Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Fruitcake Topic

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#361 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

I linked our fruitcake topics earlier but the black fruit cake as discussed here is the one I used to make and really enjoy http://forums.egulle...christmas-cake/

Thanks for linking that, Heidi.  The recipe itself is published here.

I don't fancy my chances of finding Concord wine in this neck of the woods, but I guess any not-too-dry red wine might do the job.  And presumably one could get a black, as opposed to brown, cake with food colouring in the absence of the burnt West Indian stuff.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#362 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

(IMO, this recipe is a lot closer to being a cookie than a cake in texture)

Speaking of fruitcake cookies, here's a link to my recipe, which I have been making for many years, always with great success.
http://forums.egulle...269#entry160269
  • janeer likes this

#363 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for linking that, Heidi.  The recipe itself is published here.

I don't fancy my chances of finding Concord wine in this neck of the woods, but I guess any not-too-dry red wine might do the job.  And presumably one could get a black, as opposed to brown, cake with food colouring in the absence of the burnt West Indian stuff.

No - I did not mean to specify Laurie Colwin's recipe. You made me hunt down my recipe card (giant bump on the head now with ice-pack after crawling into the attic)

Grandmother's Fruitcake (from Panama)

In an attempt to reconstruct this cake from other people's memories I used the wedding cake batter from page 699 of the Culinary Arts Institute cookbook - no clue what version as book has disappeared

Soak fruits up to 2 months ahead: (all fruits candied)

1/2 lb. citron, 1/2 lb. orange peel, 1/2 lb. lemon peel, small jar maraschino cherries (!), 1/2 lb. currants, 1/2 lb. raisins covered in  mix of sweet port & rum. A week before use add a jar of mincemeat

Batter: You will use about half of the fruits

Cream 1 cup butter w/ 1/2 lb brown sugar and beat in a cup of dark honey and 6 eggs. Add aprox 3/4 tsp each ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice. Then 1 tsp each vanilla, rose water, and lemon extract.  Sift 2 cups cake flour w/ 1 tsp baking powder.

Add the fruit and pour into greased and floured pans.. 

Bake at 275 degrees about 3 to 3 and a half hours. When cool baste with the booze mixture from the fruit and wrap tightly in cling film. Continue to baste over time. 

Best enjoyed in very thin slices with strong black tea.

#364 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Ow!  Sorry about your head ...

That sounds good too.  Why only half the fruit?  Or is one intended to double up the batter and make two?   This concept fails to distress me  :cool: 

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#365 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

Leslie I don't remember - that is what I wrote in the 80's!  I think I was experimenting and wrote down my first successful attempt. Probably repeated with the balance of the fruit. I was worried about the proportion of batter as I was playing with the recipe and recall being shocked at the success of attempt #1 as was the beneficiary whose taste memory I was chasing.

#366 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

There's also my Aunt Rosalind's recipe, which was discussed over at The Nova Scotia Traditional Foods Thread.  And up a couple of posts is another winner.  Aunt Rosalind's cakes are wonderful - I made the first ones for this Christmas in August.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#367 JohnT

JohnT
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

There's also my Aunt Rosalind's recipe, which was discussed over at The Nova Scotia Traditional Foods Thread.  And up a couple of posts is another winner.  Aunt Rosalind's cakes are wonderful - I made the first ones for this Christmas in August.

The recipe you refer to has an oven temperature of 275°F (135°C). Is this for a standard oven? I use a bakers convection oven where I normally subtract around 20°C from a standard recipe temperature and was wondering if your recipe already had the compensation built in? I am also at sea level. John.
Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert