Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Restaurants in Alsace and Lorraine

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

As I live in Lorraine near to the border with Alsace, I thought I'd start a new thread on some restaurants on the area which is not otherwise very well represented in this forum.

We are a small group of English retired professionals. We have been eating out together regularly at restaurants ranging from lorry driver halts to starred restaurants for several years. I'll share some of them with you as we visit the both old favourites and new finds in the future months. We usually dine out at lunchtime given the travelling distances (and the winter weather if going over the Vosges).

---------------------

Last week we were at a one of our reliable favourites, the Auberge Frankenbourg, 13, rue du Général-de-Gaulle, 67730, la Vancelle (Michelin one star/GM 15). The Frankenbourg isn't difficult to find as there are only two restaurants in la Vancelle, a small village in the Vosges mountains foothills and to the west of Selestat.

The restaurant is in a family run hotel and the greeting on entering the traditionally styled dining room is always warm - not that the presentation of the food is Alsace traditional. It is wise to book at lunchtime as the Frankenbourg as it has a lot of business trade on weekday (although they can usually accommodate a one or two couples who just turn up); the exception is Saturday lunchtime when they are often very quiet.

The menus are changed weekly/fortnightly and range from a simple basic 12€ set lunchtime menu for those in a hurry through to le Decouverte at 60€. We often choose the 28€ Tradition d'Alsace set menu or the Tentation (33€) which has two choices for each course and includes a glass of wine with starter and main course. There is a reasonable selection of French wines, including a good Alsace list with prices starting at about 22€/bottle; there is a limited selection of wines by the glass. Given the driving distance, we usually dine at lunchtime.

We've got to know the staff well over the years. Madam has provided useful information to friends who have collected fungi in autumn and wondered about their edibility.

Last week we all chose the set Gourmet 44€ and, as usual, had an enjoyable meal with some interesting taste surprises in friendly surroundings.

Posted Image
Amuse bouche - tomato soup jelly with herb cream + fois gras + guacamole + gamba
Posted Image
starter - Fois de canard poché à la vanille et vin de Maury, confit de poire ivre de vin
Posted Image
fish course - Tartare de thon à la coriandre, salade d’herbes et pousses en vinaigrette acidulée
Posted Image
main course -Coeur de filet de boeuf, béarnaise, pommes pont neuf, pointes d’asperges au parmesan
cheese course - Comté, confiture de tomate verte
Posted Image
predessert - mousse de fraises
Posted Image
dessert - Pana cotta à la rhubarbe, madeleine tiède
or raspberry and pistachio mille feuille and pistachio ice cream (for someone who doesn't like rhubarb!)
Posted Image
Posted Image
apres-dessert
and chocolate with coffee!

#2 John Talbott

John Talbott
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

I know you know, but for those searching, we do have a compendium on the Alsace area.
John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

#3 John Whiting

John Whiting
  • participating member
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

For fifteen years or so we've been making special journeys to Longuyon to eat at M. Tisserant's splendid Restaurant La Mas in his Hotel de Lorraine. He was serving inventive tasting menus on demand that changed daily back when they were usually just an excuse for bringing out the same old expensive ingredients served up in the same old ways.

Every couple of months or so he has week-end soirées with two nights of music and tasting menus, two nights hotel accommodation, and two breakfasts, all for an inclusive 208€ per person (single supplement 20€ per night).

Hotel de Lorraine, place de la Gare, 54260 Longuyon, Tel 03 82 26 50 07, email mas.lorraine@wanadoo.fr
John Whiting, London
Whitings Writings
Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

#4 Felice

Felice
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

As I live in Lorraine near to the border with Alsace, I thought I'd start a new thread on some restaurants on the area which is not otherwise very well represented in this forum.

We are a small group of English retired professionals. We have been eating out together regularly at restaurants ranging from lorry driver halts to starred restaurants for several years. I'll share some of them with you as we visit the both old favourites and new finds in the future months. We usually dine out at lunchtime given the travelling distances (and the winter weather if going over the Vosges).

---------------------

Last week we were at a one of our reliable favourites, the Auberge Frankenbourg, 13, rue du Général-de-Gaulle, 67730, la Vancelle (Michelin one star/GM 15).

View Post

Merci beaucoup Milkman for starting this thread. L'Auberge Frankenbourg looks wonderful. I look forward to more.
www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

#5 Laidback

Laidback
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

milkman,
Thanks for what I hope is only the beginning of a nice series with beautiful pictures of an area (Lorraine) which I have very little experience...yet.

#6 Carlsbad

Carlsbad
  • participating member
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

Great review. It's on my list for the future. Thanks.

#7 Felice

Felice
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:53 AM

It will now be a lot easier to visit Alsace from Paris because starting June 10 there will be a TGV train connecting Paris to Strasbourg in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

#8 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

La Table du Gourmet, 5 rue de la 1 ere Armee, 68340 Riquewihr (Michelin 1 star; GaultMillau 16/20) is within an old house which has been decorated in a modern style. For anyone over about 5 foot 6 inches (170cm) in height the beams are something to remember (an English pub with similar low beams would undoubtedly have a notice saying duck or grouse!)
Posted Image

Again a lunchtime visit (the Friday before a public holiday weekend) and, as with our previous winter/spring lunchtime visits, less that half a dozen customers. Riquewihr is a town with many tourists (the car parks were full at lunchtime this day) and they must prefer eating in the evening!

I find myself at odds with my companions over the food this restaurant. No hors d'oeuvres with the aperitifs, no amuses bouches, etc.; most of the courses we have had have just required assembly with little or only simple cooking. My companions have always found the food to be enjoyable but I've found it is somewhat lacking in agreeable tasty surprises.

MENU " ALSACE " son Terroir renouvelé (39€)
Tartelette Flambée en Mise en Bouche
Posted Image

Dégustation de
- Bâton de Foie gras de Canard sur Asperge du Pauvre, Aigre-doux au Gewurztraminer
- Presskopf comme la Grand-Mère, Bouton de Fleur de Pissenlit
- Omble chevalier du Val d’Orbey, un peu Fumé, Feuilles et Fleurs, Crème Battue à la Livèche
Posted Image

Volaille fermière d’Alsace aux Feuilles Aromatiques, Bouillon Moussé au Gewurztraminer
Posted Image

Vacherin glacé au lait Citron et sorbet Fruits rouges Confits à l’eau de Vie
Posted Image

Menu of the Day (28€)
Vegetable tempura
Posted Image

Cod with vegetables in an oriental soup
Posted Image

Caramelised banana, chocolate in filo, cassis sorbet
Posted Image

#9 winemike

winemike
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the update on "La Table du Gourmet".
Whatever the food is (the one time I have been a few years ago, it was alright...), the service was so BAD that I'll never go there again. I can't even start to describe it... we did not get insulted, which was about the only positive thing...
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"
Francis Blanche

#10 sharonb

sharonb
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

- Bâton de Foie gras de Canard sur Asperge du Pauvre, Aigre-doux au Gewurztraminer

Just out of curiosity... what is the poor man's asparagus?

#11 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:57 AM

Just out of curiosity... what is the poor man's asparagus?

View Post

Poireau = Leek see http://wittylink.com/547504

#12 sharonb

sharonb
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thanks - sometimes I'm too literalist! I figured it was probably leeks but then thought "Salsify is more like asparagus in firmness and shape" etc...

How did the leek pair with the foie gras?

#13 kai-m

kai-m
  • participating member
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for those very interesting and detailed picture reports!!

Iam surprised about your Table de Gourmet review, since I only read real positive things about it (I even thought about skipping JG Klein for it, once...obviously it was a wise decision not to do so...).

Looking forward to your coming reports!!

best

kai

#14 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

The Auberge Blanche Neige 692 Les Eveaux, 68910 Labaroche (GaultMillau 15) is probably our favourite restaurant judging by the very regular visits we make and our continuing appreciation of the tastes we encounter! The head chef, Mike Germershausen, is one of the GaultMillau Jeune Talents for 2007. He likes to introduce Asian flavours into his cuisine and we certainly appreciate his light cooking style with often challenging flavours.

The Auberge Blanche Neige is not that easy to find and is well away from the Alsace tourist trail. We believe it is very much under-rated (not that we want it so well patronised we cannot get a table whenever we want one!!). The Auberge is in Les Eveaux, a commune some way from the centre of the village of Labaroche but well signposted off the Labaroche-Les Trois Epis (D11) road. It is situated at over 700m so the terrace has good views of the Vosges and Alsace plain but winter snow can make access difficult.

The restaurant, which has only been open for a few years, is in an old colonie de vacances which has been restyled in a modern manner by the architects who have also worked for Auberge de l'Ill and Paul Bocuse à Collonges. The whole team is young, enthusiastic, and welcoming.
Posted Image

Aperitifs (beetroot and tomato-olive butters)
Posted Image

Menu Découverte (39€)
Amuse bouche: watermelon soup and crevette
Posted Image

Le Cappuccino de Crustacés, Cannellonis de Langoustines et Viande de Grison or
L’œuf Poché à la Mayonnaise de Truffe Noir et ses Asperges Poêlées
Posted Image

Le Filet de Truite du Val d’Orbey, Ragoût de Fenouil à la Crème et ses Pralins croustillants de Riz
Posted Image

predessert: peach couli and tonka bean cream
Posted Image

La Soupe de Rhubarbe à la Vanille, Chips de Poivre Vert et Parfait glacé Yaourt Cardamome
Posted Image

coffee with petits fours of apple tarts, chocolate ice creams, and pear eau de vie truffles
Posted Image

Edited by milkman, 04 June 2007 - 12:59 AM.

#15 TarteTatin

TarteTatin
  • participating member
  • 855 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

Wow. Gorgeous.
Philly Francophiles

#16 grace3

grace3
  • participating member
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

[quote name='milkman' date='Jun 3 2007, 11:57 PM']
The Auberge Blanche Neige 692 Les Eveaux, 68910 Labaroche (GaultMillau 15) is probably our favourite restaurant judging by the very regular visits we make and our continuing appreciation of the tastes we encounter! The head chef, Mike Germershausen, is one of the GaultMillau Jeune Talents for 2007. He likes to introduce Asian flavours into his cuisine and we certainly appreciate his light cooking style with often challenging flavours.

The Auberge Blanche Neige is not that easy to find and is well away from the Alsace tourist trail. We believe it is very much under-rated (not that we want it so well patronised we cannot get a table whenever we want one!!). The Auberge is in Les Eveaux, a commune some way from the centre of the village of Labaroche but well signposted off the Labaroche-Les Trois Epis (D11) road. It is situated at over 700m so the terrace has good views of the Vosges and Alsace plain but winter snow can make access difficult.

The restaurant, which has only been open for a few years, is in an old colonie de vacances which has been restyled in a modern manner by the architects who have also worked for Auberge de l'Ill and Paul Bocuse à Collonges. The whole team is young, enthusiastic, and welcoming.

I forwarded your post to some French friends who have a lovely place NE of Paris.They also have some beautiful rentals in Riquewhir. I thought I was sending something new to them. I received a message that they had not been to the restaurant, but did know of it. They love the area and are actually looking for a mountain chalet for themselves in the area! I am sure I will hear more.....

#17 cigalechanta

cigalechanta
  • participating member
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Th food looks more like still lifes, rather than tasty dishes. I guess I'm the only one who appricites the old time ambiance of Auberge DE 'ILL

Edited by cigalechanta, 05 June 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

#18 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:46 AM

Our recent visit to Au Vieux Couvent, 6, rue des Chanoines, 67860 Rhinau (Michelin one star, GM 15) made us all wonder whether we were wrong about the food, whether we just went on an off day (father Jean Albrecht was chef for lunch rather than the son Alexis), or whether the guide evaluations are just inconsistent? Not that there was anything particularly wrong with the food as such. However, taste-wise we all thought it was just bland and uninteresting and the presentation unexciting. Perhaps what we were served might once have been considered enough for the ratings but, given the number of other restaurants offering much tastier, better presented menus for a similar cost, we found this restaurant very disappointing and one we are unlikely to revisit.

Menu Gourmand (35€)
Amuse buche
Hemerocallis lily stuffed with hummous and sesame seeds and with asparagus jelly in a parmesan sauce (the parmesan was the over-riding flavour and not even a hint of asparagus)
Starters
-Carpaccio de boeuf, sauce au safran, schum de citron (was there any saffron in the sauce?)
-Le Ravioli de pomme de terre au pesto et voile de pancetta
-Fine tranches de veau au thon, valses d'herbes et fleurs sauvages (the sauce drowned the flowers)
Posted Image

Main course
-la lasagne comme la fait la Nonna comme à Novara (no better than can be bought frozen)
-Risotto <<Violane Nano>> primavera (too much cheese)
-filet de cannette en croûte de jambon de San Daniel, polenta moelleuse à la mascarpone, tomates cerises sautées aux amandes (safe and unremarkable flavours)
Le dessert du jour
Italian grape sorbet in hazelnut biscuits with vanilla ice cream and with fresh fruits
Posted Image

#19 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:54 AM

Epinal is now connected to Paris by a TGV so the train service is now somewhat quicker.

Les Ducs de Lorraine 5, rue de Provence, 88000 Épinal (one Michelin star, 16/20 in GaultMillau) has not been on our list of places to visit; for a long time the web site was inaccessible and, when we've passed by, the menu outside was in a rather sad uninviting state.

But, when we did visit, it turned out to be a pleasure to park on the tree-lined river bank and walk through the ornamental railings towards an elegant mansion from the belle époque. We swept up the stone staircase and into a dark panelled hallway, off which opened a large airy room, with lemon coloured walls, long windows and dripping chandeliers. Its tables were crisp with linen cloths and bristling with cutlery and glasses. A traditional French restaurant, complete with waiters in waistcoats and striped trousers. Badly done, these stage-effects can be off-putting and snobbish, but there was a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. It was a warm day and our fellow diners were already ensconced outside under the awning of the more informal terrace.

We chose the 32€ menu which has four choices for each of the starter and main courses and a dessert trolley.

Amuse bouche - cream cheese mousse with a tomato and basil couli (our only regret was some other diners were given a flaming brulée which we did not get an opportunity to sample)
Posted Image

First course
Snail ravioli in a garlic and cream sauce or
Homard rillette on potato wrapped in smoked salmon
Posted Image
Posted Image

Main course
Gallette of lamb on a bed of ratatouille or
Brochette of lapereau or
whole calf kidney (!)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Desserts from the trolley - choice was not a problem as one could mix and match discreetly, a few cherries, melon, peaches, strawberries, white chocolate and nut gateau, peach tart, rhubarb tart, cheese cakes, crème anglais ... and then, unbeknown to us, some, like the skewers of fresh fruits and the tarte tatin, were whisked away to be grilled or reheated and garnished with fresh fruit and sorbet
Posted Image

... so after cold and then hot desserts we lingered over a leisurely coffee!

A very enjoyable and tasty meal - and we will certainly be returning in the near future.

#20 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:17 AM

Anyone visiting in Strasbourg and wanting a pleasantly tasty, quick, lunch should try Porcus Dei, 6, place du Temple Neuf 67000 Strasbourg which is near to the main shopping area.

The main restaurant is on the first floor above the Porcus charcuterie but, in summer, there are also tables in a quietish pedestrianised square behind the shop. The main restaurant room is light and airy and at each end are attractive large marqueteries of Alsace scenes by Spindler (there are small photos on the Porcus web site http://tinyurl.com/27lt8u ).

The dishes are typical of Alsace although served in smaller (more manageable!) portions. There is a large choice including a limited number of non-pork dishes. The set menu costs 16.50€ for two courses and 18.50€ for three courses including beer/water/glass of wine.

Posted Image

The photograph shows two starters, a plate of charcuterie and a bibeleskäs with smoked ham (a type of quark/curd cheese) and two main courses. This was followed by a delicious bilberry and fromage blanc tart.

----------------------------

For an even lighter lunch or just a snack while shopping, L'Epicerie 6, rue du Vieux Seigle 67000 Strasbourg offers a large selection of tartines (slices of bread with hot of cold spreads) and salads at very reasonable prices. It is situated on a narrow pedestrianised street and has tables outside. L'Epicerie is has a distinctive atmosphere, styled very much as an old-fashioned grocery store/bar with dim lighting.

Sharing tartines:

Posted Image

#21 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

The Maximilien restaurant, 19a route d'Ostheim, 68340 ZELLENBERG (one Michelin star GM 15).

The dining room is pleasantly airy and elegant with a good view out over the vineyards towards Riquewihr
Posted Image

We chose the 31 euro Menu d'Affaire which is their "menu on the board"

-mini tarte flambé
Posted Image

-salmon sushi and celeriac foam over crab over a tomato concassé and paprika at the base
Posted Image

-Lightly smoked tartare of trout in a courgette ring and frogs legs in garlic cream
Posted Image

-sandre on a bed of girolles (I thought the sandre was rather overcooked but the combination worked)
Posted Image

Posted Image
-red fruits and pain epice in bruleed cream with spice ice cream

coffee and petit fours (disappointing; only the mango cream had any real taste)
Posted Image

We had a bottle of Gentil du Brandbuckel 2005, D&C Frey, Dambach, an interesting appellation which we have never tried before. Having enjoyed it we went to the producers to buy a few more. It is a bio wine containing 50 % Pinot Blanc, 25% Gewürztraminer, 25 % Tokay-Pinot-Gris which are all grown on the same plot.

Overall we were slightly disappointed but will try the restaurant again sometime in the future.

Edited by milkman, 09 November 2007 - 01:28 PM.

#22 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone know if Chan Chira, a Thai restaurant in Strasbourg, still exists? I ate there in December of 2003. It was absolutely fantastic. After several months in France, I was really craving spicy food and it was a wonderful surprise.
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#23 cigalechanta

cigalechanta
  • participating member
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Your photos are very nice but disapponted to see the dishes with foam. It's getting out of hand. I'll stick to the Auberge I'll
Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

#24 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:58 AM

Does anyone know if Chan Chira, a Thai restaurant in Strasbourg, still exists?  I ate there in December of 2003.  It was absolutely fantastic.  After several months in France, I was really craving spicy food and it was a wonderful surprise.

View Post

I Googled and found some photos and comments for a visit dated 29 October 2007 http://wittylink.com/7120583

#25 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:42 AM

Have added this thread to the interactive map of restaurants in France OUTSIDE of Paris.

Always on the lookout for more reviews.

Where did you last eat in France (outside Paris) that you liked? Hated? would/ would not recommend?

#26 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

For those who enjoy an exhilarating walk before and/or after dining, the Auberge Saint Alexis, Lieu-dit Saint-Alexis, 68240 Kaysersberg, Tel : 03 89 73 90 38 is very popular. It is situated in an opening in the forest about 6 km to the north west and about 350m higher than Riquewihr, the nearest town (it is possible to drive as it is situated on the mountain road from Freland to Riquewihr),. There is a marked footpath from Riquewihr which starts in vineyards and soon disappears into forest; it takes over an hour up and 30 minutes down. There are other longer walks (e.g. 2hr45min from Kientzheim). Although there is seating for 40 or so inside and a similar number on the shaded terrace in summer, it is wise to book. It is open every day except Friday from 12.00-23.00 with last serving at 20.00.

The family run Saint Alexis serves a set of very simple local menus (12-20€) based around tasty soup, meat pie, omelette and ham and crudites, coq fermier, choucroute garnie, collet fumé and potatoes, local cheeses, and fruit tarts and pain perdu.

Posted Image

A small chapel dedicated to Saint Alexis is adjacent to the auberge, from where it is possible to get a key.

For those who enjoy a hearty meal we all found it an experience not to be missed (and will be back for more)! To enter into the experience you really need your walking boots, jackets, and backpacks (and possibly a small dog to sit under your table).

Edited by milkman, 23 November 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#27 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

The Auberge du Haut Meix, 327 chemin Haut Meix, 88100 Taintrux, Tel: 0329566512 is situated in the hamlet of Rougiville on a small road near to the N420 and is a few km from Saint Die des Vosges.

This small family run auberge is only open Friday evenings, and weekends. The dining area is well-lit and attractively decorated. The auberge has a limited but ambitious-sounding menu (approx 25€) but the quality and presentation fails to meet expectations.

Posted Image

Edited by milkman, 23 November 2007 - 02:47 PM.

#28 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:01 AM

The Hotel de l'Europe et Restaurant du Commerce, 4 Route de Bruyères, 88600 Grandvillers, Tel : 03 29 65 71 17 is situated on the main N420 between Bruyères and Epinal (restaurant closed Friday and Sunday evenings).

The hotel (which presumably has a small dining area) and the restaurant are on separate sides of the road. We saw various attractive-looking tray of cold buffet being carried across to the hotel which was presumably being used business meetings/small conferences which raised our hopes of a reasonable meal at a reasonable price. The recently refurbished restaurant dining room was divided into smoking and non-smoking areas. There was also an large outside terrace. The smoking area occupied by locals who were consuming the menu du jour, moules mariniere.

We chose one of the a regional set menus (18€): quiche Lorraine, jambon cooked in crust (to draw out the salt), local cheese, and fruit tart. The jambon arrived in a hollowed-out crust with just enough pre-cut slices for the servings – whether it had really been cooked in a pastry crust was questionable.

Posted Image

The locals probably made the right choice this lunchtime and they probably also enjoy the cooking when having family celebrations.

But we all agreed we would not be returning.

#29 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

The Restaurant Les Terrasses, Hotel Domaine du Lac, 244, rue de la République - 68500 Guebwiller, tel. 03 89 76 15 76 is a contemporary brasserie, open daily for lunch and dinner except for Saturday lunchtime. The dining room has warm contemporary decoration; there is also an extensive shaded terrace on the side of the lake for summer dining.

The restaurant has an extensive a la carte menu and several quick menus. The Formule du Marché menu, served on Monday-Friday lunchtime at 17€ for two or 20€ for three courses, has two choices for each course. On this particular visit we chose the 20€ menu. There is a good selection of Alsace and other wines.

gazpacho (amuse buche)
Posted Image

magret fumé par nos soins sur une salade de radis blancs et noir (the alternative was soupe de poissons)
Posted Image

mignon de porc, chausson de chou braisé au lard confit
Posted Image
or
pavé d’escolier grillé, purée de rutabaga et olivade (escolier=escolar, but described as a type of bar=bass)
Posted Image

carpaccio de figues fraîches, jus de vin chaud et glace de saison
Posted Image

We find this restaurant provides tasty food, served well, at a reasonable price. It is somewhere we go to, if we are in the area, as we know we will be able to get a quick, enjoyable lunch.

#30 milkman

milkman
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

The GaultMillau 2008 publicity includes a list of Jeunes talents GaultMillau. We happened to be near Remiremont last week so decided to seek out the nominee for Lorraine. We’d not really planned to eat there that day so didn’t have the name of the restaurant with us. However the tourist office was very helpful and gave us a booklet of all restaurants in the area and then marked their location on a town map. Fortunately we vaguely remembered how the restaurant looked, having checked the web site a week or so before. None in the booklet looked quite right but we set out for the mostly likely. And we knew we’d made the right choice when we saw a cutting from the local newspaper displayed in the entrance and the new GM on the shelf by the desk.

Ludovic Léné has only been at Le Clos Heurtebise, 13 chemin des Capucins, 88200 Remiremont, tel: 03 29 62 08 04 for a few years and had not appeared in many recent guides (14 in GM 2006 but not in GM 2007). The restaurant is closed Sunday evening and all of Monday.

We were there Tuesday lunchtime and the dining room was empty. Later another couple arrived. The entrance and dining room have some interesting old wood panelling and cupboards and the dining room is decorated with warm furnishings. Talking later it seemed that business was always slow at the beginning of the week at this time of year but the restaurant was full at weekends.

We chose the menu La Coquette at 27.50€

Posted Image
amuse bouche - potiron soup with girolles
Posted Image
starter: Assiette Ter Mer: mignon de porc et thon fumee, mesclun a l'huile olive des baux de Provence
(two other choices
- fois gras de canard mi-cuit, compotee de figues et oignons blanc (sup 2.50€)
- aile de raie poelee aux supremes de pamplemousse, quelques feuilles en vinaigrette de capres)
Posted Image
main: magret de canard de Landes cuisiné au chocolate, tartine de moutarde au cacao et spazle fraiche et tour de moulin au grué
(two other choices
-cabillaud poche au pistou, pomme de terre Ratte a la fleur de sel de Maldon, puree de tomates sechees
- supreme de volaille fermiere roti et copeaux de fois gras cru, jus monte a l'huile de noisette, poelee de champignons de saison)
chariot de fromages
Posted Image
dessert: feuillantine noisette, mouse caramel et sauce pralinee
(two other choices
- pomme poelee caramelisee, biscuits au beurre demi-sel, sorbet granny-smith au cidre
- poire au vin chaud, sorbet griotte, croustillant a la cannelle)
coffee 2.50-2.75€ Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Italian, Zimbabwe....
Posted Image

The service was very good and unobtrusive. The courses were tasty although we were doubtful the mustard and cocoa tartine or the ground roast cocoa bean really added anything to the duck given the delightful chocolate sauce. The menu was good value, especially given the inclusion of a cheese course. Perhaps, given the GM nomination, we were hoping for slightly more adventurous food and, rather annoyingly, we made the same choices.

We'll have to visit again soon to explore this restaurant further!

Edited by milkman, 05 December 2007 - 02:40 AM.