Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Anyone made a swizzle with W&N overproof?

#62 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I haven't but that sounds... strong!

#63 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have. Did it for last month's mixology monday. I'm not claiming it's great, I don't have much experience creating drinks, but I was happy with it.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#64 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

A couple of drinks from the book.

Trader Vic's Derby Cocktail with Buffalo Trace bourbon, Dolin sweet vermouth, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, and lime juice. Very good with the dry curaçao. Not too many cocktails with this combo. The Oriental comes very close I think?

Posted Image

The Communist with Beefeater gin, More blood orange juice, Luxardo cherry liqueur, and lemon juice. Nice and tart. There was almost a tangerine flavor to it (from the cherry + blood orange combo).

Posted Image

#65 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Trader Vic's Derby Cocktail with Buffalo Trace bourbon, Dolin sweet vermouth, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, and lime juice. Very good with the dry curaçao. Not too many cocktails with this combo.

That one has a sneaky flavor. You might be tempted to think that it's going to be a citrusy Manhattan-style cocktail (that's what I thought the first time I saw looked at the ingredients), but it ends up being more like an herbal whiskey sour.

Nice pics. Beautiful color on that Communist.

Edited by brinza, 08 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#66 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Trader Vic's Derby Cocktail with Buffalo Trace bourbon, Dolin sweet vermouth, Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, and lime juice. Very good with the dry curaçao. Not too many cocktails with this combo.

That one has a sneaky flavor. You might be tempted to think that it's going to be a citrusy Manhattan-style cocktail (that's what I thought the first time I saw looked at the ingredients), but it ends up being more like an herbal whiskey sour.

Nice pics. Beautiful color on that Communist.

Thank you Mike!

I agree, the Derby Cocktail seems to belong in the sour family, despite the presence of vermouth.

#67 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Made a Jasper's Rum Punch (following the recipe from the book on Kaiser Penguin) and HOLY SHIT This is one of the best drinks ever. The interplay between the nutmeg and the Wray and Nephew is unbelievable

#68 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Is there a reason nobody has mentioned the Palm Beach Special on this thread? Let's find out...

Gin, grapefruit juice, sweet vermouth - the combination sounds odd on paper. But we've seen improbable combos come together nicely in the past. I guess there is only one way to tell.

8885657144_3ae858f269_z.jpg

In person it is quite horrendous. I followed the recommendation to use Plymouth gin but it got lost in the mix. The cocktail had a very unpleasant finish and the sweet vermouth clashed with the grapefruit big time... I tried fiddling with it adding this and that and valiantly finished it. But I would not like to repeat this experience. :smile: 

#69 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for your heroic fortitude in bringing us this news, FrogPrincesse. By your suffering we have all been spared the Palm Beach Special :biggrin:

#70 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thank you for your heroic fortitude in bringing us this news, FrogPrincesse. By your suffering we have all been spared the Palm Beach Special :biggrin:

Yes... I took one for the team on this one.

Hopefully Ted Haigh/drcocktail will forgive me if he happens to read this. I have a ton of respect for him and what he has done with his book, but this drink just did not work for me.

#71 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Is there a reason nobody has mentioned the Palm Beach Special on this thread? Let's find out...

Gin, grapefruit juice, sweet vermouth - the combination sounds odd on paper. But we've seen improbable combos come together nicely in the past. I guess there is only one way to tell.

8885657144_3ae858f269_z.jpg

In person it is quite horrendous. I followed the recommendation to use Plymouth gin but it got lost in the mix. The cocktail had a very unpleasant finish and the sweet vermouth clashed with the grapefruit big time... I tried fiddling with it adding this and that and valiantly finished it. But I would not like to repeat this experience. :smile: 

We actually like this drink -- maybe it's not A list, but definitely B list. A couple of things -- we use white grapefruit whenever possible in drinks, and my guess is that the red grapefruit doesn't have the acid necessary to stand up to the vermouth. Also, we use Beefeater, mostly because that's our bar gin. Again, it seems to me that Plymouth would get lost. And third, we use M&R sweet vermouth. I'm not very familiar with Dolin, but I'm not much impressed with it. The one odd thing about this drink, as we make it, is that it really doesn't taste of grapefruit or sweet vermouth -- the combination ends up tasting like something else entirely. We happen to like it, but I guess if you're expecting a grapefruit drink, it would be disappointing.

#72 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

We actually like this drink -- maybe it's not A list, but definitely B list. A couple of things -- we use white grapefruit whenever possible in drinks, and my guess is that the red grapefruit doesn't have the acid necessary to stand up to the vermouth. Also, we use Beefeater, mostly because that's our bar gin. Again, it seems to me that Plymouth would get lost. And third, we use M&R sweet vermouth. I'm not very familiar with Dolin, but I'm not much impressed with it. The one odd thing about this drink, as we make it, is that it really doesn't taste of grapefruit or sweet vermouth -- the combination ends up tasting like something else entirely. We happen to like it, but I guess if you're expecting a grapefruit drink, it would be disappointing.

JAZ - Life is way too short for B list cocktails. :smile:  

#73 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm not a cocktail guy but ventured upon this vintage bottle of Old Crow bourbon this weekend<br /><br />This bottle dates to 1969<br />All I can say is this is light years away from current Old Crow<br />Flush with butterscotch, caramel and vanilla and is the highest proof Crow I've seen<br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370216879.647649.jpg <br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370216897.574875.jpg <br /><br />
  • Rafa likes this

#74 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Well, clearly I was not paying adequate attention during our previous discussion of the Palm Beach Special, because this is what we (I) chose for cocktail hour today.... :unsure:

003 (640x480).jpg

Actually I enjoyed it. It tasted strongly of pineapples and I concluded it was good for me.

#75 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well, clearly I was not paying adequate attention during our previous discussion of the Palm Beach Special, because this is what we (I) chose for cocktail hour today.... :unsure:

Actually I enjoyed it. It tasted strongly of pineapples and I concluded it was good for me.

Good thing you liked it since you made three of them!

What brand of vermouth/gin did you use?

#76 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yes, I've realised that three drinks at once works much better for me than one.  As it happens, there were two other people involved this time, but still, from now on I will go with three. :biggrin:

We used Beefeater and M&R, as JAZ recommended upthread.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 17 October 2013 - 04:40 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#77 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yesterday I tried out the Seventh Heaven from VSaFC.

1 3/4 (2) oz gin

1/2 oz maraschino

1/4 oz grapefruit juice

002 (480x640).jpg

In these ratios it's very heavy on the maraschino. I would make an Aviation with 1/2 oz lemon juice so it does not make a lot of sense to use less grapefruit juice than that.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 14 February 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#78 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I would add more grapefruit for sure, with maybe a little lemon like the Sands cocktail from Milk & Honey