Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Johnnybird's Toast Dope

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image
Johnnybird and Suzilightning... haven't taken the opportunity to tell you how much I love this stuff... it's my current favorite addiction! Do you keep a supply in the fridge? What's the shelf life?
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#2 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:46 PM

I have a lovely little jar of this stuff that my sister made from tangelos that were particularly pretty. This is my new favorite thing. She made it using the raw sugar from a friend whose family still grows sugar cane in Louisiana. I just keep it on the kitchen counter.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#3 Mudpuppie

Mudpuppie
  • participating member
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:50 AM

It looks like a bowl of... yellow stuff.

What is it?
amanda
Googlista

#4 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

Raw sugar, citrus rind and spices. You sprinkle it on buttered toast, oatmeal, whatever.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#5 WolfChef

WolfChef
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:11 PM

Did a search for "toast dope" and found nothing relevant as to a recipe. So can you fill us in? Spices is rather vague. I love orange marmalade on toast and this looks interesting.
A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

#6 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:15 PM

suzilightning will have to enlighten us. My sister just added stuff until it "looked right". First she took off the zest with a microplane. Then she added cinnamon, nutmeg and I think some cardamom just because it seemed like a good idea at the time. At first, it was a little bitter but that mellowed after a day or so.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

#7 Andrew Fenton

Andrew Fenton
  • participating member
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:20 PM

I mixed up a batch of this (sugar, cinnamon, clementine zest- be sure to wash the clementines first) a month ago. I've kept it in the fridge and it has stayed good all that time.

In addition to toast, it works great in oatmeal.

#8 Mudpuppie

Mudpuppie
  • participating member
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:23 PM

suzilightning will have to enlighten us. My sister just added stuff until it "looked right". First she took off the zest with a microplane. Then she added cinnamon, nutmeg and I think some cardamom just because it seemed like a good idea at the time. At first, it was a little bitter but that mellowed after a day or so.

Sounds really good.

I'm making this soon, and will add coriander.
amanda
Googlista

#9 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:32 PM

Here are the (approximate amounts of) ingredients for this batch:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons raw sugar
Finely grated zest of one orange
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
A few fresh gratings of nutmeg

So far I've used it just on buttered toast, and I'm looking forward to having it on oatmeal, some morning this week. Yum it's good.

#10 Johnnybird

Johnnybird
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

It is so strange to see your screen name on the computer.

Susan in FL has the proportions right over all but you can include whatever spices you like though there has to be some kind of citrus zest and cinnamon included.

The latest batch from northwest New Jersey is

1 oz granulated sugar
1 oz raw sugar
zest of 1 mandarin orange
.5 oz cinnamon
8 scrapes of nutmeg
.25 oz allspice

I will let you know how this goes by Sunday.
"Let's do another bad one 'cause I like it when the blood drains from Dave's face"
"Pickle -ickle - ickle"
Warren Zevon

#11 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:40 PM

I guess I really am a fan of this stuff! Check this out... tonight we fried some ripe plantains and I used it. I breaded sliced plantains using some flour, matzo meal, toast dope, and a little cumin, and sauteed them in butter. Yum! ...A really nice mix of sweet and savory.

#12 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:48 PM

I guess I really am a fan of this stuff! Check this out... tonight we fried some ripe plantains and I used it. I breaded sliced plantains using some flour, matzo meal, toast dope, and a little cumin, and sauteed them in butter. Yum! ...A really nice mix of sweet and savory.

susan

i think we may be able to find a 12 step program to help you.

though i look at this stuff as a sweet version of curry powder. everyone makes their own and it is unique to each family.

actually john came across a formula he had done a while ago and noticed he also had used ground cloves. he's on tdy right now but due back monday and out of toast dope so guess who had to go out to buy fresh citrus and ground cloves??

actually works real well in a mandarin orange and cranberry coffee cake too....

maybe we will be able to exchange bottles of dope when we are in florida next month :laugh:
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#13 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 08:10 PM

i think we may be able to find a 12 step program to help you.

LOL! ...One of those problems it feels so good to have.

Coming to Florida!? ...PM or email me if you might want to meet and exchange toast dope!

#14 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:12 PM

If I kept track of all the ways I've used Johnnybird's Toast Dope, I would be able to publish a cookbook about the stuff.
...Used it in an orange french toast recipe this morning, and sauteed apples in butter and Toast Dope recently and then put vanilla ice cream on top.
Another thing I love when I have a slight sweet tooth late at night is buttered popcorn with Toast Dope on it, and to drink bubbly with it.

#15 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:40 AM

Bumping this back up just because "toast dope" has become a staple around here. We use a sugar from a good friend that has a sugar plantation in Louisiana. The funny part of it is that my nephew, the attorney, includes this in his gift baskets to clients and friends. However, he refuses to use the term "toast dope." For obvious reasons, I guess. He calls it "seasoned sugar."

I do find that you have to keep it in the fridge or it might get some mold.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

#16 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:26 AM

Bumping this back up just because "toast dope" has become a staple around here. We use a sugar from a good friend that has a sugar plantation in Louisiana. The funny part of it is that my nephew, the attorney, includes this in his gift baskets to clients and friends. However, he refuses to use the term "toast dope." For obvious reasons, I guess. He calls it "seasoned sugar."

View Post

gee, fifi - if the nephew practices(d) criminal or as a pd he would know dope
:rolleyes: . if any consolation johnnybird's dad is an attorney - and we give him bathches of this stuff prominantly labeled...

Joe Gould

#17 hjshorter

hjshorter
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

Just made this with vanilla sugar. Delicious! Edit to say I also used a little ground cloves, and it's really good on plain yogurt.

Edited by hjshorter, 18 January 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Heather Johnson
In Good Thyme

#18 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

What is the reasoning behind using raw sugar? Looks? Texture? Or is there some food-related scientific reasoning?

#19 azureus

azureus
  • participating member
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

Can you add dried, ground citrus rind, or would that be considered cheating?

April
One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

#20 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Can you add dried, ground citrus rind, or would that be considered cheating?

April

View Post

why not? toast dope(johnnybird pm'd me that he is using the word
dope to mean good) is whatever tastes good to you.

john has made it with both refined white sugar and raw. i like the dope made with raw sugar better for baking and making streusels; john likes the white sugar on toast because it kinda melts a bit like the crust of a brulee when he pops it into the microwave to heat up at work.

Joe Gould

#21 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

View Post

I'm glad you bumped this topic, since I missed it the first time around. Can't wait to try it! Do you find it makes a difference, with the type of oranges/mandarins/clementines used?

I have a feeling this would be good in hot tea. And I know I'll like it on baked sweet potatoes.

Popcorn, really? I'll have to try that, too.

#22 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Yeah really, about the popcorn... Not all the time, but when it's a sweet treat.
I'm glad this was bumped up, too. I just finished my last batch, sprinkling some on toasted whole wheat cinnamon-raisin English muffins.
I haven't yet tasted a big difference between different citruses used, but I'll start paying attention to that. I've got a variety of Florida oranges and tangerines right now. 'Tis the season! I bet it is good on sweet potatoes, if you like sweet potatoes.

#23 christine007

christine007
  • participating member
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

I didn't see this thread until I realized I'd already done this.
I made homemade raisin bread yesterday, it came out beautiful, light, fluffy, nice crust, a perfect loaf! I love to bake in colder weather.. anyway, I tasted the bread and decided right away as wonderful as it was, it just was not sweet enough. So I got some really good margarine and beat in a little vanilla and confectioner's sugar. After a LOT of beating, I got a smooth, wonderful sweet spread. I put that on the raisin bread, HEAVEN! So good.
Looking forward to tomorrow morning when I will toast the bread and use my own version of dope.
I know I could add citrus peel, spices, etc, but right now, I'm enjoying it just the way it is.
How funny I would fine this thread today, after I'd already made my dope! :laugh:
---------------------------------------

#24 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

I read this thread ... ran to kitchen and made the dope using my gram scale and I think 15 gms( .5oz) of cinnamon is too much... - run back and reread the thread- 1/2 TB in another post ...- that works if I double sugars and but I don't have another tangerine so it'll have to be a Meyer lemon ... not bad but not sublime. Post this and then decide to have some on toast.. back out to kitchen which now smells sublime and and mix is tasting better. If nothing else this will be fabulous in homemade sticky buns, however hot buttered toast with dope gets consumed quickly and now I need another one to check on the aging process. Do you think 15 minutes is enough :hmmm: . I think I'll make a batch for small gifts for my gourmet group as a post holiday dinner present.

BTW - How does aging effect the mix?

#25 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

Lunch today provided new information: it's great on a peanut butter sandwich. Can't wait to try it on peanut butter toast.

Some crumbs fell out of the sandwich and onto my banana... mmmmmmmmm :biggrin:

I'm thinking it would have to be good on steamed or sauteed carrots.

I'm going to try it in coffee.

Edited by jgm, 19 January 2006 - 12:28 PM.

#26 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

I sprinkle some on a raw apple wedges very nice. Also mine is much darker than the initial photo up thread.

#27 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

Yes, mine is darker also. Perhaps the photo doesn't have as much cinnamon? It looks as if it's primarily sugar and orange peel.

#28 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Inspired by the new toast thread, I finally made Johnnybird's toast dope. Ohhhhh, mannnnn! That is some good stuff. When Mr. Kim came in the door tonight, I didn't even let him take off his coat before I made him a piece of toast w/ dope. We loves us some dope now!!!

#29 lilsouthernhottie

lilsouthernhottie
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:55 AM

It's 5am...and I am sitting here eating buttered toast...topped with my newly minted toast dope. :biggrin:

Mention of toast dope on peanut butter sandwiches makes me wonder...how good would a toast dope enhanced fluffernutter be? mmm...I think I'll have one for breakfast. :laugh:
Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

#30 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hmm.. I bet this would be good added to a plain pound cake or shortbread recipe.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog