Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
590 replies to this topic

#331 inventolux

inventolux
  • participating member
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

Tomorrows secret ingredient - toxic water. UNLESS WE GET IT TOGETHER!
Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:
http://planetgreen.d...tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu
Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant
www.motorestaurant.com

#332 ghost

ghost
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:08 AM

I think this show would be much more interesting if they got rid of the Iron Chefs all together. Just get 2 real chefs and let them goto town. Perhaps have a playoff with all the winners during a season or something. Show the food off, not the personalities.
WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

#333 BCinBC

BCinBC
  • participating member
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

^ But Batali, Morimoto, Flay and Cora are all "real chefs", with their own real restaurants. (Actually I'm not sure if Cora is in that category at present, but the other three definitely are.)

If you want the food, go to PBS.

#334 pork

pork
  • participating member
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Anyone catch Michelle Bernstein totally spanking Flay in battle onion?

Posted Image

Oh my, she is dreeeeamy. Good cook too.

Also, god in heaven why did they fuck up the Shatner episode so badly? Shatner would have been a perfect Chairman, for all eternity. It was his place. Why the hell would they feed him horrible puns and alliterative nonsense through a teleprompter? He could have ad-libbed the whole thing and we'd have been enthralled.

I, too, weep for what could have been; nay, should have been. The four horsemen are not sous. They are: Marc Summers, Bobby Rivers, Al Roker, and Marc Silverstein.

#335 FistFullaRoux

FistFullaRoux
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

What about a Joe Public contestant? Someone with little to no restaurant experience. Just an average to great home cook.

Sign me up. I'd like to give it a whirl...
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

#336 jm chen

jm chen
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

The Big Head and the Big Ego against the Big Belly and the Big Grin. Yeesh. It's Frankenchef.

I don't know who I want to root against more.

If the secret ingredient is EVOO I will shoot somebody, and no mistake.
Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog
Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

#337 Leonard Kim

Leonard Kim
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

http://www.delawareo.../602220319/1005

full article including pictures and multimedia.

#338 Chad

Chad
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:12 AM

Very nice report from MSNBC's Jon Bonne: Iron Chef America Trades Spectacle for Serious Cooking
Looks like Iron Chef America has hit its stride. I know I've enjoyed some of the newer shows.

Showboating aside, each “Iron Chef America” episode now offers valuable lessons from the kitchen. It may have become Food Network's most serious-minded show, in part because it has transformed from mere spectacle to include a healthy dose of how-to.

“There was the drama, the tension, the humor and the campiness of it, but people were actually taking away food information,” says Bruce Seidel, the Food Network's vice president for program planning. “We were like, ‘How can we build on that?’”

Chad
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com

#339 glazz

glazz
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:15 AM

Like him or be bored by him Alton Brown must have an 170 IQ. And I'm bored by him now same as Emeril. I loved one of his (Alton's) first episodes where he rummaged through a junk yard and found some old gym lockers which he then made into a BBQ smoker

Now I'm going to contradict myeslf... I say he does well as the Iron Chef host. Witty repartee as fast as Alvin and the Chipmunks singing Christmas carols at 78rpm

#340 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:38 AM

Re: Alton's comments about publicists and managers.
A- He must have one, of each, and for some time now.
B_ Chefs started having managers in the late 80's/early 90's, when Shep Gordon, who managed Alice Cooper and was/is a top level gourmand, basically started a chef management firm.
This was reported in Food Arts, I believe, and the article listed his roster, which was just about everybody!
2317/5000

#341 Chris Cognac

Chris Cognac
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

Its amazing....once the battle starts...Alton goes non stop for 1 hr...He is a wealth of knowledge...the dude is really smart!
Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!
The Hungry Detective

#342 Scottyfitzg

Scottyfitzg
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

View Post

What I find most insulting about Iron Chef is the ridiculous notion that the secret ingredients are actually kept a secret to the chefs. Give me a break. Who is going to believe that they create 4 or 5 different dishes without even taking the time to discuss what they're going to make with their sous chefs?

#343 The Apostate

The Apostate
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

Really?I always assumed that he was just reading off a prompter or laptop.

As I recall, they had an inaugural 'making of Iron Chef' show where he introduced some of the people who were prompting him via earphone during the tapings.

Or am I recalling that inaccurately?
I'm so awesome I don't even need a sig...Oh wait...SON OF A...

#344 Kim WB

Kim WB
  • participating member
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

AB provides running off the cuff commentary during the 1 hour cooking, and then records some of the scripted parts..for example, I attended the taping of the lamb battle, and he recorded a teleprompted segment describing the parts of the lamb, using a chart as a visual.

He does have some notes that I beleive he gets about the chef's background, etc that is on the lap top, but the commentarey is definitely unscripted..and also edited.

Edited by Kim WB, 23 February 2006 - 03:08 PM.

#345 FistFullaRoux

FistFullaRoux
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

I can also tell that some parts of AB's commentary are recorded/edited in later. The sound quality of his voice changes. There are some things that are "fixed in the mix" as they say, but it's still fun to watch.
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

#346 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:49 PM

Very nice report from MSNBC's Jon Bonne: Iron Chef America Trades Spectacle for Serious Cooking
Looks like Iron Chef America has hit its stride. I know I've enjoyed some of the newer shows.

Showboating aside, each “Iron Chef America” episode now offers valuable lessons from the kitchen. It may have become Food Network's most serious-minded show, in part because it has transformed from mere spectacle to include a healthy dose of how-to.

“There was the drama, the tension, the humor and the campiness of it, but people were actually taking away food information,” says Bruce Seidel, the Food Network's vice president for program planning. “We were like, ‘How can we build on that?’”

Chad

View Post

Thanks for spoiling the theme ingredient, MSNBC. Chad: For those who have yet to read it, you might want to add a warning.
PS: I am a guy.

#347 JPW

JPW
  • participating member
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:11 AM

Chad

View Post

Interesting when you compare this to what Sara Moulton was telling us about FTV.

A side of hypocrisy for your burger anyone?
If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

#348 Chris Cognac

Chris Cognac
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

View Post

What I find most insulting about Iron Chef is the ridiculous notion that the secret ingredients are actually kept a secret to the chefs. Give me a break. Who is going to believe that they create 4 or 5 different dishes without even taking the time to discuss what they're going to make with their sous chefs?

View Post

It is.....they have to submit menu's for 3 different ingredients, then the theme is revealed on the show....i can tell you from experience they are pretty serious about keeping it a secret until filming....even bringing in big shields to cover the area when the ingredient is being loaded onto the platform..
The Hungry Detective

#349 Scottyfitzg

Scottyfitzg
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

"It is.....they have to submit menu's for 3 different ingredients"

So they have a darn good idea of what they're going to do. They just have a lot of prep work to do before hand 'cause they have to essentially prepare 15 dishes: 5 or so for each possible ingredient. Either way it's not anywhere near as impromptu as the show wuold have people believe. Fine with me, I'll still tune in every once in a while, I just wish they made Alton Brown say "Ah, kukisan!" before he interjected anything.

#350 bottomlesspit

bottomlesspit
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Why is it that when I think of Giada, all I see is her giant head and enormous teeth - and if I posted that I would get hopped all over for being horrible and nasty but when a MAN thinks of nothing but chesticles and says so right here in front of everyone, no one flinches?  I mean no woman would come here and say wooohooo...how ever DOES Flay find pants that fit?  and that Chairman...he is SOOOOOO flexible!!! 

Shame on you boys!   :laugh:

View Post

When hubs and I watch the food tv, I make the catty quips about Giada's enormous teeth/forehead and we both snicker over Bobby's chesticles.

* Edited to add that Bourdain would make a horrible secret ingredient - no meat on his bones. Might make for some great stock, though...

Edited by bottomlesspit, 24 February 2006 - 11:28 AM.

sg

#351 TrishCT

TrishCT
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

On the original Iron Chef, the chefs were also given a short list of secret ingredients, so although it was a secret, they were prepared for whatever they got.

Hey Chris, when are your episodes airing?

#352 Chris Cognac

Chris Cognac
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

On the original Iron Chef, the chefs were also given a short list of secret ingredients, so although it was a secret, they were prepared for whatever they got.

Hey Chris, when are your episodes airing?

View Post

Maybe October....I dont think they have the full line up yet....I am having lunch next week w one of the producers from Triage and maybe he will have more info....
The Hungry Detective

#353 handmc

handmc
  • participating member
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

* Edited to add that Bourdain would make a horrible secret ingredient - no meat on his bones. Might make for some great stock, though...

View Post

[/quote]

Yeah, Tony comes pre marinated! :laugh:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------
One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

#354 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

I have known Chef Richard Blais for many years as he rose to his current fame for creative, highly inventive cuisine here in Atlanta. He has always been most gracious in sharing his expertise with me, as well as his cooking abilities. Although he told me in advance that he would not divulge the winner of his ICA Contest, nor even the "secret ingredient" as per his confidentiality agreement, he did consent to share his insights on the entire experience here with me and, now you, at eGullet ... so, without further ado, I present to you my exclusive interview with Chef Blais:

Q: Richard, I recently read two articles on the MSNBC website by eGullet's Jon Bonné:
Food gets its closeup on 'Iron Chef America'

How 'Iron Chef America' makes its magic

which opened up a number of interesting questions on this topic for me. Because you have just been a participant in ICA, I have some questions to ask of you, Chef Blais.

Q: What types of dishes were you preparing for this competition?

We wanted to make sure we did our food. We had 2 weeks to prepare for the battle, but we didn't want to try to come up with anything we didn't do already. Even though we always have ideas on the chalk board and new techniques in the works, we wanted to represent what we do every day. It will be interesting to see where we are when the show finally airs, to see how far we have come since the taping. But we were fighting the urge to do things that weren't ready yet. I'm glad we didn't.

Q: What was the general atmosphere of the ICA event? Was it intense? Did you feel any pressures from the ICA staff and managers?

The event itself is very intense. I think when you watch the show, you say things like, it's really not an hour, and they know the ingredient, and all the common misperceptions. It's really 1 hour, and when you arrive at Chelsea Market, there is makeup, and an interview, but then it's showtime, no mise en place, turn on the equipment and go.

The staff at ICA were all top notch. You get the feeling that you're about to have this huge moment in your career, possibly totally embarrass yourself, but the staff does this every day, so they are very relaxed, just another Monday sort of vibe. But everyone there was professional and hospitable.

Q: What guidelines were you required to follow? Would you have tightened those guidelines or loosened them?

The guidelines are pretty simple. No mise en place, you can bring certain equipment, have certain ingredients available, and then you have 1 hour. Very different than a restaurant. Especially for our food. I mean we dehydrate things for hours and cook sous vide for days. That wasn't going to happen on ICA.

Q: How much time were you allowed to interact with Alton Brown before, during, and after the competition?

Alton came in and poked around some of the ingredients, said hello, but I've had more interaction with him at the restaurant. After the competition we chatted a bit, but, with another episode being shot behind us, he was very busy...

One of the coolest things about the competition is Alton annoucing the whole thing. I'm sure they plug certain things in after, but he just calls the whole event non stop. That was thrilling actually, really pumped me up hearing him.

Q: ICA is, according to the MSNBC articles, more focused upon the simplicity of the “secret ingredient”. Without divulging the ingredient itself, can you tell us whether it was easy to work with? Did you get some advance notice of 5 possible ingredients beforehand, as the article notes?

I would say that the MSNBC article sounds accurate. I signed a confidentiality agreement, so I can't talk about the ingredient. But, it was challenging for us. A simple ingredient in some styles of cooking, but a challenge for us, especially in the time frame.

Q: What were your personal reactions to the experience as a whole .. best and worst parts ?

I had a blast doing ICA. The best part was when it was over, as far as stress is concerned. As well, our training really brought our team together. Not just the chefs who went with me, but we had a good portion of our team showing up at 6AM to practice, help with timing, etc. it was a bonding experience. The worst part was choosing who to bring. We have a very democratic kitchen and a lot of talent, so making that decision was tough. And the actual start of the competion was rough for me. There were a few seconds where the reality hit me, and I realized there were cameramen and robotic cameras eveywhere.

Q: Was this truly a learning experience for you? Or was it simply pretty much what you knew already?

A big learning experience. You can do a lot in an hour. And I don't think I can ever be nervous about anything on camera anymore. I mean that's it, you're totally exposed, it was awesome.

Thank you for joining us on this occasion and offering your own personal insights on this experience!

Readers of eGullet: If you have ever visited Atlanta, or actually live here, have you had the opportunity to experience the food created by Chef Richard Blais?
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#355 Collins

Collins
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, Melissa for a nice "warm up" to the episode! Had the pleasure of dining at ONE a few weeks ago and had the tasting menu, which was absolutely phenomenal, but more to the point, about as much fun as I've ever had in a restaurant. Chef Blais was not working that night, but did stop by the restaurant later and made a point of coming over and saying hello and making sure everything was great. Chris and Eli (forgive me if I spelled that wrong!) were beyond gracious and my girlfriend and I had a fantastic time interacting with them and talking shop, so to speak (sounds presumptuous on my part, i realize).

They spoke about ICA a bit - definitely watching their tongues about details...gotta love those NCA's! Got me really excited for the episode - I know they're going to do a great job and really show the viewers just what Chef Blais and his team can do!

It's been discussed on this board before in a separate thread, but if you love food and want to really experience a unique approach to cooking and dining, you MUST, MUST, MUST go to ONE and do the tasting on a Mon or Tue night. It is a truly fantastic experience on all levels - from the service to the food to the interaction with the staff.

Edited by Collins, 01 March 2006 - 08:50 AM.

#356 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

Collins, my appetite has been whetted (in keeping with the food theme) to watch the ICA episode featuring Chef Blais as well .. probably will even tape it when it happens.

The thread on One Midtown is here and it includes the website as well. I agree with your must, must, must!

#357 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

Very interesting interview, Mel. It gives a nice perspective on the event from the participant's point of view. I haven't been to his restaurant yet, but it sounds like one that I tend to enjoy very much. When is his episode scheduled for?
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#358 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

When is his episode scheduled for?

View Post

He will let us know when the air date is set for, unless I miss my guess!

If you are ever in Atlanta, docsconz, please do have dinner at this restaurant. Blais did some of his training at elBulli in Spain where you had the pleasure of dining recently.

#359 Voodoo

Voodoo
  • participating member
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

How much and how long is this famous tasting menu at OMK?

#360 Collins

Collins
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

Voodoo - the night we went, believe dinner lasted about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or so...nothing too long. The beauty of Mon/Tue is the restaurant is pretty quiet, so it really moves at whatever pace you want it to...if you just wanted to eat and not really chat up the staff, you could probably plow through the 7 courses (that's what we had) pretty quickly, but I think that would really be a mistake.

As far as cost? It's a STEAL - we literally told them we felt like we were stealing from them. 7 courses WITH paired wines for each course came to roughly $85-$90 per person....absolutely filthy! I was stunned...

By the way - when Chef Blais came by, he was wearing a t-shirt that said "I heart Mayonnaise"...wonder if anyone knows where to find one like that? Would wear it PROUDLY!!!