Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lunch in Elizabeth

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#61 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

Today I went for hot dogs at Tommy's.. There are two places right next door to each other in Elizabeth.. These are rather famous places so I wont get to into it.. Basically, you can just tell by looking at the sign of this place its going to be good.. And when you walk to the counter and see the Hollyeats.com Sign.. Then you know its going to be a good place..

Posted Image

Had a chili dog as an "appetizer". It was really good. The chili is very sweet.. I ordered cheese as well, but they forgot.. Oh well, life she continues.. The hot dog is boiled, its a good dog, but i cant distinguish.. I am sure there are a million people who could tell me the brand they use..

Posted Image

My favorite thing to get here is the spicy sausage.. Its a homemade spicy sausage that's just incredible.. Served on a half a italian roll/bun with onions, peppers and ketchup.. A thing of beauty.. They also give you sliced and fried potatoes. The hot dogs are good, but the sausage is worth driving for.. Another wonderful spot!

Posted Image

Edited by Daniel, 15 April 2005 - 10:46 AM.

#62 John

John
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

Daniel,

The hot dogs used at Tommy's are Best's which are one of my 4 favorite all beef dogs along with Usinger's, Hatfield's angus beef dog, and Sabrett. The other famous place is Jerry's, 2 doors down. Jerry's uses the same natural casing Best's dog, but after boiling, they throw it on a griddle for a little while for added flavor and snap. It does make a difference. I prefer Jerry's dog to Tommy's. And Jerry's chili is better in my opinion. Tommy's uses the natural casing dogs for regular hot dogs, but the skinless version for their Italian Hot Dogs. Both places are very good, and worth going out of your way for. When I'm really hungry, I get an Italian Hot Dog at Tommy's and one or 2 regular dogs at Jerry's. Being married to me, my wife can't help but eat a fair share of hot dogs. Out of all that she's sampled, Jerry's is her favorite hot dog and chili.

Thanks to your pictures, I think I'm headed to Tommy's for a sausage sandwich. And maybe a few dogs at Jerry's. Luckily only 3.6 miles from my driveway.
John the hot dog guy

#63 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:45 AM

New place opened up a couple of months ago on Trumbull.. 766 Trumbull in fact.. Its called Santos Deli.. The menu appears to have a map of Portugal with Viseu, highlighted. They have one of those rotating chicken grilling contraptions.. They serve cold cuts as well as bbq ribs, skirt, pork chops. and chicken.. 1/2 chicken rice and fries for 6 bucks i think. ..

They also have croquettas.. Beef, cod, chicken, and pork. Have daily specials.. The place is brand spanking new and very clean. The building stands out on the block. Everyone there seems really nice.. Just stopped in for a menu. A guy in my Industrial Park said the place was great, but i dont know his tastes.

Edited by Daniel, 18 April 2005 - 09:46 AM.

#64 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Daniel,

Just wanted to agree about the sausage sandwiches at Tommy's - they are GREAT. I was born and raised in Elizabeth and have been going to Tommy's for the past 30 years, there is nothing like them. I noticed a few posts about good Spanish food in Elizabeth and I recently heard about a great place on the border of Eliz/Newark. Don't know the name of it, but its on the corner of Newark Ave. (also called Frelinghuysen Ave.) heading towards Newark from Elizabeth, diagonal to the McDonalds. I hear the food is fantastic and its not that far from where you are if you go straight across North Ave, cross 1&9 and when you get to Newark Ave. make a right, it is a few blocks down on the left. Also, one your earlier posts your wrote

"I am really interested in trying The deli, El Salvadorano, Spiritos and a Soul food restaurant if anyone knows one."

Don't know if anyone has recommended a Soul Food place to you yet, I believe there is one very close to you, on the corner of Bond St. and 2nd St. but if you can take a 5 minute drive, Shack's on E. Grand St. directly across from the police station is top notch. Just take Trumbell across 1&9 and its down a few blocks. The woman who runs it is very friendy and helpful. Great food.

Good luck

#65 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Just went back to Portugal BBQ. Its located on 207 Clak PL. Elizabeth NJ.. I must tell you.. They have the best chicken sandwich i have ever had.. It churrasqueira style. You get a huge portugese subroll with load with chicken lettuce tomato and french fries for 5 bucks..

#66 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Just read a review from a New Jersey paper about Santillo Pizza.. Has anyone ever heard of this place? Good or bad, worth trying.

#67 Taboni

Taboni
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

Santillo's has been my choice in the area for quite a few years. My 86 year old blind in one eye father still drives 20 minutes any time of night to pick up there.
Brick oven, but not as crispy a crust as some brick ovens. Sauce a tiny bit on the sweet side. They also do a very good Sicilian pie with a crust that is not doughy like some I have had. I recommend it highly. I haven't been to the store in a while, but I can't believe they have changed from take out only as it is set in the back of a house in a residential neighborhood.

Edited by Taboni, 09 May 2005 - 09:42 PM.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

#68 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

Wow! I completely forgot about Santillo's. I haven't had their pie in at least 30+ years. Glad to hear it's still there on South Broad Street. Gotta get there on my next trip up from Philly.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#69 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:03 AM

Well I drove by Santillo's yesterday but it is unfortunately closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.. The strange thing about this place is its location.. It is in the middle of a residential area.. The place looks like its someone's home.. There is really nothing seperating it from any of the other houses lined up side by side on that street.
I also wonder if it has subs? Veal or chicken cutlet or cold .. Or is it strictly pizza.

#70 titmfatied

titmfatied
  • participating member
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

the scicillian rocks at Santillo's. If I was going for the first time I'd definately get the scicillian. Their pies are named by different years (a 1958 pie or a 1960 ). There are at least 6 different styles of puzza represented at Santillo's. They also do have sandwiches as well as home made bread after 4:00pm I beleive,

#71 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Just went to Santillo's with my mother, who happens to be a huge pizza fan... While we were walking around the back of this house/pizza parlor, we both knew this place was going to really good..

Santillo is a small little storefront pizza place.. Consisting of a counter and a single chair where you can sit and wait for your pizza to be ready.. It looks like a sub par pizza place, until you see the oven.. This oven is a thing of wonder.. 14 feet wide and 20 feet long.. A brick oven the size of most manhattan studio apartments.. I have never seen anything like this before.. The pizza peels which run about 18 feet long before the paddle, attached to special holders on the ceiling in order to give the pizza maker some working room..

The pizza is cooked at a relatively low temperature.. Although, the oven can go much higher, the pizza maker chooses to leave the oven around 500 degrees.. He said he doesnt like when it cooks too quickly.. Whatever it is, the pizza comes out really crispy and perfectly done..

The type of pizza is very american.. It comes with a heavy sauce, a lot of mozz, and a lot of parm... It really has a 1950's red sauce Italian American feel to it.. Its not my favorite style, but this pie is the leader in that genre.. I can only wait until i try the sicilian style, i am sure it will be awesome..

This is just another example of the beauty of Elizabeth and what a rich culture it has..

Here is a sketch taken from the menu of the oven

Posted Image

Edited by Daniel, 18 May 2005 - 11:17 AM.

#72 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

That oven is scary! IIRC from 30 years ago, don't they do bread, too, or am I confusing it with another Elizabeth bakery/pizzeria?
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#73 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

They do bake there own bread.. Like someone said, its after four.. They had two loaves ready to go, but i am leaving tomorrow on business and have so much food to eat as is ..

#74 Taboni

Taboni
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

The bread is very good, but I have been getting very good bread from Carmen's on Chestnut St in Union for years and its alot closer to home. Try the Sicilian pie, the crust is more like a focaccia than the normal sicilian crust you find.
Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

#75 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

So today it was soul food.. Went to

Posted Image

Nerias's Soul Kitchen
216 Second St
Elizabeth NJ 07206
908-282-4416

This place has been open for maybe 6 months.. I had gone when they first opened and they were still feeling things out.. Today I went and it was a lot better.. They have daily specials along with their regular menu.. Some items that look good are the short ribs, turkey wings, and their fried whiting.. They also have similar sandwiches.. I got the oxtail in a brown gravy over rice.. You have the option of picking two sides, I went Collard and Mac.. They also have yams, cabbage, blackeyed peas, lima beans, potato salad, creamed corn, or fries..

The oxtail pieces were plentiful as well as the mac and collard.. This easily could provide two people with a meal.. The oxtail came in a brown sauce that was thick, rich, and had a real strong celery presence.. They used more butter in this mac then i would ever, so it was obviously really good.. So buttery that besides the puddle left in the styrofoam, * the noodles would slip off my teeth when i went to bite them*.. Collard greens were good.. Not vinegary enough for me, I really like places that have the little peppers in the vinegar sauce..

Posted Image
All in all the place is good not great, but i need to try other things before being sure.. I.E The whiting in special batter.. Its clean, people are friendly, and the food is honest.. Tastes homemade and prepared with love..There are two other soul food places on my list that I will be reporting on when i get the chance..

*Denotes exaggeration

Edited by Daniel, 14 July 2005 - 10:11 AM.

#76 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:46 AM

So today it was soul food.. Went to

Posted Image

Nerias's Soul Kitchen
216 Second St
Elizabeth NJ 07206
908-282-4416

This place has been open for maybe 6 months.. I had gone when they first opened and they were still feeling things out.. Today I went and it was a lot better.. They have daily specials along with their regular menu.. Some items that look good are the short ribs, turkey wings, and their fried whiting.. They also have similar sandwiches.. I got the oxtail in a brown gravy over rice.. You have the option of picking two sides, I went Collard and Mac.. They also have yams, cabbage, blackeyed peas, lima beans, potato salad, creamed corn, or fries.. 

The oxtail pieces were plentiful as well as the mac and collard.. This easily could provide two people with a meal..  The oxtail came in a brown sauce that was thick, rich, and had a real strong celery presence..  They used more butter in this mac then i would ever, so it was obviously really good.. So buttery that besides the puddle left in the styrofoam, * the noodles would slip off my teeth when i went to bite them*..  Collard greens were good..  Not vinegary enough for me, I really like places that have the little peppers in the vinegar sauce..

Posted Image
All in all the place is good not great, but i need to try other things before being sure.. I.E The whiting in special batter.. Its clean, people are friendly, and the food is honest.. Tastes homemade and prepared with love..There are two other soul food places on my list that I will be reporting on when i get the chance..

*Denotes exaggeration

View Post

Hi Daniel,

Is this the one on the corner of 2nd and Bond - the pictures look good. I hope one of the others that is on your list is Shack's on East Grand St. - their food is very good. If you try it, please post about it.

And good luck on your upcoming trip. I enjoy your posts about your travels so much.

#77 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:21 AM

Sure, twist my arm why dont you..

Shack's
1160 E. Grand St.
Elizabeth New Jersey

It just so happens that I need to renew my passport so I had to run over to the post office.. Right across the street from the Elizabeth Court House and Police Station there is this little restaurant.. There are some tables and chairs in there, but it seems like its a place that mostly does take out..

edit to add: Hey thats me in the window.
Posted Image

Looking at the menu, it is very similar to the place I went to yesterday.. Do to the better area its in, its a little more expensive.. The oxtail here is 11 bucks, yesterday it was 9.50.. I was going to order it so I could do a side by side comparison, but I am not that hungry.. Anyway, I was quickly greeted by an extremely nice woman.. I ordered the brisket and was told it wasnt ready yet.. I then went rib sandwich and mac and cheese.. I also got a huge cup of their super sweet southern tea.. After talking to the woman and the older woman cooking in the back, I knew this place was going to be great.. When the ribs came out the older woman cooking came over and asked me if i wanted xtra bbq sauce.. I said do you have a spicy sauce.. She then added hot sauce and their bbq sauce together.. Yeh, this women is a pro..

So here are the ribs.. They are excellent.. Sweet, spicy, not smokey, but done really well. I love their bbq sauce.. They taste almost how they look... .. If this isnt the best thing they have there, then I cant wait to try everything.. I am very impressed by them...

Posted Image

The mac and cheese is also very good.. Infact, this is the best mac and cheese I have ever had at a soul food place.. It is the best mac and cheese I have had outside of making it myself, or having some tricky version.. Very cheesey, not dry, just fantastic..

Posted Image

There sweet tea is comparable to the tea I miss from my roadtrips through the south..

All in all the place is great.. Might have to throw this spot into the weekly rotation.. This place exemplifies southern or down home cooking.. Its made with love, its made with care, It's "Little pink houses for you and me" and it comes through in the food..

Edited by Daniel, 15 July 2005 - 10:31 AM.

#78 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:41 AM

Tmus,

Can you tell me what you have gotten there and whats your favorite thing..

#79 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

Tmus,

Can you tell me what you have gotten there and whats your favorite thing..

View Post

Well, lets see - their fish is very good - and they give you a lot of it. I also like their spicy chopped bbq chicken - I think they call it Jamaican chopped chicken or something like that. If you wanted your ribs spicy - this dish may be right up your alley. As for sides, my son is a candied yam fanatic and he gets that every time, and I mean double yams. They are consistently good. Their collards are also good, only minor complaint is they don't cut them small enough which means the leaves are pretty big. Oh, and my son's other recommendation is their watermelon lemonade, although I think its either a love it or hate it type of thing. Only thing I would steer clear of is their peach cobbler/sweet potatoe pie, everything else - full speed ahead. So glad you liked it. From your previous threads it looks like you have sampled alot of stuff in E'town, but let me know if you need any other recommendations.

Oh yeah - the lady at the counter is extremely friendly isn't she. Very big on customer service, equally with newbies and regulars.

#80 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

Watermelon lemonade huh, that sounds awesome.. I might have to make that into an "evening" drink if the daytime version is good...

This thread is not for me, I was hoping other people would share their lunch experiences... I would love to hear all of your recommendations. Since I work there most days, I am a captive audience.. I really think Elizabeth is a such a interesting town..

Is the Jamaican chopped chicken a jerk relative? or is it just a spicy bbq sauce.

#81 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

Watermelon lemonade huh, that sounds awesome.. I might have to make that into an "evening" drink if the daytime version is good...

This thread is not for me, I was hoping other people would share their lunch experiences... I would love to hear all of your recommendations.  Since I work there most days, I am a captive audience.. I really think Elizabeth is a such a interesting town..

Is the Jamaican chopped chicken a jerk relative? or is it just a spicy bbq sauce.

View Post

I think it might be distantly related to the jerk, but it is definetly spicy and very good.

I don't know if there are many e-gulleters in Elizabeth, but actually this thread is what brought me to Egullet, so it is my favorite. I grew up and still live there. I kow you mentioned looking for Spanish food - my new favorite is Manny's on Frelinghuysen Ave., but that may be a little far for you. There is a great cuban restaurant on Elizabeth Ave - forget the name but I will check and post later. Thinking right near you, there is a pizza place on 3rd Street two blocks after Bond St. on the left, they have the best BBQ Chicken Pizza around. As you probably already know, the neighborhood you are in aint the greatest, but after seeing you sitting on your trunk eating BBQ in Chicago was it at 1:00 a.m. - I see such things won't stop you in your quest. :smile: Oh, one more recommendation sort of near Shack's - there is a greek guy who has this little diner on Jefferson Ave. (in between East Jersey St. and Elizabeth Ave.), most days he him or his wife are outside with a cart with some of the best shiskabob - oh boy are they good and cheap.

#82 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

Today I had to go back to the Post Office because i screwed something up on my application.. So while driving back to the office a passed another place i have been wanting to try..

Chez Maguy Restaurant..
1122 East Grand ST.

Its about a block closer to Route 1 then Shack's.. Sorry no outside photo..

The place is a little more run down the Shack's from the outside.. When you go in its not the nicest place, but it looks clean and there are tables.. The menu is very limited.. The only have Poulet, Cabrit, Lugume, Griot, Tassor, or Lambi.. Yeh, i dont know what those are either, and the peoples english wasnt the best..

I pointed at the Griot and she baaahed.. So i am thinking its goat.. hehe..

For eight bucks I got so much food one picture wouldnt fit it..

This dish is pretty good.. Its stewed goat with onions.. The sauce is meaty and really flavorfull..

Posted Image

Fried plantains are excellent.. I saw her peal the plantain and fry it into cakes.. Good stuff.. And five patties..

Posted Image

The rice was like a dirty rice with beans.. Really good and went well when i poured the sauce over it..

Posted Image

The salad havent tried.. Not pushing my luck..

Posted Image

This place is a good change up.. I will try other things from here, but first need to make myself more familiar with the language.. Nice little spot though..

#83 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Tmus,

Is the pizza place you are talking about Mario's Famous.. That is a favorite of my Dads as well as a lot of people in my office.. I get there sundried chicken roll it, which is very good there.. Also have you been to Chicks Seafood yet.. Its a great little place..

#84 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

Tmus,

Is the pizza place you are talking about Mario's Famous.. That is a favorite of my Dads as well as a lot of people in my office.. I get there sundried chicken roll it, which is very good there.. Also have you been to Chicks Seafood yet.. Its a great little place..

View Post

Yes - Mario's, don't know how I couldn't remember that. And no, I have not tried Chicks Seafood, but I have a few days off this week so I may make my way down there. I am very surprised by your pictures from Chez Maguy. Knowing the building I would never expect such good looking food to come out of there. I may give the a try. Thanks for the pictures.

#85 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

I am surprised too.. Let me tell you, when i first saw the place a few years ago, it might have been in another location, or I am getting it confused with another Hatian spot.. Either way, I didnt expect to see a Chez anything around there.. So its kind of funny in that respect to see a Chez in a rough neighborhood.. But yes, dont let the Chez fool ya, its no cutesy little black tie restaurant .. This is E-town baby, recognize!!! :angry:

Edited by Daniel, 19 July 2005 - 01:24 PM.

#86 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

I am surprised too.. Let me tell you, when i first saw the place a few years ago, it might have been in another location, or I am getting it confused with another Hatian spot.. Either way, I didnt expect to see a Chez anything around there.. So its kind of funny in that respect to see a Chez in a rough neighborhood.. But yes, dont let the Chez fool ya, its no cutesy little black tie restaurant .. This is E-town baby, recognize!!!  :angry:

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Daniel, I think you are spending a little too much time in my hometown. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But in honor of you knowing the language, I am going to check out Chez Maguy either tomorrow or Friday and will report back. Actually, my kids have friends who can translate for me, so I'll have a little advantage with the language. I know from other posts that you don't always work in E'town and also that you have another road trip coming up as well as a trip to China - so whenever you do get something exciting for lunch here, please continue to post, and in the mean time, I will continue to await your road trip threads.

Teresa

#87 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

I can honestly tell you that the best food out of the places I went to are Chick's Seafood and Portugal BBQ.. Which are right next to each other.. Chick's is actually really nice inside as well..

Thank you.. For the kind words.. I will keep up my E-town posts..

#88 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

So today I felt I wanted to show the place where i normally eat when I have a lot going on that day.. Its about a 2 minute walk away from my office, just through that hole in the buildings..

The place is called Georges Lunch.. We affectionately call it (Hor-hays) The place is a little box of a place.. I think they also have two or three lunch trucks that drive around town.. Its really not a place anyone should go to..Its really cheap and they have really good coffee. They have frozen patty burgers where the buns are too big. They have processed veal parm patties, they use the microwave a lot.. The chicken soup in the winter is homemade.. They have a decent gyro.. And cheap roast chicken with beans and rice.

Posted Image

I am gearing up from my 11 day eating frenzy road trip so I am dieting.. I am taking trim spa, eating dry turkey sandwiches on rye and cutting out beer.

Even the monkeys cant believe I am eating this crap..

Posted Image

#89 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:26 AM

Majestic Lunch
1133 Elizabeth Avenue
Elizabeth NJ

I was parking in the lot of the El Salvadorian place when from across the street I spotted Majestic Lunch.. As you can see from the photo, its hard to pass this up.

Posted Image

It might have bothered me all weekend if I didnt go in to try this chili dog they speak of.

Posted Image

This place could easily be called the Majestic Diner as well.. It is a long narrow place with a huge counter space... Besides chili dogs and burgers they have a huge selection.. They have daily specials, pork chops, breakfast, everything under the sun.. Its worked by an old sweet Greek couple who have to be in there late 70's early eighties.. Place looks like a lot of things could be really good..

Posted Image

Started out with a chili dog with mustard and onions.. The chili is fanastic.. Really peppery, meaty, it goes really well with the mustard.. The dog is a grilled Sarbrets... The bun is right out of the package.. I am willing to put this against Tom or Jerry's chili dog..

Posted Image

The burger was served with cheese and grilled onions.. The bun was grilled.. It was a real decent burger.. Nothing really to it, not flavored, just a grilled patty.. The onions were fried well.. No bells and whistles, just a good honest burger..

Posted Image

Those two things and a coke.. $4.30.. Place makes a really good chili dog.. Would love to hear other peoples opinions or suggestions as to what else to order there..

Edit: First week back from Roadtrip.. Might have to get back into the dry turkey sandwich no beer mode for a little bit.. Things are starting not to fit so good.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel, 09 September 2005 - 09:59 AM.

#90 TMus1111

TMus1111
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

[quote name='Daniel' date='Sep 9 2005, 11:26 AM']
Majestic Lunch
1133 Elizabeth Avenue
Elizabeth NJ

Oh Daniel - just looking at your post makes me want to leave work and get over to Majestic. The only other thing I can recommend from here other than there outstanding chili dog and burger is breakfast food. Don't know how you might feel about eating breakfast for lunch - but their eggs and potatoes, toast and any kind of meat are worth the trip. What memories that place brings back. I went to high school around the corner and never once in 4 years did I eat lunch at school - so I have eaten at almost every place in that vicinity. And the Greek couple there are sweet, I think they used to own a Greek stand inside of the Flea Market in Union many years ago before it closed. Another great Greek couple are right around the corner from where you were - Jefferson Ave. there is a guy with shishkebobs outside, I've been eating them for years and they still taste great everytime.

I went to Chick's Seafood a few weeks ago for dinner. Thanks for the recommendation. Very good and a slightly different taste than the two places I live near (Valencia and Algarve).

P.S. Speaking of your road trip, did I miss the post/pictures. I have been waiting anxiously.