Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#181 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Ohhhhh so pretty... They put me in an ethereal place, like starry nights and milkyway

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#182 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Nice. What is this about a new compressor? What happened to Fuji?

Chocolate Workshop--Saturday, May 17 & Sunday, May 18th, 2014 • 4780 W. Harmon Ave. Ste 1, Las Vegas, NV 89103 • Hotel accommodations at Tuscany Hotel, group code: 13B7TU

Ruth Kendrick
Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#183 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Fuji is still around - but in the process of playing with young Kyle's compressor and Badger airbrush I decided I needed a regular compressor (read quiet) for quick work.  I found two identical, very quiet compressors on Kijiji, both well away from where I live, and e-mailed to ask if they would consider shipping figuring neither would answer.  Both responded within a few minutes of each other!  So dhardy123 has one of them now and I the other.

It is an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet - really quiet and demand triggered.  Now to work around the frustration of a blocking badger - I've had coloured cocoa butter under my nails for a week.  

#184 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Those are beautiful, love the colors....

#185 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Kerry, beautiful eggs!

#186 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

I would like some of those! Very pretty with the gold, Kerry.

#187 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

That Iwata is exactly the compressor that the Australian qualifier for the WCM uses :) They look beautiful!

#188 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

408944_305094726285075_919762820_n.jpg

A kahlua caramel. A few air bubbles, but overall I'm happy with them - had to leave in the cabinet for two days before I could cap them though, the caramel is *very* soft!

and my 'signature' chocolate: the ladybird mold.

577445_305095576284990_1364372396_n.jpg

I'll definitely be able to do those better when I have saved enough to spray!

Edited by keychris, 25 March 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#189 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Fuji is still around - but in the process of playing with young Kyle's compressor and Badger airbrush I decided I needed a regular compressor (read quiet) for quick work.  I found two identical, very quiet compressors on Kijiji, both well away from where I live, and e-mailed to ask if they would consider shipping figuring neither would answer.  Both responded within a few minutes of each other!  So dhardy123 has one of them now and I the other.

It is an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet - really quiet and demand triggered.  Now to work around the frustration of a blocking badger - I've had coloured cocoa butter under my nails for a week.  

If you have a dehydrator, put the Badger in there for a while and let it all melt.  Then attach it to the compressor and blow it clean.  Works like a charm.

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#190 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Good idea - but a pipecleaner did the trick the other night.

#191 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Been playing with eggs (of course), and surprising myself with how much fun I'm having. Not sure I'll be able to part with "Poetry Egg," though. Sigh.

Rich

Attached Images

• PoetryEgg.jpg
  • GoldEgg.jpg
  • ArtEgg.jpg

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#192 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

I'll definitely be able to do those better when I have saved enough to spray!

The bugs are very funky--definitely keep up on them. You're hand-dropped the white dots, then painting or airbrushing the red shell?

Kind regards,

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#193 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

yay piping!

Yay style! Those are exquisite!

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#194 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

Rich - I've been looking at the eggs on your website.  They are quite gorgeous.  I was quite intrigued by Ovum 4 and 5.  Did you drop a drop of very lean coloured cocoa butter then hit it with an empty airbrush?  Amazing effect on the green and gold egg as well.  Actually amazing effects on all of them!

#195 jharkins

jharkins
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Beautiful! Very different from other things ive seen. 

#196 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Rich - I've been looking at the eggs on your website.  They are quite gorgeous.  I was quite intrigued by Ovum 4 and 5.  Did you drop a drop of very lean coloured cocoa butter then hit it with an empty airbrush?  Amazing effect on the green and gold egg as well.  Actually amazing effects on all of them!

Hi Kerry,

Pretty close. I blast a nearly-dry airbrush for 3-4 second each spot, then move on--a trick I picked up while visiting Paul Debondt in Pisa. Fill in afterward with an airbrush or colored lustre. There are a few wilder eggs on our facebook page that haven't made it to the site yet.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#197 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Beautiful! Very different from other things ive seen. 

Thank you!

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#198 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hi Kerry,

Pretty close. I blast a nearly-dry airbrush for 3-4 second each spot, then move on--a trick I picked up while visiting Paul Debondt in Pisa. Fill in afterward with an airbrush or colored lustre. There are a few wilder eggs on our facebook page that haven't made it to the site yet.

Rich

Looking at your facebook page - I'm interested in what sort of an airbrush you are using - looks like an external mix of some sort?

Edited by Kerry Beal, 29 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#199 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hi Kerry,

Rich

Looking at your facebook page - I'm interested in what sort of an airbrush you are using - looks like an external mix of some sort?

http://www.paascheai...gle-action/h-1l

It's a little finicky with cocoa butter--have to keep it warm--but I like the control, especially with the finer tip.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#200 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Funny - I ordered one of those a couple of days ago.  It comes with 3 nozzles - hoping the 1.07 will minimize the blocking issues.  

#201 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Been playing with eggs (of course), and surprising myself with how much fun I'm having. Not sure I'll be able to part with "Poetry Egg," though. Sigh.

Rich

Rich, I'm loving the Gold Egg... how did you get that effect?  Congrats on awesome work!

#202 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi Lana,

The gold egg was the simplest. I splattered blue, then gold lustre into the mold, warmed, tossed in a handful of cacao, then finally shot in the tempered chocolate. Sold the orange egg yesterday. Slightly sad, but it went to a good home!

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#203 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Funny - I ordered one of those a couple of days ago.  It comes with 3 nozzles - hoping the 1.07 will minimize the blocking issues.  

It'll still block--I keep a blow dryer nearby for frequent warming. It's important to ensure the washer in the nozzle head is completely screwed in before each use, or it will *definitely* block. Also, I keep the whole assembly warm for 30 minutes of so before use.

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#204 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi Lana,

The gold egg was the simplest. I splattered blue, then gold lustre into the mold, warmed, tossed in a handful of cacao, then finally shot in the tempered chocolate. Sold the orange egg yesterday. Slightly sad, but it went to a good home!

Rich

Ahh, it was the handful of cacao giving that cool rustic look... 'the holes' :)

#205 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Ooooooo I'm stoked I get to post something in the 'showroom finish' thread, so used to the 'crappy chocolate' thread! Been messing around with chocolate a little more lately, and getting good results. Heres the best I've done with my polycarbonate. Has a simple caramel filling.

Attached Images

• Filling.jpg
  • Caramel Bonbon.jpg

#206 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

attachicon.gifchocolates for brit.jpg

Wow, Lior, that striped effect on the chocolates looks amazing!

Wow! I love the stripy pucks!

Rich

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#207 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Kerry,

I finally killed my airbrush over the Easter rush (the threading that holds the lock-screw in place stripped) and replaced it with a Paasche VL internal mix, which I've now used twice and LOVE. It gives me complete control of the pressure and density directly from the trigger and doesn't stuff up as much. I was afraid the internal mix would be harder to clean, but it's actually much easier. Sorry to pass this along *after* you purchased you new brush!

Kind regards,

Rich

Edited by DancingLion Chocolates, 21 April 2013 - 07:08 AM.

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#208 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Kerry,

I finally killed my airbrush over the Easter rush (the threading that holds the lock-screw in place stripped) and replaced it with a Paasche VL internal mix, which I've now used twice and LOVE. It gives me complete control of the pressure and density directly from the trigger and doesn't stuff up as much. I was afraid the internal mix would be harder to clean, but it's actually much easier. Sorry to pass this along *after* you purchased you new brush!

Kind regards,

Rich

Using the Paasch external mix with the large nozzle- and loving it!  The Badger 350 - not so much!

#209 DancingLion Chocolates

DancingLion Chocolates
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Kerry,

Kind regards,

Rich

Using the Paasch external mix with the large nozzle- and loving it!  The Badger 350 - not so much!

I agree. The Badger is more like an elephant compared with the Paasche. Still have mine, but haven't used it in years.

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

#210 carl_spencer

carl_spencer
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Damned beautiful chocolates!

Avid traveler and food lover. Right now in Thailand and lovin it! Reviewer and Writer at Bangkok Best Dining.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate