Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sommaq, Sumac, Sumak

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#31 nessa

nessa
  • participating member
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Question about dried sumac: When mixed with yogurt, will it cause the yogurt to become oh say, vivid pepto-bismol pink?
Did I use too much? Let it sit too long so that the color leached out? Or did my supplier sell me sumac with some kind of dye?
How can I avoid this? Do I need to simply add the sumac later so that there's no time for the red to bleed?
I was marinating some chicken in a yogurt/sumac marinade and my chicken turned this hideous pink. Tasted fine but......
Any insight, suggestions or laughter?

#32 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:05 AM

Sumac berries are red--sumac-ade is pink.

I have never cooked with the berries, but I can see that they might make your chicken pink.
sparrowgrass

#33 nessa

nessa
  • participating member
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:22 AM

Oh goodness, Sumac-ade that sound deeeeeeeelish!
I'm going to have to try that!

#34 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:24 AM

I have used the berries in cooking and they haven't resulted in any strange colours. Either it is s difference in the type of sumac or prepartion or the addition of dye in your lot, but why would you add dye?

#35 balmagowry

balmagowry
  • legacy participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:58 AM

Thread convergence! In American Indian tradition (sorry, don't know which tribes), sumac is called squaw bush and has all sorts of medicinal properties, as discussed in this thread....

#36 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:07 AM

Squaw berries are sumac? Oh, that explains a lot.

Here is a recipe for Sumac wine.

Sumac wine

#37 nessa

nessa
  • participating member
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:19 AM

I have used the berries in cooking and they haven't resulted in any strange colours. Either it is s difference in the type of sumac or prepartion or the addition of dye in your lot, but why would you add dye?

I don't know why they would add dye unless they were trying to disguise something that wasnt sumac or that they didnt think was red enough. I don't see that as being likely, its not like sumac is hard to come by etc. I'm thinking this might just be a case of unexpected yet legit results? I put a heaping tablespoon of dried crushed sumac berries into one cup of yogurt and marinated chicken for about 10 hours in it. I can see how color from the berries would leach out, but this was like a magenta/pink/weird. I KNEW I should have taken a picture.
Maybe it just looked weird because it was mixing with the white yogurt.
I think next time I'll just do a sumac rub and forgo the yogurt.

#38 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:26 AM

I can see how color from the berries would leach out, but this was like a magenta/pink/weird.

Nessa - I think that you need to get some professional advise, this magenta/pink/weirdness is obviously spreading. Run, run for you life!

#39 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

Yes...I use it in tahini and hoummus, I know it is good in falafal. But, other than that, how do you use this wonderful seasoning?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#40 ChefCrash

ChefCrash
  • participating member
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Hi Naftal

Zaatar is 1 part Thyme, 1 part sesame and a 1/4 part Sumac and salt to taste.

Sumac is used instead of lemon juice in Fattoush.

#41 Alisond

Alisond
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

My grandma makes sumac lemonaid. It's a very good beverage.

#42 BonVivant

BonVivant
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

also works as a tenderiser. add some to a lamb marinade. try it on fish as well but don't leave it in too long.

#43 Shaya

Shaya
  • participating member
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

Persian chelo kabob.

#44 SeaGal

SeaGal
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

I like to sprinkle it on pork chops, lamb and fish before grilling or broiling. I make oven fries with olive oil, garlic, S & P and sumac sprinkled on before roasting in a hot oven. It's also good on salads that have tomatoes, parsley and/or feta cheese in them.
Jan
Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#45 boaziko

boaziko
  • participating member
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

On slices of (white) raw onion rings.

I use it a lot in salads and grilled meat skewers. (chicken and lamb)
"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

#46 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

I add it to my lahama jeen (sp ?) for a little tartness

#47 RetroDiner

RetroDiner
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

Simplest possible use - sprinkle it on plain white rice when serving. Adds color, flavor, aroma. You'll actually see shakers of sumak on the table at some middle-eastern restaurants.
-Dan

#48 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi Naftal

View Post

I have always wnted to know the rilght way tomake zaattar, thanks!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#49 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

On slices of (white)  raw onion rings.

I use it a lot in salads and grilled meat skewers. (chicken and lamb)

View Post

I love the onion idea, what kinds of salads do you make?

#50 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

My grandma makes sumac lemonaid. It's a very good beverage.

View Post

Does this contain lemon juice? :huh:

#51 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

Simplest possible use - sprinkle it on plain white rice when serving.  Adds color, flavor, aroma.  You'll actually see shakers of sumak on the table at some middle-eastern restaurants.
-Dan

View Post

Terrific :biggrin: !

#52 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

also works as a tenderiser.  add some to a lamb marinade.  try it on fish as well but don't leave it in too long.

View Post

Brillint :smile:

#53 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

Persian chelo kabob.

View Post

Can you tell me how thisis made? :huh:

#54 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

I add it to my lahama jeen (sp ?) for a little tartness

View Post

I plan to try this :biggrin:

Edited by Naftal, 07 May 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#55 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

:sad: Any other ideas on waysto use this wonderful :wub: spice?

#56 melkor

melkor
  • legacy participant
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi Naftal

View Post

I have always wnted to know the rilght way tomake zaattar, thanks!

View Post

Zaatar is a plant (Majorana syriaca) - traditionally the leaves are used as a seasoning. There are countless blends of spices that people use for a similar taste, but the right way to make zaatar is to use zaatar leaves.

#57 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

I know that there are people who use sumac( my favorite middle-eastern seasoning) to make lemonade. How do you do it? Do you use lemon juiceand sumac or just sumac? Enlighten me :blink:

Edited by Naftal, 18 May 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#58 dondford

dondford
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

Sumac lemonade is made from the red berry clusters found on live Sumac bushes. Pull the entire clusters off, wash as little as possible (the more you wash them, or if picked after a rain the weaker the tea will be). Seep in water and sweeten to taste.
Good luck.

Don

#59 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Zaatar is a plant (Majorana syriaca) - traditionally the leaves are used as a seasoning.  There are countless blends of spices that people use for a similar taste, but the right way to make zaatar is to use zaatar leaves.

View Post

Right. But none of the blends I sell (or have seen) actually use zaatar leaves.

I don't have any real recipes that use sumac, but occasionally I'll use it when I make chicken kebabs. Just mix ground chicken with sumac, a little cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, grated red onion - onto sticks and chill. Grill and serve with fresh pita.

#60 melkor

melkor
  • legacy participant
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

Zaatar is a plant (Majorana syriaca) - traditionally the leaves are used as a seasoning.  There are countless blends of spices that people use for a similar taste, but the right way to make zaatar is to use zaatar leaves.

View Post

Right. But none of the blends I sell (or have seen) actually use zaatar leaves.

I don't have any real recipes that use sumac, but occasionally I'll use it when I make chicken kebabs. Just mix ground chicken with sumac, a little cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, grated red onion - onto sticks and chill. Grill and serve with fresh pita.

View Post

You can find real zaatar in shops in the middle east, or you can grow your own. I've ordered seeds a few times but the orders always get screwed up. The zaatar I've got from Israel (made with zaatar) tastes quite different from the zaatar blend stuff I buy at the local middle-eastern market.