Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#211 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have 4 airbrushes/sprayguns for chocolate - the Badger 250, another Badger I can't recall the number of (that I bought because it could splatter - theoretically) and Iwata (never worked worth a shit with chocolate) and now the Fuji.

The Fuji is the only one I suspect I'll ever use again.

Hi Kerry,

Do you still think the Fuji is the best option for chocolate/colored cocoa butter spraying?
Are you still happy with it?

Thanks,
Omar

Yup - still loving it. Have learned more over time about keeping it from blocking up which is great.

#212 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

I have 4 airbrushes/sprayguns for chocolate - the Badger 250, another Badger I can't recall the number of (that I bought because it could splatter - theoretically) and Iwata (never worked worth a shit with chocolate) and now the Fuji.

Hi Kerry,

Do you still think the Fuji is the best option for chocolate/colored cocoa butter spraying?

Thanks,
Omar

Yup - still loving it. Have learned more over time about keeping it from blocking up which is great.

Is the Fuji an external (like Badger 250) or internal-mix spray gun?
Do you have any tips you could share to avoid blocking?

Thanks a lot,
Omar

Edited by chocochoco, 13 September 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#213 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi Kerry,

Thanks,
Omar

Thanks a lot,
Omar

It's internal.

The blocking problem comes from the coloured cocoa butter that's left in the gun after use. I used to have to do a whole lot of heating over and over to try and get it going. Now I do this - put finger on outlet and push trigger - contents regurgitate into the cup allowing you to wipe them out of the cup. Heat and repeat until clean.

#214 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:17 AM

Hi Kerry,

Thanks,
Omar

Thanks a lot,
Omar

It's internal.

The blocking problem comes from the coloured cocoa butter that's left in the gun after use. I used to have to do a whole lot of heating over and over to try and get it going. Now I do this - put finger on outlet and push trigger - contents regurgitate into the cup allowing you to wipe them out of the cup. Heat and repeat until clean.

Hi Kerry,

Do you temper/cristalize the coloured cocoa butter or just melt it at 40C/100F before spraying it on molds?
If I want to smear coloured cocoa butter on molds, it will have to be cristilized before, won't it?

Thanks,
Omar

#215 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

I just melt it so that there is still some unmelted coloured cocoa butter in the bottle.

#216 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

What nozzle size do you like or prefer to use?

Thanks,
Omar

#217 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks,
Omar

I use the red nozzle - I seem to recall it's a size 6.

#218 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Thanks,
Omar

The Fuji comes with the yellow nozzle, set #4 (1.4mmm). The red one, as you said, is set #6 (2.2mm).
Did you try the yellow nozzle? Why do you prefer the red one to spray coloured cocoa butter?

Edited by chocochoco, 23 September 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#219 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks,
Omar

The Fuji comes with the yellow nozzle, set #4 (1.4mmm). The red one, as you said, is set #6 (2.2mm).
Did you try the yellow nozzle? Why do you prefer the red one to spray coloured cocoa butter?

I think I decided that was the one I needed when I bought it - don't recall exactly why - think it had to do with the viscosity. Haven't tried any other nozzles.

#220 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

Do you think using the smaller nozzle would give too much blocking nozzle problems while in use?

#221 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

Do you think using the smaller nozzle would give too much blocking nozzle problems while in use?

That would be my concern.

#222 chocochoco

chocochoco
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi Kerry,

When spraying molds that are going to be shelled with dark chocolate, we have to spray a layer of white cocoa butter after spraying the other coloured cocoa butters and before filling with dark chocolate for the colours to show.
Have you shelled with white (ivory) chocolate instead of dark? Is it the same procedure? Or is the white cocoa butter layer not needed?

Thanks,
Omar

#223 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hi Kerry,

When spraying molds that are going to be shelled with dark chocolate, we have to spray a layer of white cocoa butter after spraying the other coloured cocoa butters and before filling with dark chocolate for the colours to show.
Have you shelled with white (ivory) chocolate instead of dark? Is it the same procedure? Or is the white cocoa butter layer not needed?

Thanks,
Omar

To get the contrast with white chocolate you don't need to spray with white - however keep in mind that white chocolate is kind of yellow - so you may end up deciding to spray anyway to get the colours you are accustomed to.

#224 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Second day using Fuji HVLP gun. Can I tell you I LOVE IT!!!! Very little overspray, no atomizing (or very little). It doesn't clog. I dialed it back a bit and it doesn't use as much color as the first time. I have tightened down all knobs and it works great. Thanks Kerry for experimenting on this for all our benefit.

photo3.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#225 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hi all, I've been reading lots of threads from the forum about air compressors and vacuum sealers for cakes and chocolate work, but a lot are a few years old now. I want the vacuum sealer for freezing ganache for later use (as I believe Kerry mentioned in a previous thread) and the compressor/air gun for spraying coloured cocoa butter for moulded chocolates.

I've read through the threads and ended up with sore eyes, so thought I'd just come out and ask.

What would you recommend is the best on the market for about £200-£300 ($300-$450) each? I want something that is robust for my business, but nothing too fiddly.

Thanks!

Edited by AnythingButPlainChocolate, 23 November 2011 - 06:57 AM.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#226 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi all, I've been reading lots of threads from the forum about air compressors and vacuum sealers for cakes and chocolate work, but a lot are a few years old now. I want the vacuum sealer for freezing ganache for later use (as I believe Kerry mentioned in a previous thread) and the compressor/air gun for spraying coloured cocoa butter for moulded chocolates.

I've read through the threads and ended up with sore eyes, so thought I'd just come out and ask.

What would you recommend is the best on the market for about £200-£300 ($300-$450) each? I want something that is robust for my business, but nothing too fiddly.

Thanks!

Any of the foodsaver vacuum sealers would probably work just fine for ganache. I pick them up at thrift stores usually.

I think I picked up one of the badger compressors on ebay for a student of mine to be used with their badger airbrush. Again you probably don't need anything too expensive - it will be noisier than a more expensive one - so wear hearing protection.

#227 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Hi Kerry, thanks for the reply. Do you still use/recommend the Fuji that you were using for airbrushing?
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#228 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hi Kerry, thanks for the reply. Do you still use/recommend the Fuji that you were using for airbrushing?

Love the fuji - but it's more of an airgun and uses a turbine rather than a compressor. Total cost around $1000.

#229 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking to up my game on the chocolates I make for the holidays every year. The pictures posted on here of chocolates that have been made in airbrushed moulds are inspiring, but finding a suitable starter kit has not been particularly easy. Most product descriptions indicate their suitability for cake decorating, not spraying cocoa butter.

If anyone who knows what they're talking about wouldn't mind taking a look at the kit in the link below and providing their opinion on it's suitability I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.goldaskit...pid=9231&step=4

#230 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Can't tell if it's for chocolate consistency liquids or if it's for lighter stuff. Does it have to come from a Canadian vendor?

#231 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the response Kerry. If I can't find it in Canada then no, I'll look down south. I have ordered from chef rubber before when I couldn't find ingredients up here and I believe that the thread above does mention a model that can be bought from them. I was hoping to avoid the shipping charges if possible though since it can often add up to be more than the cost of the item purchased.

#232 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

There is a discussion on The Chocolate Life about this Kreb's unit that I find interesting. Looks like a couple of places in the US sell it - doesn't seem to be a Canadian distributor. I like the plug in nature of it - no compressor, no turbine.

#233 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

I know a couple of airbrush artists who do not have compressors but instead buy cylinders of CO2 for their airbrushes. They replace them like you would a propane tank for an outdoor grill.

#234 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Can't tell if it's for chocolate consistency liquids or if it's for lighter stuff. Does it have to come from a Canadian vendor?

Is there a particular spec on the unit I should be looking for to see if it can handle more viscous liquids?

#235 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'd call them at Golds's and see if they can tell you what it is made to spray.

#236 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

So I am planning on making one of the plated desserts from Eleven Madison Park, and one of the components of the dish is "sesame chocolate spray". Unfortunately I do not have a spray gun. My question is this: is there a good way to add these flavors using a different technique? Or a way to achieve a similar result with another tool? The recipe simply has you melt the following ingredients and add to a spray gun:

1 cup 66% chocolate, 1 cup cocoa butter, 1 Tbsp sesame oil

I know I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist ... I thought of using an olive oil mister, but I realize the pressure/shear force in a spray gun is orders of magnitude higher than that of the mister. I was wondering maybe if I just mixed the ingredients I could spread it like a paste, so I could still add the sesame chocolate flavor.

Edited by Baselerd, 30 October 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#237 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

If you have some way of covering a lot of space around the dessert, you might try making the mixture as described, then using a brush to shake/spatter it on.
It would be coarser than a spray, but beats clogging your oil mister. You could test the technique on a plate, first, to see how it goes/how much the effect can be controlled.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#238 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

#239 Lia Tumkus

Lia Tumkus
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I use spray gun on my cakes and I suggest you do a 2:1 ratio of chocolate and cocoa butter (forget about the oil!), it tastes better this way, specially if you are not going to do with a gun, and probably do some splatters (which I would suggest you to do as well) that can be quite thick.

I've tried with other sprays but you actually do need that powerful motor to get that fine coating spray.

#240 welshchocolover

welshchocolover
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

other than aerosol cans and some pump meant for fences....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate