Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Coffee grinder and coffee for Christmas present?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrsadm

mrsadm
  • participating member
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hi everyone, I'd like to get a coffee grinder and a nice selection of whole bean coffee for my brother for Christmas. When I search the net for gift sets, I get ones with too much stuff, like a mug, cookies, etc. So I will buy them separately.

Does anyone have a favorite grinder, inexpensive? My husband uses a cheapo one and it seems to do fine.

Any recommendations for coffee sources, not Starbucks?

Thanks for the help!
Linda
"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

#2 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

How much does your brother like coffee? Has he ever ground his own?

If a beginner then look for coffee that might be roasted in your community. Some higher end supermarkets carry whole beans. be very careful with the roast date on those bags. A blade grinder will be OK as a 'starter'

If intermediate, a burr grinder. About $50 at Bed and Bath. Peets if there is one in your area will sell you 1/4 lbs bags which increase the selection. Mind you, peet's way over roasts their beans. but as an introductory gift, you get a wider selection with 1/4 lbs bags.

Edited by rotuts, 06 December 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#3 Junkbot

Junkbot
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

What's your budget for a grinder and how much of a coffee person is your brother?

If you like the cheapo one, then there's no reason to upgrade it necessarily. You might want to consider a manual grinder since they generally have better burrs than a similar priced electric.

Edited by Junkbot, 06 December 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#4 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

If your brother is not a super coffee snob aficionado, you might consider a Keurig and a selection of K-cups. We got one as a gift a couple of years ago and have grown to love it. We've since given several to family and friends (the former "Mr. Coffee" set). There is a wide selection of coffees and teas, each cup is always fresh, it's simple to use and very quick (priceless for that first cup), and if your brother is more of a do-it-yourselfer you can still get him a grinder and beans and he can use the resusable K-cup thingy that comes with the machine.

You're a good sister.

#5 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

How is he making his coffee? Blade grinders are fine if he's a French drip man, but if espresso is his thing (or is in his near future), then a blade won't cut it. I'm a fan of Baratza's burr grinders... http://www.baratza.com/ well priced for the quality, and they'll grind fine enough for an espresso machine. And my "local roaster" is Orleans Coffee Exchange: http://www.orleanscoffee.com/ Orleans will send you whole beans from a variety of roasts, or you can get a "subscription" of beans delivered to his door. I drink Orleans Coffee's espresso crema or italia roast nearly every single AM.