Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Savories: What are you making & baking?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:57 AM

I'm finally settled into a new apartment, and are finally able to bake again! To test my new oven, I did a very basic 4 ingredient sourdough, 65% Hydration, "Hand made, Dan Lepard style", fridge retarded 24 hours / overnight for proofing (notice the blisters!). Baked on a hot stone for ~ 65 minutes.

I wanted to test out a new way to make a gringe. My local artisan bakery had a pattern that I wanted to replicate. It's a "checkerboard", 3 by 3 cuts. Not very easy to see maybe, I can post more pictures of it later.

Also note that It's slightly underproofed on purpose. (Baked it still a bit cold), I didn't want the gringe to be filled in completely as I wanted those square "tops" on top of the loaf ( the thing I was trying to replicate). The "tears" were unintentional, so I could have waited for another 30 minutes or so i guess.

At the same time, I just wanted to create a thread where myself and anyone who wants can post pictures of our little creations, for no particular reason .-) I know how proud you all are, so don't be shy! :-)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by glennbech, 03 September 2006 - 02:01 AM.

#2 Bill44

Bill44
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:19 AM

Is this what you were trying for?

Posted Image
Kind regards
Bill

#3 danlepard

danlepard
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:24 AM

what great loaves, guys! But what I will never understand is why a home baker can produce such great bread while so many commercial bakers won't (rather than "can't").

Dan

#4 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

Bill44; Excellent! :-) The Loaf I was "copycating" wasn't as regular as yours, but; wow that looks good ! .-)

Dan; Thanks! Here in Norway, we have a only one major comercial company that does "the real thing". They had a turnover of about 2 million pounds last year, so it's good business. I'm lucky to live very close to one of their 3 bakeries .-) Their loaves and pastries are amazing. I'll post some pictures later.

#5 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:07 AM

glennbech---I've gotta say it looks like you've nailed it, irregular looking top or not. When you first started posting about your technique of experimenting I thought you might be a little out there, but you can make a loaf of bread. That loaf looks like more.

#6 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

Here are a couple of mine:

Posted Image
Panettone

Posted Image
Walnut Bread

Edited by Swisskaese, 03 September 2006 - 06:53 AM.

#7 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

LOL, great idea, Glenn! Always love to oogle at Breads! Here's mine. But, don't view it in Mozilla. Problem with the scrolling. And, my sourdough blog.

Great breads, everybody. Yum!
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#8 Grub

Grub
  • legacy participant
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

Bread: (Yeah, it belongs in the "Regrettable" gallery -- it is there...)
Posted Image

Sandwich made from an almost equally failed attempt:
Posted Image

#9 Velma

Velma
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Great thread! When I think about all the bread disasters I have had over the years, taking pictures never occurred to me but I will do it next time! Maybe I will laugh instead of cry :hmmm:

Edited by Velma, 03 September 2006 - 08:44 AM.

#10 cognitivefun

cognitivefun
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

fantastic pix! Thanks

glenbach, how does your loaf compare to the ones made at the local artisan bakery?

#11 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

Posted Image

here's a ciabatta i made using the recipe from the il fornaio baking book but jeffrey hamelman's method.

this thread might prove (!) to push me to bake some more, which would be good as i enjoy it very much.

#12 donyeokl

donyeokl
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

This is a sourdough rye...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers...
Don

Edited by donyeokl, 03 September 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Cheers...
Don

#13 Bill44

Bill44
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

This is one of my Focaccias.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Kind regards
Bill

#14 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my focaccia ( Dan lepard formula ) ,I havent bake much I only made a whole wheat /rye bread .
Need to get baking going now that is getting cooler ( finally !! ).
Vanessa

#15 Bill44

Bill44
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

English Muffins (sourdough)

Posted Image
Kind regards
Bill

#16 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

This is so impressive .. yes, bread! I am in awe of your abilities .. it is something I have never tried ... I am afraid of yeast :unsure: ... and it well may be afraid of me, too! :laugh: Thanks for the beautiful photographs everyone!
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#17 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

Dan Lepard's garlic bread, featured in another thread. Not entirely successful as far as looks go, but instructive and very tasty and made the house smell wonderful. I think it needs to go into a hotter oven. Very very soft dough.

Posted Image

#18 Bill44

Bill44
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

I don't use commercial yeast, I'm a dedicated sourdough baker myself.

Basic White Loaves.

Posted Image

Kaiser Rolls

Posted Image
Kind regards
Bill

#19 johnsmith45678

johnsmith45678
  • participating member
  • 801 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

Irish soda bread:
Posted Image

Don't remeber for sure, but I think it was potato bread. The crust was really brittle after baking, but I put it in a plastic bag after it had cooled and the crust became very chewy (yum!):
Posted Image

(As you can tell, I'm a newbie bread photographer -- I didn't take pictures of the interior, nor extreme closeups :raz: )

I got both of these recipes from The Ultimate Bread Book (which I picked up after one day just deciding I wanted to learn how to make bread). I've made two other types of bread from that book -- the pictures must still be in my camera. I've been pleased with all the recipes so far. I really like making bread (and eating it!), just wish it didn't take so many hours!

#20 pastrymama

pastrymama
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

All the breads look great, but I am especially impressed with the English muffinsby Bill44. Would you tell us what recipe you used or post it? Thanks

Edited by pastrymama, 03 September 2006 - 06:53 PM.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

#21 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

this is one of my happy sourdough whites breads....I got 2 slices before the dog ate it

Posted Image

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#22 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

I've been pleased with all the recipes so far. I really like making bread (and eating it!), just wish it didn't take so many hours!

View Post

i think (not that i practice this, but i wish i would) it is a great idea to make your starter/poolish/biga whatever, the night before. then you can throw your loaf/loaves together the next day any time. you can even make your bread dough the night before and allow it to retard in the fridge overnight. the extra time can really help to develop the flavor of the bread. that way, you don't feel like you're spending so much time on it. besides, so much of baking is passive waiting...including waiting for the loaf to cool down enough to eat it :wink:

#23 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

One more good one, another sourdough straight from the EGCI...actually its 2 more :laugh:

Posted Image

tracey

Great...now I want bread. Just fired up the starter again.

Edited by rooftop1000, 03 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#24 Velma

Velma
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

This is one of my Focaccias.

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Post

That is beautiful and I am beyond envious. I have tried over and over again to make focaccia and it has failed each and every time. I'm pretty much giving up on it but it is nice to see that it can be done. I can just imagine how good that tastes.

#25 johnsmith45678

johnsmith45678
  • participating member
  • 801 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

I've been pleased with all the recipes so far. I really like making bread (and eating it!), just wish it didn't take so many hours!

View Post

i think (not that i practice this, but i wish i would) it is a great idea to make your starter/poolish/biga whatever, the night before. then you can throw your loaf/loaves together the next day any time. you can even make your bread dough the night before and allow it to retard in the fridge overnight. the extra time can really help to develop the flavor of the bread. that way, you don't feel like you're spending so much time on it. besides, so much of baking is passive waiting...including waiting for the loaf to cool down enough to eat it :wink:

View Post

Yeah, it got too late with one batch of bread and I stuck it in the fridge overnight (during rising I think). It turned out fine, and I did think it had more yeasty flavor.

#26 fodgycakes

fodgycakes
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Focaccia from Bread Baker's Apprentice.

Posted Image

Dinner rolls also from BBA, the first formula.

Posted Image

I've just started baking breads this summer from BBA and have really enjoyed it.
Michelle Pham

I like pie.

#27 Marcia

Marcia
  • participating member
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Japanese descendant, born/raised in Brazil, British citizen for a decade.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

I am afraid of yeast  :unsure: ... and it well may be afraid of me, too!  :laugh:

View Post

:laugh: I know what you mean, in the beginning I was also afraid of yeast, specially when this one turned into a monster in my fridge and threatened to scape and spread horror and terror in town:

Posted Image

:raz: Needless to say that the bread from that dough was far too inedible with the excess of yeast... I was still learning how to bake breads...

Then after reading many bread books, egullets threads and websites, I've finally learned how to deal with yeast, temperature, umidity and all that. As result, I managed to make nice ones like this Pain L'Ancienne, which is so simple to make and sooo tasty:

Posted Image

then eventually I've tried to make my wild yeast starter. I failed many times. But persistence paid off:

Posted Image

and from there I started to make sourdough breads. This one doesn't look very nice and big but it was incredible good in taste and texture:

Posted Image

So, do not be afraid of yeast, they are perfectly tamable beasts. (didn't mean to rhyme... :raz: )

:smile:
Marcia

#28 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

I want to see bagels! -.) This is definitly my next project from the BBA .-)

#29 Bill44

Bill44
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

All the breads look great, but I am especially impressed with the English muffinsby Bill44.  Would you  tell us what recipe you used or post it?  Thanks

View Post

Pastrymama, the recipe came from here in the special recipes section, there are 32 recipes in there.:-
Northwest Sourdough

I made a half batch and used half milk half water instead of just all water.
Kind regards
Bill

#30 fodgycakes

fodgycakes
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Here are some BBA bagels. My dough wasn't stiff enough so they flattened a bit during boiling but were still tasty.

Posted Image

For really beautiful looking bagels, look through Ann_T's posts, I think she uses the BBA recipe too.
Michelle Pham

I like pie.