Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#181 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yesterday found one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00006F2ME

Unused, in original box for $10.
  • Porthos likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#182 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Another RWP Wilton platter, this one for serving dessert to our guild's head table at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. $9.00.

Head Table Dessert Platter.jpg

• judiu likes this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#183 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not exactly thrift store shopping but still wanted to share as these were purchased during a Ladies Who Lunch excursion to J Town, a Japanese shopping enclave in Markham, Ontario.

The plate was from a combination kitchenware store and cafe. The small baking tray and rack and the microwave trivet were from the grocery/bakery/butcher store.

The microwave trivet allows one to heat a bowl of soup and still carry it to the table without fear of a burn. It stays cool. I love shopping in a Japanese kitchenware store. They seem to sell gadgets that solve problems I didin't know I had!
  • barolo, judiu and Porthos like this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#184 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

The small baking tray looks like it just fit in my toaster oven! I love it!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#185 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

attachicon.gif

Not exactly thrift store shopping but still wanted to share as these were purchased during a Ladies Who Lunch excursion to J Town, a Japanese shopping enclave in Markham, Ontario.

Had no idea that shopping mall was there.  I have to go to Markham once a week -- but J Town  is now a destination!  Thank you!

#186 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Today, after lunch, Kerry and I went thrift store shopping and she spotted these two small bowls which I was happy to add to my growing collection.

I hope Kerry will share her finds later.
  • judiu and Porthos like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#187 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

I notice Anna hasn't mentioned the other two bowls she was set to purchase yesterday when I sent them plunging to the ground just before we paid for them.  They did not survive the fall.  She was waffling about buying them anyway!  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

IMG_0994.jpg

So I found a nice little cast iron skillet to replace the one up north - next time I'm doing a hot burn on the Big Green Egg I'll throw it in with the coal to clean it up.

A wooden rolling pin as requested by my brother-in-law, a couple of little loaf pans - always useful.  A little anchor glass bowl - I've broken a couple and still have lids for them (rug rat's lunch goes in them).  And the best piece that Anna spotted - a 9 bottle wine rack that is perfectly compact - just what is called for on my shelving to hold some stray bottles.

• judiu and Porthos like this

#188 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I found a mystery thingie!  It appears to be some kind of mould for producing roses, but I have no idea whether it's intended for use with fondant or cake or what.  I'm hoping one of you wonderful folks knows what it is for sure.

Bears the legend "Wilton 1972" on the top of the hinge, and "Chicago 60643 Made in Korea 510 500" on the bottom.  Appears to be cast aluminum.

MysteryThingie4.jpg

MysteryThingie3.jpg

MysteryThingie1.jpg

MysteryThingie2.jpg

• judiu likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#189 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

A website which might interest you, PanaCan.http://www.wilton.co...threadid=134772

Edited by Darienne, 03 January 2014 - 07:12 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#190 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Yes, that's exactly it!  Thanks, Darienne!

• judiu and Darienne like this

#191 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

Yes, that's exactly it!  Thanks, Darienne!

Mold some pink ice cream and show us!
  • judiu likes this

#192 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't think I have any pink ice cream right now - what better pretext for a trip to the store? :D

• judiu and Darienne like this

#193 grammacake12

grammacake12
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

1016225_10151672354758207_2083442261_n.j

I love this thread!!!, A few months ago I was checking the yard sale ads in our local paper, and spotted one that had a bowl lift Kitchen Aid stand mixer with some attachments, So hubby and I made sure to get there early and it was $125.00. I promptly picked it up and wrote her a check. I didn't really need it, since I have 2 of the smaller ones, but I make a lot of cakes and sometimes had both of the other ones in use at the same time. Plus since this one had a bigger bowl, I found I could make up to 3 recipes at time in it.

• judiu, gfweb and SylviaLovegren like this

Stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!!

#194 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

image.jpg

So Kerry Beal went off to the cheap bookstore in St. Catherines with her hubby and my wish list. She was only able to find one from my list, The Truck Food Cookbook, but Kerry never shows up at my house emptied-handed or even nearly so! This is the haul now sitting on my coffee table. The hardest part is deciding where to start but once I make that decision I will try to give each of them a short review after testing two or three recipes.
  • judiu likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#195 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 795 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Looks like an interesting stash of books. I'll be interested to hear what the Samuelson book is like.

#196 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

IMG_1065.jpg

Was having trouble attaching my Buchner funnel to a vacuum source - Foodsaver was a brilliant idea - alas the connections defeated me.  Found this little baby in a Goodwill - problem solved!

• judiu, gfweb, Porthos and 1 other like this

#197 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

I found this a while back. I think it was at a thrift store, but I'm not really sure. There are no markings, that I can discern. It appears that the wire handle is steel, and that the pan itself is tinned copper and about 6" in diameter. I think that the tin is worn off in spots. The bottom of the pan is not flat in the slightest, and looks like it's seen its fair share of heavy use or abuse.

Any ideas about what this might have been used for, once upon a time?

pan top.jpg

pan bottom.jpg

Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#198 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

I found this a while back. I think it was at a thrift store, but I'm not really sure. There are no markings, that I can discern. It appears that the wire handle is steel, and that the pan itself is tinned copper and about 6" in diameter. I think that the tin is worn off in spots. The bottom of the pan is not flat in the slightest, and looks like it's seen its fair share of heavy use or abuse.

Any ideas about what this might have been used for, once upon a time?

attachicon.gifpan top.jpg

attachicon.gifpan bottom.jpg

Looks like the bottom of a popcorn popper.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#199 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's an old sauce pan which, like many from that era - around the turn of the last century to the 1940s, were made for use on a wood or coal range and the circumference of the bottom would allow it to be set into the opening when one of the range top lids was removed. Just using the pan for beating the contents with a wooden spoon would be enough to round out the bottom of the pan.  I have a couple that look like that and I saw them in use when I was a child. 

Pans like that were made by independent artisans, formed from sheet copper over wooden forms and the top rims turned over the "wire" handle by hand.  The tin lining is easy because tin melts at a fairly low temp and one used to be able to buy re-tinning kits for copper cookware.

I was born and raised in western Kentucky and in the 1940s there was a copper smith who made pot stills (for the legal whiskey makers) and also made cookware somewhat similar to this as a sideline.  He was in business with his brother who made barrels for the whiskey makers.  

My grandmother had one of the large copper "boilers" used for certain types of laundry that was designed for use on a wood/coal kitchen range.

Incidentally, the county in which I was born and grew up was a "dry" county - no liquor, but Cooper Tillson (as he was known) was never short of business.

• judiu, Darienne and SylviaLovegren like this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#200 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

Very cool. Thanks, Andie! You always have good information.

I don't have a wood stove, but I think I will use this particular piece as decoration.

• andiesenji likes this
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#201 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Very cool. Thanks, Andie! You always have good information.

I don't have a wood stove, but I think I will use this particular piece as decoration.

It will make a lovely decorative piece.  If you want to brighten it up, using the "old time" method, just use half a lemon, dipped in salt and rub it on the outside. 

I had the advantage of being able to see the place where copper was being formed into the fat, globe-shaped pot stills when I was about ten, so I recall it fairly well.  The wood forms for various pots and pans were hung on a wall or stacked on the floor but there were none of those being made at the time I was there, just two big pot stills for a licensed bourbon distiller, and I was fascinated by the way they were putting it together. My grandpa had gone there to buy some barrels - but coopering was not as interesting as the copper work.  I wish I had paid more attention, or asked some questions but in those days children were expected to "be seen and not heard." 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

#202 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

I found this Oxo 2.25 Qt tea kettle for $4.49. I like it for the fact that the spout lid auto-opens when you tip it to pour. I have had one before for my ren faire kitchen but, and I can't figure out how, one of the volunteers managed to break it while I was out of the kitchen and someone else tossed it before I even saw it.

IMAG0382.jpg

• judiu likes this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#203 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

DH and I live on a very old farm in the middle of nowhere in the Rollin' Hills of Cavan.  And we don't have garbage pick-up.  So we have to haul the garbage (not recyclables, not compostables, but true trash)  to the local transfer station, affectionately known as the Cavan Mall.

Last week Ed brought back a Proctor-Silex electric citrus juicer which he used with great joy this morning and announced that it extracted much more juice than any other method used so far.  And these were zested limes and lemons.  It looked as if it had never been used at all. 

The accumulation and disposal of equipment never ceases to amaze.

• Smithy likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#204 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

love 'junk' piles like that.  thought they were obsolete 

#205 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Technically not thrift shopping as I bought it from the junk shed at work.
I got tired of waiting for Anova to short their shit out so bought roughly £1000 worth of professional circulator and insulated bath for £100.

I spent the day scrubbing it down and am yet to stick it in some descaler as it beat my iron wool but otherwise it's fully working and now clean.
It runs from Ambient +5 to 95 degrees C on a 1.25kW motor and is made in sunny old England.

It'll probably be the first piece of big machinery at the bar I'm soon opening. I'll eventually buy an Anova to look pretty in my home kitchen.

image.jpg

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#206 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I found a Keystone ice bucket at an antique shop in the Outer Banks.  We paid $25 for it.  Based on the research I’ve been able to do, I’m not sure it was a great deal, but I love it.  I’d like to actually use it - how would I make sure that it was sanitized fully?  I don’t want to use anything that would leave an odor behind that would get into the ice.  

Having trouble with pictures - flickr has changed and I can't figure out how to get the pictures to actually show.  Funny how often "improvements" complicate once simple things, huh?  Anyway, this is a link to an online picture of the piece: http://www.worthpoin...t-art-129860752

#207 William Colsher

William Colsher
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I found a Keystone ice bucket at an antique shop in the Outer Banks.  We paid $25 for it.  Based on the research I’ve been able to do, I’m not sure it was a great deal, but I love it.  I’d like to actually use it - how would I make sure that it was sanitized fully?  I don’t want to use anything that would leave an odor behind that would get into the ice.  

Having trouble with pictures - flickr has changed and I can't figure out how to get the pictures to actually show.  Funny how often "improvements" complicate once simple things, huh?  Anyway, this is a link to an online picture of the piece: http://www.worthpoin...t-art-129860752

Based on your link and some Googling it looks like the ice bucket should have a glass or ceramic liner. If that's absent, you may be able to find a glass storage jar that will fit in it's place. There's an Anchor Hocking 2 quart glass candy jar that might do the trick.

#208 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Based on your link and some Googling it looks like the ice bucket should have a glass or ceramic liner. If that's absent, you may be able to find a glass storage jar that will fit in it's place. There's an Anchor Hocking 2 quart glass candy jar that might do the trick.

Thank you, William!  I should have said (since I couldn't post my pictures) that the ceramic liner is there.  Do you think  just a good wash with hot water and dish soap is enough?

#209 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

I got this Sunday, at a yard sale a few doors down as I was on my way home from a birthday breakfast (I'm officially 75).

It was covered with crud - I thought it was brown.  Finally got around to putting it through the dishwasher and

IT IS AMETHYST!  Hand blown, with a clean pontil/punty on the bottom.  One or two small bubbles but otherwise very nice.  It's heavy so I am assuming some lead content.

No marks.

HPIM5936.JPG

HPIM5937.JPG

HPIM5938.JPG

I love small pitchers.  This one holds a quart with 1 1/2 inches of headroom.

• Porthos, heidih, Darienne and 2 others like this

#210 William Colsher

William Colsher
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thank you, William!  I should have said (since I couldn't post my pictures) that the ceramic liner is there.  Do you think  just a good wash with hot water and dish soap is enough?

As long as the liner is intact dish soap will do the job.