Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Weekend trip to Napa Valley

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

My husband and I are planning a weekend trip to Napa Valley in July.  Would like to get recommendations for new/exciting places to eat.  We go there relatively regularly and I always want to visit same places.  Mustards grill for lunch, Auberge du Soleil for early dinner (mostly for the view), Terra, Redd, you get the idea.  Had an amazing dinner in French Laundry, only mildly spoiled by my dining companions reciting their food preferences/dislikes (this was corporate event, I did not know these people prior to dinner).  This time I decided to go to completely different set of places for two lunches and two dinners.

What is everyone's favorite restaurant in Wine country?  Winery recommendations would be great too.

Thanks.

P.S.  I realize that  not wanting to eat in outstanding restaurants just for the sake of variety is silly but new discoveries are awaiting...

#2 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

CIA at Greystone. Also had a good meal at Lucy in Yountville.

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

I second CIA, and have always enjoyed Bistro Don Giovanni, although it's been a couple of years since I've been there.

.... Shel

#4 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,339 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Here's my personal Do Not Miss:  http://www.pragerport.com/

And I never do.

Also never miss a stop at Rancho Gordo's terrific store on Yajome St in Napa:

http://www.ranchogor...et_schedule.htm

#5 cyalexa

cyalexa
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

http://healdsburgshed.com

The cafe in Healdsburg Shed is different and fun.

#6 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Bottega and redd are hot in Yountville ...I likedCIA.. But myself time was hanging out at Solage. Incalistoga...eating lunch and playing bocci ball
Its good to have Morels

#7 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Oh...drinking..tooo
Its good to have Morels

#8 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

We spend a few days in Napa every summer.

Goose & Gander for the excellent gruyere burger and innovative + delicious cocktails.
Redd Wood for salads (especially the spring vegetables with green goddess dressing), bucatini pasta and meatballs. Skip the desserts.
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen for the Oysters Bingo and Duck Tostada (and cornbread!).

#9 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Finally we are in Napa!  I cook excessively so on trips like this we splurge on eating out.  DH agrees that it is better than buying shoes.

Lunch in St. Francis winery.  Five courses with wine pairing for 50 dollars which I find extremely reasonable.

Burrata with Mizuna salad (I swear it was arugula) and pickled peaches.

Zuccini wrapped halibut.  They proudly announced that it was cooked sous vide at 142 degrees and as I thought it was overcooked (at least for my liking).

Chicken roulade with panchetta and grains.

Strip steak with smoked baked potato.  Steak was medium rare.

Broiled figs with blue cheese.

Attached Images

• 140712 002 St Francis Burrata Pickled Peaches.JPG
  • 140712 005 St Francis Halibut.JPG
  • 140712 007 St Francis Chicken.JPG
  • 140712 008 St Francis Beef.JPG
  • 140712 009 St Francis Dessert.JPG

• Shelby and teonzo like this

#10 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

And dinner at Farmhouse Inn.  Food was very well cooked but somehow had old fashioned feel to it.  We were also eating next to a very prominent politician who ran for Presidential nomination twice some years back.

Melon soup with dried prosciutto on the rim of the cup for amuse bouche.

Salmon for DH, octopus for me for the first course.

Pork chop for DH for main course, probably the best pork I ever tasted.  Rabbit  rabbit rabbit for me.  It is their signature dish and includes loin, rack, and leg confit.

For dessert we shared Market tart (insert a joke) and cheese course.

I had wine pairing with my meal and they served three different wines with savory courses and not one but two wines with cheese.  

Attached Images

• 140712 010 Farmhouse Tomato Water.JPG
  • 140712 011 Farmhouse Salmon Beets.JPG
  • 140712 012 Farmhouse Octopus (1).JPG
  • 140712 014 Farmhouse Pork Chop (1).JPG
  • 140712 013 Farmhouse Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit.JPG
  • 140712 015 Farmhouse Market Tart.JPG
  • 140712 016 Farmhouse Cheese.JPG

• Shelby and teonzo like this

#11 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

And as was recommended in this thread I stopped at Rancho Gordo store in Napa.  I wanted to buy everything.  Twice.  Had to limit myself to a few nice packages.  Especially excited about casoulet beans.

Attached Images

• photo.JPG

• Jaymes, Smithy and Shelby like this

#12 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

Newfangled or old-fashioned, the meals both look excellent. I don't suppose you made notes on the wines with which each dish was paired, did you?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#13 sculptor

sculptor
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, this is a bit late for a "July" visit, but eating at The Restaurant at Meadowood in Saint Helena should be on your bucket list. This restaurant is considered by many as the best in the country.

#14 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Oh so sad.  Tried to make reservations there but they only had "wednesday at 5 PM" or something like that.  There is always next time!