Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#61 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

No, not that thing - I know what that is.

Jeff included his business card.  I'm not sure if a photo would do it justice.  It's plastic, mostly translucent, with all but the 'A' of Anova transparent (the A is orange) and the vital information in black.  Jeff's job title is 'He Who Wears Many Hats'.  Quite wonderful.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#62 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Cool!

#63 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Are international users supplying their own power cord?

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#64 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

I just placed an order for a second Anova unit.  My bride (fortunately) decided that she liked the black body of the black unit more than she liked the white body of the red unit.

So, another black unit should be on the way shortly.   We have a New Years Day open house at our place, and sous vide techniques will feature prominently  in this years menu.

Having two (or more) unit will help us serve dishes that require different cooking/holding temperatures.   We may even ask to borrow a friends submersible bubbling system for a third holding tank... can't have too many toys at one's fingertips.

Edited by alanz, 21 November 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#65 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

I am waiting for my sous vide supreme to die before I can buy another one.  Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.  I must say that the 24 Chuck Roast I had last night was absolutely perfect -- medium rare and held together ever so slightly -- texture, but so tender -- on par with filet.  

#66 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just placed an order for a second Anova unit.  My bride (fortunately) decided that she liked the black body of the black unit more than she liked the white body of the red unit.

So, another black unit should be on the way shortly.   We have a New Years Day open house at our place, and sous vide techniques will feature prominently  in this years menu.

Having two (or more) unit will help us serve dishes that require different cooking/holding temperatures.   We may even ask to borrow a friends submersible bubbling system for a third holding tank... can't have too many toys at one's fingertips.

No you can't! (say's the woman with an Anova, a Sous vide magic and a Nomiku)

#67 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Kerry, I figured that if I got two of the same units, I might be able to start breeding them. 

However with my luck, when the second unit arrives, it will be the same gender as the first <vbg>

#68 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'll get crossbreeds - who knows what a Anomiku or a Nommagic might look like!

#69 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Are international users supplying their own power cord?

No, mine came with an Australia/NZ style one.  I suspect they add a cord with the appropriate plug for each destination.

But in any case, it's a standard computer-style connector at the Anova end.  Such cords are common, and have been known to breed in captivity.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#70 goodgood

goodgood
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

I am glad I canceled my Sansaire order and got a couple of Anova's last month. It looks like the Sansaire won't be released until Jan 30, according to their website.

#71 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've found 12x18 (9 deep) Cambro's everywhere

but has anyone found the smaller 10.5x12.7 inch polycarbonate tanks anywhere other than from Polyscience (where they are fairly pricey)?

thanks

#72 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

and now Polyscience has announced its $300 Discovery circulator

http://cuisinetechno...e-discovery.php

no doubt in response to Anova and Sansaire

#73 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Check out any restaurant supply.  

https://cool.cambro....es_Storage.ashx

#74 jmasur

jmasur
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, found one fairly significant (IMHO) design flaw: The clamp doesn't fit properly on a 12x18x9 Cambro.  Guess I'll have to notch the rim.

#75 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

Check out any restaurant supply.  

https://cool.cambro....es_Storage.ashx

none of them (including that link) seem to have the smaller one like the one at Polyscience.

I suspect Cambro, the company, doesn't make it.

#76 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

Well, found one fairly significant (IMHO) design flaw: The clamp doesn't fit properly on a 12x18x9 Cambro.  Guess I'll have to notch the rim.

in what way doesn't it fit?

that WOULD be a fairly large error on their part, and a drag

Edited by weedy, 23 November 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#77 ojisan

ojisan
  • participating member
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

in what way doesn't it fit?

that WOULD be a fairly large error on their part, and a drag

How is this an Anova "design flaw" or "large error"? Anova does not claim compatibility with this particular style Cambro.

FWIW, the Cambro 18CW135 works fine, as does the Cambro 12SFSCW135.

Monterey Bay area

#78 EMG

EMG
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

It fits a 12x18x9 without having to make a notch

Attached Images

• anova-cheese.jpg

#79 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mine has made it as far as UK customs! Very excited.

#80 Jonathon

Jonathon
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thankfully in Australia we have a $1,000 threshold for VAT, so stuff like this goes through customs fairly instantly. Mine made it from Texas, via Chicago and past Australian customs in 4 days. Hopefully it'll arrive at my door in the morning. (Monday)

#81 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thankfully in Australia we have a $1,000 threshold for VAT, so stuff like this goes through customs fairly instantly. Mine made it from Texas, via Chicago and past Australian customs in 4 days. Hopefully it'll arrive at my door in the morning. (Monday)

What, no stopover in Chicago?  It's going to be grumpy to have missed its holiday when it arrives ...

I christened mine over the weekend.  Lovely machine!  Very simple to use and very solid temperature control.

The main test was duck legs, 10 or so hours at 82°C.  At this stage I'm just using a large stock pot covered with foil and I got reasonably significant evaporation by about six hours in, but that's manageable.  A bin is a very-near-future purchase.

My eG Foodblog

#82 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Sorry if it's impertinent to ask, but will you let us know the final price, all in when it gets to you.  

London Boy here is GASing for a circulator this side of Christmas.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#83 Jonathon

Jonathon
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

What, no stopover in Chicago? It's going to be grumpy to have missed its holiday when it arrives ...

Yes no stopover in Chicago and now sitting in my office in Melbourne, looking very well.

Packaging held up pretty well, the smallest dents in the black anova box where it was crammed into the outside box, but who cares about that. The circulator itself is in perfect condition.

The temptation to take it to my office kitchen to try out is very hard to resist...

#84 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

What, no stopover in Chicago? It's going to be grumpy to have missed its holiday when it arrives ...

Yes no stopover in Chicago and now sitting in my office in Melbourne, looking very well.

Packaging held up pretty well, the smallest dents in the black anova box where it was crammed into the outside box, but who cares about that. The circulator itself is in perfect condition.

The temptation to take it to my office kitchen to try out is very hard to resist...

Remember what Oscar Wilde said about the best way to remove temptation.

My eG Foodblog

#85 demo

demo
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

The only part of that long rant that could influence me; has the Anova no CE or UL or other compliance mark?

K

#86 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Sorry if it's impertinent to ask, but will you let us know the final price, all in when it gets to you.  

London Boy here is GASing for a circulator this side of Christmas.

I certainly will.

#87 jmasur

jmasur
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

It fits a 12x18x9 without having to make a notch
I had tried it in the corner on the shirt side without luck. I'll try your positioning. Worst case scenario, I'll make a little shim or something.

Fwiw, for the top, I'm using a piece of Reflectix, cut about an inch larger than the rim, with a cutout for the circulator. Easy as hell, and works lie a charm.

#88 onefeynman

onefeynman
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

What's the wait like for an Anova order to Canada? I deeply regret ordering the sansaire now that I have to wait till February... 

#89 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

A couple of days tops if they have them in stock.

#90 Morkai

Morkai
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

What's the wait like for an Anova order to Canada? I deeply regret ordering the sansaire now that I have to wait till February... 

I live in Washington, D.C. I placed the order last Monday. Shipped on Friday. Estimated to arrive on Wednesday. 

Not so enthralled with customer service, but I understand it's a smaller operation. Sent an e-mail last Tuesday, still haven't received a response. From reading through this thread, I'm not alone with that situation. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist