Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Merits of barware

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 LindyCat

LindyCat
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

What do you like in your barware? Do you like your glasses of thick sturdy glass, or do you prefer a thin glass, perhaps crystal?

Any feelings on zany stems?

Colors?

The merits of mixing in metal vs glass?

Just a curiosity poll. :)

#2 plattetude

plattetude
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

I'm very particular about cocktail glasses in particular. Particularly. :blink:

I have a martini set from almost 20 years ago which included (pre-breakage) 6 cocktail glasses, pitcher, and stirrer. I gotta tell you, the thin, polished lip of these glasses really help a cocktail sing in a way that the thick, rounded lips of most standard issue barware never can. Sadly, though, they're that more more prone to chipping, but c'est la vie, as they c'est.

The size of them is also ideal -- not the 12 oz. monstrosities that have become the norm, but a more human 8 oz. size (that still looks reasonably well-filled with a 4 oz. drink).

No frills otherwise, no zany polka dots or rainbow-hued stems, yadda yadda. The fun is in the contents, IMHO.

My cents.

Christopher

Edited by plattetude, 04 April 2005 - 01:49 PM.

#3 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:11 PM

For speed, nothing can beat the regular old Boston shaker used with a hawthorne or julep strainer. For home, use, however, I prefer to use something from my modest collection of inherited and acqired vintage shakers/pitchers.

I've heard people assert that metal shakers make for a colder drink, usually citing the fact that metal is a much better thermal conductor than glass. While it is true that metal is a better thermal conductor than glass, this should actually make a metal shaker worse, not better, at chilling the drink -- as it more readily conducts heat from the surrounding environment (your hands, for example) into its contents. If this is, in fact, true -- and I won't believe it until I do the experiments myself -- it likely has something to do with glass shakers having a greater thermal capacity compared to metal shakers. This being the case, a pre-chilled glass shaker should actually perform best.

In terms of glasses, I like the old ones better as well. Or, failing that, older style glasses. I like them around 5 - 6 ounces, sized to hold a drink at around 3-4 ounces. Lately I've been influenced away from the standard "V" glass and have grown fond of cocktail glasses with more of a "globe" or "coupe" shape.

Drinking out of a good glass makes a big difference, and can really influence the mood of the cocktail. Splificator's "Tombstone" cocktail, a fine drink with an "old fashioned" feel is served in a glass shape that I really like at Flatiron Lounge.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#4 kbuzbee

kbuzbee
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

Every spirit has a shape of glass that shows off it's best characture. What is rum's??

Ken

#5 DERF

DERF
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

Good Question

I Love the way it Looks in the Bottle. :smile:
-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------
Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

#6 kbuzbee

kbuzbee
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:43 AM

Good Question

I Love the way it Looks in the Bottle.  :smile:

View Post

Absolutely! But it really kills the nose.

For me (so far)

Beer - 20 ounce Pilsner glass Second - 6 ounce wine glass
Bourbon - Schott Zweisel Cask Aged Spirits glass Second - 10 ounce curve walled rocks glass
Wine - 14 ounce wine glass Second - 6 ounce wine glass
Tequila - 4 ounce snifter Second - 4 ounce Reidel tulip glass
Cognac - 4 ounce Reidel tulip glass Second - 6 ounce snifter

so far for rum (and I'm talking Pyrat XO straight up here)

4 ounce snifter (really brings out the nose) Second - 6 ounce wine glass (more places have these and it also does a nice job showing off the nose). Both glasses present the rum well to the palate. I think the shape of the wine glass may present it better (to me, but I have a LARGE mouth :)

Anyone else?? Anyone have something I haven't named here??

Ken

#7 Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:19 PM

I like a glass that doens't concentrate the aroma. Good rums have plenty of aroma and by holding the glass at about 45degrees, and moving your nose from the top edge to the bottom edge you can pick out some of the aromas in complex rums.

If you're just drinking mixed drinks it doesn't matter.
Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com
The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

#8 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I have enjoyed sipping Ron Facapa Centenario 23 Years out of an "open" glass which does not concentrate the aromas, as Ed described. I never thought I would drink any brown liquor straight. It is wonderful stuff.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#9 mbanu

mbanu
  • participating member
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Every spirit has a shape of glass that shows off it's best characture. What is rum's??

Ken

View Post

Invariably whichever one is most expensive. :biggrin:

#10 jamiemaw

jamiemaw
  • participating member
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Accept no substitutes.
from the thinly veneered desk of:
Jamie Maw
Food Editor
Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com
Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

#11 Gifted Gourmet

Gifted Gourmet
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

Accept no substitutes.

View Post

Jamie, the link doesn't work on this .. please repost before I go into cardiac arrest from anticipation at what the link was going to show ...
Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

#12 LunaSea

LunaSea
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

Every so often you can find Pyrat XO in a gift box that comes with a pair of frosted glasses that say "Pyrat Rum" on them. They seem sort of fitting. :smile:

#13 elixirofthetropics

elixirofthetropics
  • legacy participant
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

Would the Glencairn Glass or Single Malt glass be conducive to enjoying premium and higher grade rum?

#14 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Rum seems a little "hotter" in the glass, if not at actual proof level than single malt or bourbon, so I'd be cautious about any glass that concentrated those nose-hair-singing alcohol vapors. I think a smaller wine glass might be the best option, or perhaps a straight sided rocks glass. :shrug:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#15 westsail

westsail
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

Call me a heretic, but I use a brandy sniffer type glass....however I do cut the rum with a small amount of water .

#16 Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

I like to add a 'few' drops of water to straight rums bottled at over 38 % alcohol. Small wine glasses with wide mouths and short sides work well, but taller glasses concentrate too much of the alcohol and other aromas in the spirit.

I have yet to find that rum tastes better in an expensive glass, though glass ware does have an impact on the flavor. To me, glassware is like spirits, paying more money doesn't necessarily mean a better spirit.
Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

#17 sadistick

sadistick
  • legacy participant
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Ed,

Is Ron Zacapa ever going to hit shelves in Canada (Ontario)???
"He who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else."
- Samuel Johnson

#18 Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

I don't know what this has to do with barware, but I can't assure you that Zacapa is working on it.
Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

#19 LunaSea

LunaSea
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

Sounds to me like he wants his Ron Zacapa so he can go out and buy some appropriate barware. :raz:

#20 sadistick

sadistick
  • legacy participant
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Sounds to me like he wants his Ron Zacapa so he can go out and buy some appropriate barware. :raz:

View Post

Thank you Luna! :laugh:
"He who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else."
- Samuel Johnson

#21 elixirofthetropics

elixirofthetropics
  • legacy participant
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

Rum seems a little "hotter" in the glass, if not at actual proof level than single malt or bourbon, so I'd be cautious about any glass that concentrated those nose-hair-singing alcohol vapors.  I think a smaller wine glass might be the best option, or perhaps a straight sided rocks glass. :shrug:

View Post

The first scotch I had in the Glencairn glass was a blended Gordon's (which was the complimentary whisky the Heritage Centre gave to the visitors....a less expensive whisky). Notably hot especially to my nose. I paid extra for a 4-whisky tasting after the tour (not as cheap as Gordon's but not as expensive as the Limited Edition). Warm but not hot. I got 2 bottles of Premium-equivalent Single Malt whisky (and 2 bottles of Limited Edition blended Irish Whiskey during my layover in Dublin). Those compared to the same grade of rum I can't tell any difference regarding hotness in the Glencairn. (Maybe that is because the Gordon's singed my nose hair, lol)

#22 figuredmaple

figuredmaple
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Here are three that Riedel offer depending on your price point.

Posted Image

From the Riedel Overture line, Item # 408/19

Posted Image

From the Riedel Vinum line, Item # 416/71

Posted Image

From the Riedel Sommeliers line, Item # 4400/71

They're the same glasses that they recommend for cognac.

#23 Jerry L

Jerry L
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:01 AM

:biggrin: For me, I always taste a new rum with about 2 ounces in the bottom of an 8 oz. snifter. Want to get the full aroma before the taste.

Afterwards, a tall 12 oz chimney full of ice, 2 oz rum, and fill with tonic. Brings out a lot of softened characteristics and adds a little sweetness.

#24 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

Anyone have recommendations on particular suppliers for quality bartending tools and supplies?

I find most of the fancy cooking stores and liquor stores have pretty poor selections. You're lucky to find a boston shaker.

Specifically, I need to find some decent pourers for my drippy bottles, so I can finish these damn layered Angel's Cocktails in the Savoy without wasting too much more difficult to find liqueur.

I also chipped the top glass to my boston shaker and would like to find some cheap tempered pint glasses (or maybe a stainless cheater tin).

Stores open to the public in the San Francisco area would be ideal; but, online is OK, too.

Edited by eje, 11 September 2006 - 02:09 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#25 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

I also chipped the top glass to my boston shaker and would like to find some cheap tempered pint glasses (or maybe a stainless cheater tin).

I've picked up the habit of using metal on metal boston shakers from Pegu but even those can crack.

Posted Image

#26 Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

Here are three that Riedel offer depending on your price point.

Posted Image

From the Riedel Overture line, Item # 408/19

Posted Image

From the Riedel Vinum line, Item # 416/71

Posted Image

From the Riedel Sommeliers line, Item # 4400/71

They're the same glasses that they recommend for cognac.

View Post

I've tried a lot of the Riedel cognac and single malt whisky glasses, but they are generally too small at the opening to appreciate the fuller flavors of aged rum, especially aged rhum agricole.
Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

#27 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hey there, some time ago, Mr. Alchemist posted the following in the You might be a cocktail snob/geek if... topic:

When you go shopping for shakers you have to go to a couple of stores to get the right Winco/Johnson Rose combination.

Johnder asked what the correct combination of shakers might be.

Having (happily) run across a Winco 30oz shaker the other day, I am hoping that part of the equation might be correct.

In any case, the Winco 30oz works much better than the rather more expensive WMF boston shaker I had been using. I think the thicker steel of the WMF might actually be a disadvantage.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#28 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

Had not previously noticed this thread, but since it got bumped up I'll weigh in with my 2 cents.

My favorite glasses for home use are a set of Nachtmann 24% crystal coupette-style glasses I picked up for $3/each (didn't know at the time how great a bargain that really was). They are tiny by modern standards, about 3 oz, but the shape means they can fully contain a 3 oz cocktail since it has a defined lip. I was recently able to replace dumb breakage losses from the same source, so now I actually have a set of 6 and one spare. Before I got those, my favorites were a pair of tiny standard V shaped glasses someone gave me to pay a debt once. They say Crown Royal or something on them and are also tiny. I really prefer what most people would consider to be an extremely small cocktail glass, which allows the drink to remain ice-cold, lets me try more than one thing in an evening and still be productive, and saves money on liquor, since it gets used up slower. I have a handful of larger glasses, but of the dozen cocktail glasses I have, 2/3 of them hold 3 oz or less.

I actually became extremely fond of the coupette shape over the V shape, I like the traditional feel of it and it's a little harder to spill also.

-Andy
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#29 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

I'm sure this betrays my complete amateur status...but I use a set of metal cocktail glasses from Sur La Table. so long as you hold them correctly they hold their temperature very well, and they are virtually unbreakable...besides looking stylish.

as for a shaker, I confess to using a standard julep shaker -- which works just fine for me...

#30 maureen b

maureen b
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

I'm sure this betrays my complete amateur status...but I use a set of metal cocktail glasses from Sur La Table.  so long as you hold them correctly they hold their temperature very well, and they are virtually unbreakable...besides looking stylish.

as for a shaker, I confess to using a standard julep shaker -- which works just fine for me...

View Post

The thought of drinking from a metal cocktail glass seems kind of unpleasant to me.

I treated myself this Christmas to a set of iittala Aarne cocktail glasses. They are v-shaped with a short, stumpy stem. I tried them out with an Aviation, which fit perfectly in this size glass.