Trinidad Sour sounds like something I would really like. Alas, no rye in house, though my local store has a rather nice assortment of brands and bottles. Not sure if my next paycheck will cover it. I'd really like to try a bottle of rye to see if I like it.
Tonight I'm on my second daiquiri -- of a day that featured lying in the road, in ice water, in the cold rain. Somewhat glad to be alive however.
What I have just noticed, getting back to the topic at hand, is that when I say a drink tastes weak, what I really mean is that the drink tastes low in citrus. My drinks are certainly never weak in alcohol. I have not found a mixed drink without lime or lemon, or other acidic fruit that I enjoy. More the better. Is this normal?
Got a rye-heavy bourbon? I've done it with both Rittenhouse 100 and Wild Turkey 101 and it comes out great both ways.
I have no bourbon either. I have tasted bourbon, years ago, and I remember that I liked it. I've read the entire eG thread on rye but still have no firm idea of what it tastes like. I feel like such a virgin. One thing I do not like (with all apologies to Canadians) is Canadian blended whiskey. If rye tastes like blended whiskey I will pass.
Is tannic a taste in rye? If so, are some brands of rye less tannic than others? As I said I have a lot of local rye choices, including Rittenhouse 100. Less tannic the better as far as I am concerned.
Nothing new to contribute to the thread tonight. I'm on my second cup of "whiskey" punch made with Black Barrel rum. I can't believe I made it thtough the bottle. It may be my last whiskey punch till I find a replacement. Which won't be till payday. The recipe does call for rye.
Rye is much closer to bourbon than to Canadian blended whisky, or anything else. Its flavor is generally dryer than bourbon, with less corn sweetness, and more mouth-tingling spice, notably hot cinnamon and white pepper. Brands with a lot of rye grain in the mashbill (Bulleit, Templeton, Dickel rye) can have mint and evergreen flavors as well. If you've liked bourbon in the past then give rye a shot; order some Rittenhouse or Bulleit at a bar.
Rafa hit the nail so squarely on the head I'm not sure what else I can say, but here's my attempt:
I prefer rye to bourbon because of the so-described dryness. Granted, this varies in ryes and varies in bourbons, depending on how much rye/corn/wheat is involved.
Bourbon must be min. 51% corn, rye must be min 51% rye. What makes up that remaining 49% is open to the distiller. The higher the rye content (for either whisky), the spicier and less sweet it will be. For example, Bulleit Rye is 95% rye. I believe Rittenhouse is also high up there. Both are by no means sweet, and with the 100 proof of the Rittenhouse, it's perfect for cocktails, whereas a lower percentage and lower proof rye, such as Pikesville, while quite unobjectionable, doesn't stand out the same way.
Bourbons such as Maker's Mark, as Rafa and others have said elsewhere, are heavy on the wheat for the remaining 49%. These tend towards being too sweet for my tastes. My go-to Bourbon, though, Wild Turkey 101, is as I understand it, heavy on the rye for its 49% and comes off far less sweet, and more bracing than most bourbons. Just like Rittenhouse, that quality plus its proof make it a great cocktail spirit.
As for tannic qualities, if I'm not mistaken that's just a function of time in the barrel, as tannins are released from oak. So theoretically, bourbon and rye should have the same amount of tannins given the same age and same type of barrel. That said, though, there is a somewhat astringent quality in the high-rye mashbill spirits, but this is why rye is so favored among cocktail enthusiasts (at least those who dislike sweet drinks!)
Finally, Canadian whisky has nothing to do with real rye and you should not confuse the two.