Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What is the WORST wine you've ever tasted?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Nyleve Baar

Nyleve Baar
  • participating member
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

MOST Lebanese wine is quite good.

I didn't mean to smear all Lebanese wine - I'm sure there are many good ones. It's just that the one we did have was SO bad that I remember it even years later.

#32 Rebel Rose

Rebel Rose
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ew. You are all officially grossing me out. Although ... I have to say that box wine has been the least of my experiences. Mostly, it's been home winemaker efforts. I've had the craps, the runs, cramps, explosive vomiting, and hallucinations from 'tasting' the next American Idol Winemaker efforts.

The first four I can understand and certainly would want to avoid, but hallucinations? Think maybe some ergot found its way into the wine? (Not sure how it'd do that, since it infects only grasses and some grains, iirc, but given the first four symptoms, who knows?)

All right, all right, I was exaggerating. :raz:

Although, an overabundance of copper sulfate can induce hallucinations. I've just never really known if it was the copper or the alchohol.

Mary Baker

RusticaFood

Find me on Facebook

#33 jorach

jorach
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I was visiting my dad on Thanksgiving. He's not much of an alcohol drinker, when it comes to wine he'll have a small glass of white zinfandel on a holiday. I offered to pick up some wine for dinner and was told that someone already was bringing wine. Perfect.The dinner guests arrived and the person responsible for wine brought her favorite: Thunderbird.

Posted Image

To quote BumWine.com:

Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA. Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd." If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you. Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower. The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage driking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum.

Edited by jorach, 21 August 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#34 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I was visiting my dad on Thanksgiving. He's not much of an alcohol drinker, when it comes to wine he'll have a small glass of white zinfandel on a holiday. I offered to pick up some wine for dinner and was told that someone already was bringing wine. Perfect.The dinner guests arrived and the person responsible for wine brought her favorite: Thunderbird.

Wow, I've always thought that Thunderbird was an urban legend. Nothing I can mention can compete with that.

#35 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Wow... Did you keep it in the paper bag?

#36 ScoopKW

ScoopKW
  • participating member
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

OK. Let's see how many professional winos are in the house. (No Googling allowed.)

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?
Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

#37 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

OK. Let's see how many professional winos are in the house. (No Googling allowed.)

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?

Thunderbird

Good and cold

I forget

Thirty twice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#38 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

30% of NY state wines are crap on purpose an another 30% are crap by lack of skill.

#39 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

I remember the B&W TV :huh: ads for T-Bird in the '50s ! never got to try it thou ...

#40 Charlotte1988

Charlotte1988
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Normally I stay away from drinking wine in a club because of how awful and cheap it normally tastes, but one time I did buy some because it was the cheapest thing on the menu and it was soooo disgusting. I actually gipped every time I sipped it and it took me ages to swallow it. I didn't want to throw it away because I couldn't afford a different drink :laugh:
Massive fan of Italian cuisine!

#41 Chef Joel

Chef Joel
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

No question.....a vile concoction sold at convenience stores everywhere known simply as 'Thunderbird'. An acquaintance brought some by the house once. As he began to unscrew the top, my cat arched her back and hissed. Dark clouds began to gather outside, and an evil presence prevailed. When he uncapped the bottle, the cat took off, and all the houseplants died...even the plastic ones. A smell similar to a mummy's tomb permeated the atmosphere, and there was a wisp of greenish smoke coming out of the bottle. I didn't know if we were supposed to drink it, or make three wishes.

After just one sip, my taste-buds were completely unconscious, and I was sure I had just been embalmed while still alive. As soon as I could move again, we buried the bottle in the back yard, deep. To this day, there is a spot in the yard where nothing grows, not even weeds.....

Bon apetit :smile:

#42 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

My mother would like me to add something called 50/50 that was available for something like 69 cents a bottle, in Ontario in the 60s and 70s. She says that it was always "best" (although that's totally a relative term) to look for darker coloured liquid in the bottles, as it was slightly less noxious that way. I understand it to have been the dregs from the kegs of Baby Duck and Blue Nun, mixed at about 50% each.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#43 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?

OMG, totally missed this the first time 'round.

What's the word? Thunderbird!
How's it sold? Good and cold
What's the jive? Bird's alive!
What's the price? Thirty twice.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#44 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

Annie Greensprings and Boones Farm Strawberry Hill. Ah, to be young again. The pot kept us from puking too much.
sparrowgrass

#45 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Farallon Pinot Noir - Horrible -The finish was so acidic, it actually burned my throat.
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#46 Stephen Bosse

Stephen Bosse
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Blue Nun. The wine so bad it made the news.

http://achewood.com/...p?date=01292003

#47 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm hoping it isn't this Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Blend Cab Sav that I bought for $2.99 today. :blush: I'll find out while watching the "Layover."

Worst experience was in boarding school. It was Riunite. It was Red. I woke up on the floor under someone's bed.

#48 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,954 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm hoping it isn't this Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Blend Cab Sav that I bought for $2.99 today. :blush: I'll find out while watching the "Layover."

Worst experience was in boarding school. It was Riunite. It was Red. I woke up on the floor under someone's bed.

Better than waking up on the floor under someone!

#49 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

Worst wine was when one of our engineers insisted on ordering the wine at a meal in Philadelphia. 

He ordered Blue Nun.

We made him drink all of it!

#50 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

I have no desire to revisit the experience, but without a shadow of doubt this was the worst I have come across. And in China that is saying  lot,

#51 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

I have no desire to revisit the experience, but without a shadow of doubt this was the worst I have come across. And in China that is saying  lot,

You need to do a food blog!

#52 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

The 2005 Canyon Country Concord from Oregon Hill Winery coalesces cruel vinyl essences and a titillating acetone bouquet with a cantankerous kerosene finish.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm, 10 October 2013 - 07:47 AM.

• rotuts likes this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#53 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

TJ's can't beat that!

#54 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

just remembered this 'Jem'  :

73 Zin Trentadue.jpg

'73 Zin Trentadue

http://www.trentadue.com/

i started collecting Zin back then.   I had 3 - 4 bottles of this, around '75.  had one bottle / year then gave up.  Awful.

remembered i had one left in the area formerly known as The Cellar.  Might be lethal now.

#55 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

'73 Zin Trentadue ...   I had 3 - 4 bottles of this, around '75.  had one bottle / year then gave up.  Awful

remembered i had one left in the area formerly known as The Cellar.  Might be lethal now.

Rotuts, what didn't you like about the wine?

Was it very tannic?

Also, when did you drink it?

I'm curious because I've had a little experience with these old Sonoma/Napa wines (the bad ones), though it's been some years since I tasted them.

#56 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I first had this in about '75.  it was "benzeene" like it was 3.50 on sale then. ............

over the years Ive collected Zins, which are my favorite, from Ridge, and RavensWood.  My price point was less than 10 bucks.  Ive had a lot of these.

the last few were 25 + years old from Ridge.  that was in in about 2000.  since then the 10's i used to collect moved up to 25 - 40 $$

that seemed a lot for something 25 years from now.

but  you are correct;  a carefully chosen Zin that you might keep is a spectacular item for the future.  bases on ones age and economic circumstances, get some and keep them for as long as you might be able to keep them!

#57 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

I first had this in about '75.  it was "benzeene" like it was 3.50 on sale then. ............

It sounds like your wine was poor quality from the get-go, maybe from young vines, not to mention less than stellar winemaking skill. I was wondering if you had one of the early Sonoma wines, those early efforts that showed hints of greatness but needed lots of aging...and forbearance. Those are the kinds of wines I've tried on occasion.

Many years ago I was at a gathering, and one of the people present was a wine collector. He opened a bottle from Napa Valley's early days (late 60s or early 70s). The wine collector mentioned that this particular winemaker wanted to make BIG wines, did a super-high extraction of fruit, and aged his wines in redwood casks. Yes, redwood. They did that back in the day.

The wine was a cabernet sauvignon. Wow. Awful. The wine was still too tannic, after more than 20 years in the cellar, and the flavors were still unbalanced. But that's how great wine gets started, you know? That early Napa Valley wine had the big, forward, rich fruit that California would later be known for, and a great finish too (if you ignored the scummy redwood flavors). People learn.

Your Trentadue Winery zinfandel seems to have improved over the years. Here:
https://www.trentadu...0&cat=la-storia
(I'm not an apologist for this winery, BTW. Don't know a thing about them, and I've never visited the winery. Though, after reading Rotuts' post, I'm curious and I may drop in to their tasting room the next time I'm in Sonoma.)

Rotuts, you could ask the winery if they would like that old bottle back for their library collection, and ask them to send you some of their present-day good stuff in its place. Seriously. Don't you deserve it after suffering through their early efforts? :biggrin:

#58 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

interesting idea.   but i do have to tell you, ive done very well with my collections over 30 years.

Ridge top stuff 20 - 25 years old was a taste of heaven.

if you can get them to take it back, let them send you something for the "spot"

really.