Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Inexpensive Excellence

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Busboy

Busboy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:48 AM

(This question occurred to me after spending almost $90 on a good, but not extraordinary wine-less lunch for two at what is thought of in DC as a "mid-priced" Italian place near my office. )

Others who know better than I say that the top end of the U.S. food scene is competitve in terms of cost and quality with any in the world. And we are certainly blessed with a number excellent, inexpensive ethnic restaurants.

But, compared to what I have found in Europe, it seems that we are very short of restaurants that serve very good or excellent food at or just above your price point, say $25-40 for a three course meal, with a drinkable table wine for $15/liter.

First, do you see the same thing? And, second, why do you think that is?

I wonder if Europeans are more comfortable eating inexpensive preparations and so chefs are more skilled at coaxing excellence from them -- a highlight of a 32 euro (tax and tip included) starched tablecloth dinner in Paris was pig's head, for example. Are food and staff costs just lower there? Are Americans paying for a more varied menu -- more overhead, more line cooks --and better decore? Or are we just settling for less?

Thanks.
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.