Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
556 replies to this topic

#541 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

A bottle of Lillet White, a large bottle of Veseca triple-distilled potato vodka and a bottle of Absente "Absinthe Refined". They told me that the absinthe had only been available for two weeks and I was the first to buy it. Hehe I'll give it a shot tonight without the louche even though the bottle came with a spoon...

#542 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

3 new malts, bringing my modest collection up to 8, and some new and resupplied rum, making my collection even more unwieldy (approaching 2 dozen now, I think). The best part of all of this is the baller Wray and Nephew 50th anniversary of Jamaican independence fridge magnet!

Posted Image

#543 elix

elix
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Tonight I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare. I'd never had it, but had heard good things. It's ok. It almost reminds me of cognac/armagnac. I joked with my wife that ER is corgnac. Anyway, it's ok, but I don't like it as much as Elijah Craig 12 year, which is my go to bourbon (although I'm no expert). At the company party on Friday, and tried the Elijah Craig 20 year on the boss's dime...Not bad! But honestly, I think the 12 year is pretty close for a way friendlier price.

I also picked up Wild Turkey 101 the other day. A hell of a drink for $20!

#544 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

I second the Eagle Rare. It's decent, and usually on sale at $20, so that's OK, but it's nothing special. Then again, not a huge bourbon guy anyway. Give me my scotch! (or rye, or indeed, rum!)

#545 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I enjoy the Eagle Rare and I believe it to be an excellent value for the price.

#546 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

My default scotch is J&B. I can run through quite a bit of it, good for simple glugging without too much thought, decent stuff. I'll probably need another bottle tomorrow or thereabouts.

#547 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Two quick stops Christmas shopping for myself an others. At the first I picked up some Lillet and Four Roses Bourbon. Then I went to a store I had found has much cheaper prices for certain things, and was finally able to restock my Campari, and pick up some Aperol and Hayman's Old Tom Gin for the first time. Man, my paychecks disappear quickly at liquor stores!

#548 richl2214

richl2214
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

1) Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr Bourbon
2) 12yr old Yamazaki Single Malt
3) WhistlePig Straight Rye
4) not at the store but a friend of mine dropped me off a 12pk case of Russian River Brewery Damnation!
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

#549 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

1) A big bottle of J&B.
2) Glenlivet 12-year old scotch.
2) Blandy's Rainwater Madeira.

#550 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

a gift so not bought at the store. Forty Creek Copper pot Reserve Whisky.. very nice drop.

I couldn't resist a picture of my Forty Love

Posted Image
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#551 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Ashen, I think the Copper Pot reserve is brilliant stuff. I recently had back-to-back Manhattans with the Barrel Select and Copper Pot, and the Copper Pot was far and away the winner. This will be my next Canadian whisky purchase... right after I snag a bottle of Lot 40.

Yesterday, though, I was flying through Hong Kong on my way home from Hanoi, and picked up a litre bottle of Ardbeg 10-year. Worked out to about half the price it sells for at home, pro-rated for volume.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#552 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

right after I snag a bottle of Lot 40.

The Forty Creek Copper Pot hasn't made it this way yet, I'm kinda watching for it but really hoping the Port Wood makes it. I'm also keeping one eye on the Lot 40 to see if it makes it to this end of the province.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#553 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

The Forty Creek Copper Pot hasn't made it this way yet, I'm kinda watching for it but really hoping the Port Wood makes it. I'm also keeping one eye on the Lot 40 to see if it makes it to this end of the province.

What is with your LCBO - it's in every single store here!

#554 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

You need to drink more to build up the demand. :raz:
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#555 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

What is with your LCBO - it's in every single store here!

Two guys that've been working there forever and think they're the final word on what people will or won't buy. They stock the Barrel Select and Double Barrel Reserve so it's not impossible that others will show up... but the Confederation Oak and John's Private Cask never did. It's really not a big deal if they don't show up but I might check them out if they do. Especially the Port Wood. Actually, it's not always the local guys to blame though. Some things just never make it to this end at all, even in the bigger towns.

Edited by Tri2Cook, 27 December 2012 - 05:28 PM.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#556 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Batavia Arrack and Banks 5 Island Rum. Imports. Delicious, delicious imports. Well, the Banks is. I haven't tried the Arrack yet.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#557 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Om nom nom...

8322883265_167d167d8d_c.jpg

Moderator note: This topic continues in What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory