Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Wine Are You Drinking Today?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Interesting technology but apparently it depends on the cork being intact.  I've heard that you should recork bottles every twenty years or so, but recorking isn't always practical.

Yes, the cork must be intact. As I mentioned above, once the bottle is opened, the oxidation process begins and no known technology can change that.

Most wines are opened within a 20-year time frame anyway. The expensive wines age and eventually deteriorate in the bottle just like the cheapies. Great wines simply take longer to do it. For those relatively few bottles worth recorking, I'm sure the zillionaires can afford to have the bottles properly preserved. :smile:

Edited by djyee100, 17 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#62 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

A rosé from Southern California, 2013 Presqu'ile Pinot Noir Rosé, Santa Maria Valley. 100% pinot noir, stainless steel fermented. I normally don't like rosé, but I like this one. Crisp and zesty, plenty of acidity but it's not harsh. Rounder on the palate compared to other rosés I've tried. Good balance, firm, fruity (for a rosé). Starts off watermelon and turns into apple. Mineral in the finish. Also some alcohol heat in the finish, but it's not a flaw. Very pretty, jewel-like color of coral pink--I kept holding up my glass to look at it. Easy drinking on the patio, this wine would match well with charcuterie and finger foods.

#63 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

With dinner this evening a lovely methode Rotuts faux champagne.  Better even than the 1985 Cordon Rouge of a couple nights ago.

#64 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hard to go wrong with Otago pinot noir, in my experience. Even when it's bad it's like pizza or shagging, you know?

Nanny Goat Vineyard 2012. Fruity: raspberry, blackberry. Fresh. Easy drinking. Clean tannins. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between