Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bubble in thermometer...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Anyone ever experience this problem before? 

I've got a nice Matfer confectionary thermometer that isn't accurate anymore because ther is a bubble in the "bulb",and when the temp goes up past 100 C (212F) I get a gap in the thin red line.  I've tried putting the thermomter in the freezer overnight, but that doesn't help, and my last option would be to go next door to a cafe with a deep frier and deep try the sucker to it's max , 200 C or +- 385 F.

Any suggestions?

#2 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Replace it.  It's lived out its useful life.

#3 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Is this the metal cage type thermometer?

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Can it be shaken down like a medical thermometer?

#5 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Got rid of the bubble, stood it perfectly upright in the freezer for a few hours and it (bubble) was gone.  DId some searching on-line and found out it is a fairly common problem,(separation, they call it) several websites advise tapping the bulb, smacking it gently in the palm of your hand, or swinging it abrupty.  None of those techniques worked though... I even stood the bulb on the chocolate vibrator for a minute, but that didn't work either.  Standing it upright in the freezer  worked.

The thermometers from Matfer aren't cheap, and are quite large (aprox 9" tall) and robust, I have the s/s 'cage" that slides over it, so I'm not ready to toss it out just yet.  At the moment, I haven't found a "bricks and mortar" store that stocks these thermometers, and I live in a fairly large town.  I know I can get replacements from Matfer or places like Chefrubber, but I'd have to put in an order of at least $150.00 to make it worthwhile to pay for shipping charges.

#6 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

That's awesome you got the bubble out! I'm surpirsed, really. I had my eye on the glass thermometer in the metal cage from matfer for a long time, and I pretty much totally forgot about them. When I put in a big order from jb prince, I ordered a metal cage thermometer, as well as a backup glass thermometer. When the shippment arrived the backup glass thermometer was leaking inside the package, but the one already inside the metal cage looked fine, but when I tested it in boiling water, the temp registered about 88c. So that was quite frustrating, I wasn't expecting that whatsoever, usually when it comes to pastry products, Ive always loved matfer above other products. The people at jb prince kindly refunded me and said I didn't have to send the thermometers back, so I've had a cage thermometer for a while that just sort hangs there hahaha. I guess I just got two duds. Glad you got yours back in working condition!

Edited by minas6907, 24 December 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#7 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm glad you got it fixed, Edward.  There's nothing worse than being without a vital tool.