Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Xiao Long Bao Experiment

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

I found the recipe and post from rarerollingobject too late for my experiment this past weekend. I will refer to her the next session.

This was my first attempt while my s-i-l was out for the weekend. He's a big Scottish lad who loves dim sum. While my daughter is away on a course, he wanted to try his hand on these dumplings and surprise her when she gets home this weekend.

The filling and gelatin were spot on. The wrappers definitely need thinning out. Not too shabby for a first attempt. We ate many of these taste testing, so it ended up being an all day lunch or supper... :laugh: 

If anyone has a great recipe for the wrappers or tried and true technique, please share!

Gelatin was made from 2 skin-on pork hocks, the bone and skin from a fresh pork picnic, big nob of ginger, scallions, and 1 pkg of unflavoured gelatin to 4 cups stock.

Gelatin0373.jpg

Filling was ground pork, shrimp, scallions, white pepper, Chinese cooking wine, grated ginger, salt, and soy sauce. We incorporated small bits of gelatin in the meat as well as adding a small cube on top before pleating and closing the wrapper.

XiaoLongBaoFilling0385.jpg

The baos got smaller and pleats were better as the experiment progressed

RawXiaoLongBao0387.jpg

TRayXiaoLongBaos0381.jpg

There was a fair bit of soup in the baos, but the wrapper needs to be thinner. We didn't eat many of the wrappers, but the meat and soup were great! The granddogs enjoyed some of the wrappers. :biggrin:

XiaoLongBaoSoup0398.jpg

XLBMeat&Broth0400.jpg

Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

They look very good, really. These are just one of those things you have to practice for a while to perfect. But, you are clearly going down the right path.

• Dejah likes this