Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Mezcal

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

At work recently we had two presentations on the paranormal.  I mention this only because around midnight I heard a loud pop, and discovered someone had uncorked a bottle of tobala and left the cork half way across the room.

I have replaced the cork but it keeps trying to get out.  Any suggestions for exorcising mezcal?

My bottle of Chichicapa recently did this. I attributed it to some fuzzy aspect of physics: it was a warm day and ... well ... hot/cold/pressure/blahblahblah. Maybe. I mean, I haven't witnessed it again: even though we've had very hot days in which the temperature has dropped relatively quickly.

More on point, I'm sipping on some Vida at the moment. It's lovely. I like the Chichicapa but I'm almost inclined to say I like the Vida more. Maybe as much as my all-time favourite, Ilegal reposado. Wondering where else I'd like to go in the Maguey range next.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#92 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

I believe the Vida is made from the same stock as the San Luis del Rio, so that would be a good bet.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#93 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

More on point, I'm sipping on some Vida at the moment. It's lovely. I like the Chichicapa but I'm almost inclined to say I like the Vida more. Maybe as much as my all-time favourite, Ilegal reposado. Wondering where else I'd like to go in the Maguey range next.

Good to know. My bottle of Vida is almost gone and I was considering "upgrading" to Chichicapa which is twice the price and recommended in the Death & Co book. Maybe I should try it before committing.

#94 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

The only two I have are Vida and Tobala.  Both of which I like.  I suggest you try Pechuga and report back.

#95 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

Chichicapa and Vida taste nothing alike—Vida is excellent for giving smoke, citrus, and other broad-strokes mezcal notes to cocktails; Chichicapa is much less smokey, with citric, tropical, and mineral flavors. Both are excellent. As far as substitutes for Vida, Sombra works well. Vida can fill in for Chichicapa in a pinch, but the flavors are quite different. (I don't really know how Death & Co can afford to feature so many drinks with Chichicapa.)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#96 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

The only two I have are Vida and Tobala.  Both of which I like.  I suggest you try Pechuga and report back.

Or the Iberico. I am very curious about that one!

#97 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

The Del Maguey line sounds good, but what's the reason it's so popular here? Quality alone? Availability in the U.S.? Some combination? We drank a lot of mezcal in Mexico City over New Year's and never saw it on any menu or used in cocktails.

I'll try to post the bottles we brought back when I get home... curious to see if people have had them and what you think of them if so.

#98 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

The Del Maguey line sounds good, but what's the reason it's so popular here? Quality alone? Availability in the U.S.? Some combination? We drank a lot of mezcal in Mexico City over New Year's and never saw it on any menu or used in cocktails.

I'll try to post the bottles we brought back when I get home... curious to see if people have had them and what you think of them if so.

It's not just the pretty labels.

#99 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

Del Maguey was created to highlight quality and regional diversity in a category that, at the time, just about everyone in the US dismissed. It was created for the US market by someone with good knowledge of the industry, and it succeeded in increasing category knowledge among both connaisseurs and bartenders (for whom Vida was developed). Basically it's a quality line targeted at the States that got there before anyone else.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#100 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Ah, quality + timing + marketing, the classic triple threat. Sounds like a respectable project. I'll look around for it.

#101 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

Good to know. My bottle of Vida is almost gone and I was considering "upgrading" to Chichicapa which is twice the price and recommended in the Death & Co book. Maybe I should try it before committing.

Twice? Wow. In Australia the Vida is $100AUD. The Chichicapa and a couple of others are $125, which is close enough to $100 to not be a big influence on my purchasing decision (same price bracket/still expensive). Then you have some $150 models.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#102 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

Twice? Wow. In Australia the Vida is $100AUD. The Chichicapa and a couple of others are $125, which is close enough to $100 to not be a big influence on my purchasing decision (same price bracket/still expensive). Then you have some $150 models.

Vida is the entry-level offering from the line at $35 or so. Chichicapa is around $70. The rest of the line is $70 - $120, with the exception of the Pechuga and Iberico at $200...

#103 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Do you get Fidencio? Their entry level goes head to head with Vida and tends to be cheaper here.

#104 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

Do you get Fidencio? Their entry level goes head to head with Vida and tends to be cheaper here.

No. Altho' it's not like the Maguey range has been available for a particularly long time, either, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#105 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

The Emperor (Valdez Campos via Gaz Regan) with Del Maguey Chichicapa mezcal (Vida), Campari, Pierre Ferrand dry curacao, orange twist. Equal parts like a Negroni, but no vermouth so not technically a Negroni. Smokey and refreshing.

16788847711_ae2d1a91be_z.jpg

• Hassouni likes this

#106 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Yellowish Negroni-ish -- white rye, Vermouth del Professore, Breckenridge Bitters

• ChrisTaylor likes this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#107 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

Dan - where is the mezcal? :-)
  • Fernet-Bronco likes this

#108 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member