Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

2013 Christmas presents for the cook and the kitchen

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Andie, you mentioned your Magimix toaster a couple posts up, is that the glass-sided one? I think you mentioned it in the Toaster thread a while ago, are you still enjoying it?

As far as Christmas presents, I am really liking the thermoworks Extra Big and Loud timer. No more endless punching up one number at a time. it counts up once the timer goes off so you know how long its been.

Yes. That is the glass-sided Magimix - single long slot - but I have a complaint.  it is no longer toasting evenly - which seems to be a symptom in so many "modern" toasters.  It makes me angry because my 60+ year-old Sunbeam STILL toasts evenly from side to side and top to bottom. 

I simply do not understand why they do this.

PARTICULARLY when it is such an EXPENSIVE toaster.

Edited by andiesenji, 19 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#122 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

which one did you get ?

Vollrath Intrique 3 quart.  Stainless steel construction. I strongly trend toward commercial kitchen equipment for my home kitchen since I know that it can go into the dishwasher and since it is an NSF-marked piece to can be easily cleaned to California (CURFFL health codes) retail food standards.

attachicon.gifIMAG0325.jpg

Nice!

I got the 2 quart Sur La Table Saucier.....love it!

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#123 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Andie, you mentioned your Magimix toaster a couple posts up, is that the glass-sided one? I think you mentioned it in the Toaster thread a while ago, are you still enjoying it?

As far as Christmas presents, I am really liking the thermoworks Extra Big and Loud timer. No more endless punching up one number at a time. it counts up once the timer goes off so you know how long its been.

Yes. That is the glass-sided Magimix - single long slot - but I have a complaint.  it is no longer toasting evenly - which seems to be a symptom in so many "modern" toasters.  It makes me angry because my 60+ year-old Sunbeam STILL toasts evenly from side to side and top to bottom. 

I simply do not understand why they do this.

PARTICULARLY when it is such an EXPENSIVE toaster.

Breville seems to do things properly. Anybody have a Breville toaster?

#124 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have a Breville Ikon toaster  two long slots (4-slice) and it too toasts unevenly.  It toasts the top 2/3 of bread just fine but the bottom 1/3 is barely toasted at all in both slots, entire length. 

We used to have a wonderful small appliance repair guy here in town but since he retired, his son who now owns the vacuum and sewing machine store, has no interest in repairing small electric appliances. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#125 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

A (belated) Christmas gift to myself: a 10-inch Global G-16 chef's knife. It was the last one in the store and therefore on clearance. It should be a nice upgrade from what I've been using, a Victorinox Forschner 8-inch chef knife which can feel a little flimsy with bigger jobs... (I also have an 8-inch Messermeister but it's too heavy for me.)

12260818553_cddbeebebd_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 03 February 2014 - 02:47 PM.

• judiu likes this

#126 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

""  on clearance ""

even better !

you will love this knife, but it takes keen interest to learn how to sharpen it properly.

once that happens, these knives 'glow'

congratulations !

#127 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 908 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

A (belated) Christmas gift to myself: a 10-inch Global G-16 chef's knife. It was the last one in the store and therefore on clearance. It should be a nice upgrade from what I've been using, a Victorinox Forschner 8-inch chef knife which can feel a little flimsy with bigger jobs... (I also have an 8-inch Messermeister but it's too heavy for me.)

12260818553_cddbeebebd_z.jpg

What's in the Wusthof box?

#128 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

It's a sleeve for the knife so I don't accidentally lose a finger while looking for it in the kitchen drawer.
  • judiu likes this