Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What do you put on your pancakes?

Dessert Breakfast

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 kaszeta

kaszeta
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Being in Northern New England, real maple syrup is pretty much required.

More specifically, I usually do grade B, with an extra sprinkle of maple sugar.

#32 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

Interesting how everyone here seems to use grade B maple syrup on their pancakes. I was always under the impression that grade A was intended for condiment usage, while grade B was for use as an ingredient, so the maple flavour would come through stronger.

That said, I use Canada No. 2 ("Amber") maple syrup on most things, and Canada No. 3 ("Dark") for some baked goods. So I'm no different from the rest of you! What is the Light and Extra Light stuff good for, anyway?
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#33 kaszeta

kaszeta
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

I like the Grade A stuff as well, but generally prefer the stronger flavor of Grade B. And actually, my favorite stuff at the moment is "ungraded" stuff from early this season: it was too dark to be classified Grade B, but unlike the Grade C end of season stuff, it was actually good. (I own maple trees, that's where much of my syrup comes from, although my neighbor is the one with the sap boiler)

I should also specify that I really prefer Northeast US maple over most of the Canadian stuff, not for regional snobbery, but due to the US stuff being thicker (higher specific gravity). Most of the easily available Canadian stuff is watery. I like my syrup, well, syrupy.

Edited by kaszeta, 29 June 2011 - 06:31 AM.

#34 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

Interesting how everyone here seems to use grade B maple syrup on their pancakes. I was always under the impression that grade A was intended for condiment usage, while grade B was for use as an ingredient, so the maple flavour would come through stronger.

That said, I use Canada No. 2 ("Amber") maple syrup on most things, and Canada No. 3 ("Dark") for some baked goods. So I'm no different from the rest of you! What is the Light and Extra Light stuff good for, anyway?

Quite likely you're right that "grade A was intended for condiment usage, while grade B was for use as an ingredient." I know a great many folks that I'll refer to as "non-foodies" (for want of a better word) that prefer the more refined, less-intense maple flavor.

But for me, I want it as "maplely" as I can get it. I love maple and, just in general, prefer strong flavors. At first, I also was somewhat surprised to see that just about everybody here prefers B over A, like I do. But when I think about it, it does seem logical for eG'ers to make that choice.

#35 angevin

angevin
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Gobs of butter, a generous slather of strawberry jam and lots of real maple syrup. I rarely eat pancakes, but when I have the rare craving, I like lotsa SWEET.

For crepes, I do it up similar to Christine: a ladle of melted butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and sugar.

#36 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Butter and pure maple syrup, which is so nice with the bacon, sausage, or ham. But when I was little I often had jam, or sugar, or all three.

#37 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

I know some folks that put chocolate syrup on their pancakes and waffles. And a big dollop of whipped cream.

Not for me. Despite the fact that I love chocolate, that doesn't even sound good. But my friend says that it actually tastes a lot like a chocolate-filled doughnut. Course I don't like those much either. So I guess there's something for everyone.

Edited by Jaymes, 29 June 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#38 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Daughter had a friend over to spend the night. I fixed pancakes for breakfast. The guest
piled up several pancakes in a bowl after sprinkling sugar on each of them. She than
poured milk over them and ate them as if they were cereal. She said that's the way her
family has always eaten them.

#39 Susie Q

Susie Q
  • participating member
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

Regular pancakes: butter and real maple syrup, or butter and sprinkled brown sugar.

Thin or eggy pancakes: butter, powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.

#40 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

homemade strawberry/Gran Marnier sauce, or lots of butter w powdered sugar

dutchbabies - lemon and powdered sugar

I make the same sauce w Three Red Fruit preserves, it's so easy and delish!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert, Breakfast