Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Loki, never put much of anything in the garbage disposal.  They are a plumber's cash cow.

Or go S-L-O-W-L-Y. I generally take about a minute with the peels from about 5 pounds of potatoes. As long as I take my time I don't have problems.

• judiu and annabelle like this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#152 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

Loki, never put much of anything in the garbage disposal.  They are a plumber's cash cow.

Or go S-L-O-W-L-Y. I generally take about a minute with the peels from about 5 pounds of potatoes. As long as I take my time I don't have problems.

Wouldn't it be easier to toss them in the compost or even the trash?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#153 chileheadmike

chileheadmike
  • participating member
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Use a box cutter to open the plastic wrapping that was bundling a 4 pack of Coke 2-liters.

Bad idea.
  • judiu, annabelle and SylviaLovegren like this
That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

#154 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Put artichoke refuse in the garbage disposal.

Or asparagus. :sad:

That was 20 years ago, and I still think twice about putting anything in there. We ended up replacing the disposal altogether.

Reminds me of a joke:

Guest:  Where's the switch for the garbage disposal?

Host:  We don't have a garbage disposal.

Guest:  Oops!

• judiu and Porthos like this

#155 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I accidentally garbage disposal-ed a small shot glass once and toasted the motor.  I will never again put shot glasses in the garbage disposal side of the sink.  Fortunately it wasn't very difficult to install a new GD ourselves and save on the plumbing bill.

• judiu, annabelle and ChrisTaylor like this

#156 Quiltguy

Quiltguy
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Use a box cutter to open the plastic wrapping that was bundling a 4 pack of Coke 2-liters.

Bad idea.

Since no one else has asked. What happened? Did you get a 2 liter Coke shower? Or, was it more painful?

#157 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

I will never not ever no matter what repeat this chemistry lesson I just experienced.

So, you know how some sausage making literature advises you to sterilise your mincer with (diluted) bleach? Do not do this. Boil it. Steam it. Park it in the oven. Use that shit they sell at the home brew store. Do. Not. Bleach. It. No matter what. Take food poisoning and possible death over the combination of bleach and stainless steel. Beaucoup bad shit. Too beaucoup.

Had a real good time cleaning off the shitty residue. 

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 30 December 2013 - 12:52 AM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#158 chileheadmike

chileheadmike
  • participating member
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Bad idea.

Since no one else has asked. What happened? Did you get a 2 liter Coke shower? Or, was it more painful?

The kitchen and I got a coke shower. Kids learned some new words. They thought it was pretty funny.
  • judiu, annabelle, Porthos and 2 others like this
That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

#159 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

I will never not ever no matter what repeat this chemistry lesson I just experienced.

So, you know how some sausage making literature advises you to sterilise your mincer with (diluted) bleach? Do not do this. Boil it. Steam it. Park it in the oven. Use that shit they sell at the home brew store. Do. Not. Bleach. It. No matter what. Take food poisoning and possible death over the combination of bleach and stainless steel. Beaucoup bad shit. Too beaucoup.

Really? I use bleach on stainless steel fairly regularly (we have a stainless sink). Never had any problems. Was there some coating on your mincer that caused the issue maybe?

#160 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Really? I use bleach on stainless steel fairly regularly (we have a stainless sink). Never had any problems. Was there some coating on your mincer that caused the issue maybe?

Maybe. But there's also boat loads of people online banging on about how you should wash your sink with CLR, vinegar, baking soda, dish washing detergent, the tears of babies and basically anything but chlorine-based bleach. I'm not sure if it's real or some kind of old wives' tale derived from the experience someone had long ago with, say, all the critical bits of an 800W Tefal mincer.

• judiu likes this

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#161 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

While we're at it, permit me to add another gripe. I will never again come across as so accommodating to the fruity dietary preferences of guests. No. I mean, leaving out a particular element that's a second tier element (say, the lettuce in a burger)? That's fine. No problem. I won't make you pick it out. But deciding, a few hours before, that you'd like to come to an event ... when two of the main elements of the dish contain trace amount of an ingredient you must never not ever consume for a somewhat irrational (but heart-string-tugging) reason? Fuck it. I'm not making something extra. I'm not buying something else. Bring your own ketchup, man.

Sorry. I'll stop being a bad person.

• annabelle, gfweb, Porthos and 2 others like this

Chris Taylor

Melbourne