking for in a strawberry cake -- exceedingly moist, dense, and flavorful. Of the three I've tried so far, this is the only one that I'm sure will get eaten to completion. Tasters at home and work also think its easily the best of the three. The only drawback --and to me its not a drawback at all-- is its density. If you want a light and airy cake, this is not the one for you.

As for the flavor, you're just not going to get a strong strawberry flavor using only strawberries. At least, I didn't, even when I used a lot. That's why the recipe included a packet of jello. I'm not sure why that it - maybe natural strawberry flavor compounds are not very heat-stable. At any rate, none of the cakes I made with just strawberries was worth making again, for just that reason -- not enough flavor.

Edited by Patrick S, 17 May 2005 - 06:04 AM.

#40 digigirl

digigirl
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

Ah, well I suppose I had just made a guess of what it would be like based on your picture, and didn't read your description closely enough.

Don't get me wrong - it was good, just wasn't the texture I expected. My boyfriend - for whose birthday it was - loved it. So it was definitely a success!

Thanks for the recipe, Patrick!

#41 JSkilling

JSkilling
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

I think it looks like a big strawberry shortcake! What's not to love???

I can see the denseness of the cake and know that's what I'd be looking for so I'd be likely to make this (and will soon!). I wonder if those dried strawberries wouldn't do the trick. Although I did just go look at the compounds to see what they have. Yum....

I just put this recipe into MasterCook so I don't have to come searching again to see which version you ended up with. Now I want strawberry cake. But, um, I can't.eat.any.more.cake.

Sigh....
Josette

#42 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

First I did try the recipe with sb jello and I didn't like the fake flavoring the jello gives off. So I omited the jello and used a strawberry compound (to taste) and that worked out great. Also for my strawberry puree I reduced my puree to get a more consentrated sauce and that also kicked up the flavor.

View Post

I made the cake again a couple of times and I agree about the jello. Actually I didn't mind the flavor so much but I think it did give a little rubberiness to the cake. So I did what you did -- reduced the puree. I think I ended up using about 2C of almost jam-like reduced puree. This worked great, and made the flavor much stronger. I need to tweak the recipe some more, but I wanted to say that I thought reducing the puree is a great tip.

#43 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

First I did try the recipe with sb jello and I didn't like the fake flavoring the jello gives off. So I omited the jello and used a strawberry compound (to taste) and that worked out great. Also for my strawberry puree I reduced my puree to get a more consentrated sauce and that also kicked up the flavor.

View Post

I made the cake again a couple of times and I agree about the jello. Actually I didn't mind the flavor so much but I think it did give a little rubberiness to the cake. So I did what you did -- reduced the puree. I think I ended up using about 2C of almost jam-like reduced puree. This worked great, and made the flavor much stronger. I need to tweak the recipe some more, but I wanted to say that I thought reducing the puree is a great tip.

View Post

Have you tried working with any of the LorAnn flavored oils, Patrick? I picked up a few bottles last month (haven't had a chance to play with them yet). I'm guessing a few drops of strawberry oil could sub for the flavor provided by the jello and solve the problem of rubberiness.

#44 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

View Post

View Post

Have you tried working with any of the LorAnn flavored oils, Patrick? I picked up a few bottles last month (haven't had a chance to play with them yet). I'm guessing a few drops of strawberry oil could sub for the flavor provided by the jello and solve the problem of rubberiness.

View Post

No, I haven't tried LorAnn oils. I see them all the time, and have wondered if they are any good. Once you use them, let me know what you think. I see that Boyajian also has a natural strawberry flavoring, and I've heard good things about their products. Anyway, the cake I made with just the super-reduced puree actually had a pretty strong flavor, and texture was improved too but now it might actually be too delicate, so I might try using more flour or AP flour instead of cake flour. The reduced puree also made the cake purple-pink in color, oddly enough.

#45 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

I finally got around to experimenting with Boyajian strawberry flavoring. $15 for 5 fluid ozs, which works out to be like $1.50 per tablespon. The smell was somewhat weird, but it tasted good in a cake.

I changed my mind again about the puree. I've decided I don't like the reduced puree. It changes the flavor -- some elements get stronger and others get weaker-- and makes the cake purplish. But I may have reduced it too much, cooked it too long.

So last night I made a strawberry chiffon cake using 1C puree from frozen strawberries plus 1T of the Boyajian flavoring. This seemed to have the best flavor yet -- stronger and more like fresh strawberries. I used the CI recipe for chiffon cake. It was perfect except 1) there was a very thin (like 1/5") custary layer on the bottom, and 2) it was maybe very slightly more delicate than I'd like to to be.

#46 ChocoChris

ChocoChris
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Hi all,
I was just asked to make a strawberry cake with vanilla buttercream. I have never made an actual strawberry cake where it is the cake that has the strawberry flavor. Does anyone have a recipe that they recommend?

Thanks!!
Take care,
Chris

#47 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Strawberry Cake recipe

Some eGulleters were trying out recipes in that thread. Can't remember whether they created a successful one or not though.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#48 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

I haven't found one I really like, and I've tried a lot.

#49 ChocoChris

ChocoChris
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

Patrick, I haven't heard of anyone ever talking about a good strawberry cake they've tasted.

Thanks for the link miladyinsanity!

#50 davecap

davecap
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

Patrick,  I haven't heard of anyone ever talking about a good strawberry cake they've tasted.

Thanks for the link miladyinsanity!

View Post

Since it is strawberry season, how about a genoise or pound cake with vanilla buttercream and sliced strawberrys?

#51 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Since it is strawberry season, how about a genoise or pound cake with vanilla buttercream and sliced strawberrys?

A good suggestion, but I think the OP is referring to a cake that is actually made from strawberries.
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#52 ChocoChris

ChocoChris
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

Yes, sanresho, that is what I mean. A kid requested the flavors. I was surprised by the unusual cake choice. I am going to ask the parents about the sliced strawberry idea.

#53 sanrensho

sanrensho
  • participating member
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

I am going to ask the parents about the sliced strawberry idea.

Or take a regular genoise and soak with a strawberry-flavored syrup.
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

#54 RDW

RDW
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

There's one in the current issue of Cook's Illustrated that is absolutely to die for. A brilliant Strawberry Cream cake. Here's a link to the recipe, someone posted it on their blog:

http://www.elise.com..._cream_cake.php

I've made it twice. People went nuts over it.

Edited by RDW, 06 June 2006 - 04:46 PM.

#55 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

I didn't care much for the CI cake overall. The strawberry syrup with kirsch was good, as was the cream cheese whipped cream. But I didnt like the sponge itself cake very much.

#56 RDW

RDW
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

I didn't care much for the CI cake overall. The strawberry syrup with kirsch was good, as was the cream cheese whipped cream. But I didnt like the sponge itself cake very much.

View Post

Oh, too bad. All my tasters thought the cake part was delicious - light, not too sweet and a perfect foil for the cream and berries.

Chacun son gout.

#57 ChocoChris

ChocoChris
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

I've also tried that recipe and concur with Patrick. I thought the filling and the whipped cream were great but I did not like the consistency of the cake very much.

#58 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

O.K., it's not exactly what Patrick was talking about, but Oli posted this baking question earlier, and when you follow the link you see a beautiful strawberry cake. I've got to try it!

#59 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:36 AM

I've tried the recipe that uses strawberry "Jell-O" only that I used one that contains no gelatin (because I am a Muslim) and the cake turned rubbery and dense like a rubber tire and did not rise at all.

#60 maui420

maui420
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

hello, have anyone here ever tried the strawberry cake from wegmans? i was just wondering what your thoughts are about the cake. I thought and most of my coworkers also thought it was really good.

what recommendation do you have for the cake itself? im thinking id like to try the CI cake, keep the filling and topping, but use another cake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert