Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Shortbread cookies - mixed by hand or machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

A friend recently gave me her Mother's wonderful shortbread cookie recipe and advised me that that the sugar and butter had to be creamed by hand and then the flour mixed in by hand also...or else the cookies would not be the same as her Mother's were.

Could this be true?  And why should it be so?

BTW, I creamed by hand mixer and mixed by hand and the shortbreads were exquisite. 

Edited by Darienne, 21 December 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#2 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've always used a mixer and mine comes out just fine.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#3 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Did you notice a difference between the ones you creamed by hand and the ones you made with a mixer? It doesn't seem that your friend was saying they wouldn't be good if you used a mixer. They'd still be good, just not the same as her mother's. The difference would be in the texture, since using a mixer would incorporate a bit more air. If your friend is used to eating them the way her mother always made them, she might be able to tell the difference whereas others might not.

I keep searching for the "perfect" shortbread cookie. I've never met a shortbread I didn't like, but I have yet to find one that made me feel the search was over. Are you able to share your friend's recipe?

#4 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first post.  I creamed the butter and sugar by hand mixer and then mixed the flour in by hand.  Two processes in one batch of cookies.

And my friend pronounced my cookies as excellent.  She doesn't have time to make cookies this year and so maybe she was just being a tad kind.  Don't know.

I'll pm you the recipe.

• judiu likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#5 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

I always make shortbread in the mixer.  No way am I creaming butter by hand.  My arm would give out first.

• judiu likes this

#6 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks all.  I suspect we are talking 'urban myth'. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#7 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Or "Old Wives Tale" since Granny didn't have a mixer.

#8 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

I would love to have the recipe too :)

please.

#9 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

I always make shortbread in the mixer.  No way am I creaming butter by hand.  My arm would give out first.

I can't believe that at one point I used to do all my baking by hand. I must have had muscles!

• annabelle likes this

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?