Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Rounding out my Chicago Itinerary

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 941 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

This group is such a valuable resource, I've now become a donor!  Thank you all.

My three and a half days in Chicago are now full of food.  Dinners at Prosecco and NaHa.  Brunch at Sable.  Will try Yolk for brekkie and also try for Purple Pig or Avec on the only open evening.

I've booked the Architecture Foundation's bus tour as well.  Too bad the boat tour doesn't start 'till April.

I've lived in Chicago for 15 years, and I've never heard or Prosecco. My business lunches at NaHa have been fine, but nothing worth seeking out on a short visit. Cocktails at Sable deserve all the raves they get, but the food doesn't really stand out from dozens of other places in the city.

Don't leave town without trying a Paul Kahan place (Blackbird, Avec, Publican, Publican Quality Meats, Big Star). I'd book Publican for brunch and save Sable for a nightcap.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#32 mlutzmann

mlutzmann
  • society donor
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

OK, I take it back!  Now this site is confusing. :-D  Just kidding.  I'm enjoying the debate.

How 'bout this:  Sable is getting such mixed reviews I'll take the last advice and change it to Publican.

Found Processo on Trip Advisor 'cause my birthday celebrating wife's fav is Italian.  Open to alternatives.  Everest would be it if it were my birthday.  (We went to Chez Panisse in Berkeley for my 50th last October - terrific!)  So disappointed I can't get into Alinea.  Everything I'm reading about it is right up my alley.  I've 'liked' their FB page and will watch for last minute tables (tickets :-)

Keep it comin'.  This is fun!

#33 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Have a nice trip! 

At Naha, you might mention that you are celebrating a 50th birthday... ;-) 

[I will say that it can get expensive there depending on what you order. :-) I've dropped more than $200 dining by myself but then I had several appetizers, double portions of foie gras, wine pairings for the whole meal...and had a not perfect meal (nasty "veal lollipops") on top of that]

If you are going after higher-end Italian (and even higher), next time you might consider some other places besides Prosecco.  Some other options: Spiaggia, Cafe Spiaggia, Piccolo Sogno, Coco Pazzo...  There are others. (All also show availability on Opentable for your weekend, indicating that - unless things change - reservations would also be available in a similar time frame in the future)

Spiaggia is the pinnacle of Italian cuisine in Chitown but some think it way overpriced for what they serve.  Cafe Spiaggia (it's smaller sister right next to it) is cheaper, more intimate/"rustic" and just as decent but with less selections. 

Consider Topolobampo for next time too. (Opentable shows limited availability for your weekend) 

But really, there are so many good places that don't get booked out months in advance in Chicago.  It depends on what you want to eat! 

Edited by huiray, 06 March 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#34 mlutzmann

mlutzmann
  • society donor
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Done and done.  I've cancelled Prosecco (I trust all of you far more than Trip Advisor).  Its Cafe Spiaggia now.  That hits our sweet spot of my 'best of the best regardless of cost' and my wife's preference to slightly below that financial carelessness.

I'm convinced we'll both be ecstatically happy!

#35 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

This group is such a valuable resource, I've now become a donor!  Thank you all.

My three and a half days in Chicago are now full of food.  Dinners at Prosecco and NaHa.  Brunch at Sable.  Will try Yolk for brekkie and also try for Purple Pig or Avec on the only open evening.

I've booked the Architecture Foundation's bus tour as well.  Too bad the boat tour doesn't start 'till April.

If you're with a companion, here's a Groupon for a Chicago History/Pedway Walking Tour. It might be an interesting complement to the the bus tour.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#36 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Some other places to consider for brunch currently, as compiled by chicago.eater.com:

http://chicago.eater...o-right-now.php

#37 iguana

iguana
  • participating member
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you're out by Midway, Boback's Sausage Co. is wonderful. They have a huge buffet with wonderful pork products along with lots of Eastern European vegetable dishes. Don't know if they serve breakfast, though.

I'm sorry to report that Boback's (http://bobak.com/) no longer offers the buffet. They are now just selling groceries.

Our go-to for Polish food near Midway is Szalas (http://www.szalasrestaurant.com/)-- a highlander restaurant in a huge A-frame, you have to pull a cord that rings a bell to get in. Food is excellent, decor includes taxidermy, waterwheel, etc. They serve lunch and dinner.

Cheers, Jen

#38 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Some other places to consider for brunch currently, as compiled by chicago.eater.com:

http://chicago.eater...o-right-now.php

I forgot to mention this list omits one spot that is frequently overlooked by many folks...including on here...the Sunday buffet brunch at Shaw's Crab House, either downtown on Hubbard St or out in Schaumburg. Maybe because it's not new or "cool" enough for eater.com. :-)  

Also, brunch at North Pond; or in The Lobby at the Peninsula; or some others...

Some links - here, here, here; & etc.