Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Depends. Are you shaking your martinis?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#32 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Only the ones for my enemies.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#33 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Champagne for my Real Friends, Shaken Vodka Martinis for my Sham Friends

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#34 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

I have a crummy old glass-and-metal Libbey set from Target. Has recipes for your parents' favorite cocktails (Tom Collins, Martini, Daiquiri, and uh Bacardi) on the sides. Looks like this, works just fine. Do I have to turn in my eGullet cred card now? 

Oh, so that's where you get all of your recipes from...

• judiu likes this

#35 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

I've been found out. Time to go into hiding.
  • judiu likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#36 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

^^ Kicking myself for not writing "The jigger's up."

Shaker story: When I was competing in the regional final of the Auchentoshan Switch at Clover Club, I was so embarrassed to be seen shaking my Baby's First Boston Shaker by Julie Reiner that I breached cocktail contest decorum and stealthily asked the Clover Club barbacks if I could borrow one of their shakers. I lost. The moral is, invest in a real pro shaker. 

• judiu likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#37 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Purchase on hold.  I think I'll be using a quart jar (after dark, in the privacy of my own home) till I figure out what I am doing.

• judiu likes this

#38 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

I have a crummy old glass-and-metal Libbey set from Target. Has recipes for your parents' favorite cocktails (Tom Collins, Martini, Daiquiri, and uh Bacardi) on the sides. Looks like this, works just fine. Do I have to turn in my eGullet cred card now?

Oh, so that's where you get all of your recipes from...

He uses this:
IMG_3326.jpg

• judiu and Rafa like this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#39 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I just received a set of the Koriko tins, and they're solid as hell, but they're also smaller than I expected. Can those who have them comment upon their utility in shaking two drinks at once (something I do quite often)?

#40 scamhi

scamhi
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

how small is the Koriko tins?

#41 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Koriko tins are the usual size for metal tin sets, the large is 28oz and the smaller 18oz.

You can definitely shake two modest size drinks in them, if you need to.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#42 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

I just received a set of the Koriko tins, and they're solid as hell, but they're also smaller than I expected. Can those who have them comment upon their utility in shaking two drinks at once (something I do quite often)?

I use mine regularly to shake 2 cocktails (6 oz total of ingredients). I really like the way they feel, they are really well made. I have cheapo imitations but they don't even come close. Even though they weight about the same, the weight is not distributed in the same manner (the korikos have a heavy base and thefore are more stable), and the seal is not as good.

[As Erik just wrote] The Koriko tins are 28 & 18 oz. I don't find them small, but based on your previous questions about shaking issues we already established that you must have huge arms & hands!

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 29 October 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#43 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

I use mine regularly to shake 2 cocktails (6 oz total of ingredients). I really like the way they feel, they are really well made. I have cheapo imitations but they don't even come close. Even though they weight about the same, the weight is not distributed in the same manner (the korikos have a heavy base and thefore are more stable), and the seal is not as good.

[As Erik just wrote] The Koriko tins are 28 & 18 oz. I don't find them small, but based on your previous questions about shaking issues we already established that you must have huge arms & hands!

Cool, good to know about 2 cocktails.

I got some coupes, by the way, and did some more measuring, and found even with ice maker ice, 3.25 comes out to a bit over 4 oz, which sits nicely in the coupe with no spillage from simply handling the glass (unlike the martini glasses).

#44 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I got some coupes, by the way, and did some more measuring, and found even with ice maker ice, 3.25 comes out to a bit over 4 oz, which sits nicely in the coupe with no spillage from simply handling the glass (unlike the martini glasses).

So the spillage had more to do with the shape than the size of the glasses then (as you suspected). Which glasses did you end up buying?

#45 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

These: http://www.fishseddy...cfm/4,2071.html

What I got is holistically smaller than I expected (still 5.5 oz though), and has the chunkier-than-pictured look of the Libbey coupes, and in fact, the linked product may in fact be the 5.5 oz Libbey Embassy coupe. CK's Leopold coupes look more elegant, but are significantly more expensive, both from a unit and shipping perspective. 

And yeah, it was definitely the shape. Even close to the rim, the curved over lip of the coupe keeps the drink inside the glass.

#46 turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

These: http://www.fishseddy...cfm/4,2071.html

What I got is holistically smaller than I expected (still 5.5 oz though), and has the chunkier-than-pictured look of the Libbey coupes, and in fact, the linked product may in fact be the 5.5 oz Libbey Embassy coupe. CK's Leopold coupes look more elegant, but are significantly more expensive, both from a unit and shipping perspective. 

And yeah, it was definitely the shape. Even close to the rim, the curved over lip of the coupe keeps the drink inside the glass.

Sidecar carafes are also a huge, huge spill prevention measure. I bought a whole bunch of them at  restaurant supply store and it's a gift that keeps on giving.

#47 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

I thought to order an Usagi shaker from Cocktail Kingdom, however the page says "Coming Soon".  I guess that translates to out of stock.

http://www.cocktailk...xh_0000_stl.htm

#48 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Has anybody ordered from Golden Age Bartending?
They have a large selection of shakers at quite good prices, although I have no hands on experience with the cheaper ones.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#49 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Has anybody ordered from Golden Age Bartending?
They have a large selection of shakers at quite good prices, although I have no hands on experience with the cheaper ones.

They seem to have slightly higher prices than Cocktail Kingdom, and no Usagi.  Can anyone say how Usagi compares with the Yukiwa Baron?  I hadn't intended to spend close to $100 on a shaker but I have done stranger things.

#50 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

The Yukiwa are around the same price, but they have a series of cheaper shakers.

At work I have 500ml AG (similar size and shape to the Usagi) and the 500ml Baron Yukiwa in gangster bling gold, of course.
We all favour the Baron for its narrow shoulders and they seal and separate much more easily. I have small hands, so slimmer design is better for me.
They also hold their gold colour better, with the AG fading.

At home I use the silver and gold band Baron and 360ml AG. The latter is great for single drinks like daiquiris, especially with frozen ice. I think it's too small for bar use.
I have left my Koriko tins at work and we use them for drinks with leaf sediment, egg whites and two drink shakes.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#51 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

And just because I'm a proud man and not so secretly like getting papped, here a shot of me smashing out a drink in a Baron Shaker.

12632781_O7eXOQkkdgzcex5aRudHxFidcA12l_O

What are you shaking in now?

Edited by Adam George, 11 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#52 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I also note Golden Age is in China while Cocktail Kingdom is about forty or fifty miles from me.  In between there don't seem to be many suppliers of Japanese shakers that I can find.

And the Yukiwa is also out of stock at Cocktail Kingdom...

#53 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#54 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

This.

#55 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Cool. I only ever manage two shakers at once.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#56 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Cool. I only ever manage two shakers at once.

Well, usually one at a time.

Golden age has this in stock:

http://goldenagebart...862&id=15473191

I don't see it anywhere else.  Anyone know of a US source?

#57 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

You could give cocktail kingdom a ring and see what they have in stock.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#58 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Though to be honest, other than the fact they look pimp as fuck, is there any reason you need such an item? Glass is a better insulator than stainless and if there is any chance you will mix more than one drink an once, the ridiculously cheap (comparatively) Koriko tins are a much better buy

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#59 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Though to be honest, other than the fact they look pimp as fuck, is there any reason you need such an item? Glass is a better insulator than stainless and if there is any chance you will mix more than one drink an once, the ridiculously cheap (comparatively) Koriko tins are a much better buy

Don't the Koriko tins take more technique? Agility is not my strong point. Also, wouldn't one then need to go out and find a proper strainer?

Edit:  Can any one tell me the difference between the Yukiwa Baron and the Yuukiwa Deluxe, other than a slight variation in shape and cost?  They are both 500 ml.

Chubo sells shakers that are sent from Japan:

http://www.chubokniv...henware/Barware

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 11 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#60 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Don't the Koriko tins take more technique? No. Agility is not my strong point. It's OK, no agility needed. Also, wouldn't one then need to go out and find a proper strainer? Yes, but those are cheap and you should have one anyway.