Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Millet Bread

Bread

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ritz55

ritz55
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi

Am looking for a recipe for gluten free millet bread.Most of the recipes require xanthum and guar gum which are not available here.
Could anyone please help me???? :unsure:

#2 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Are you tied to it being a yeast-leavened loaf? If not, I've got a load of GF recipes for quinua than can easily be adapted for millet. It might be an idea to look for breads where (if they were made with wheat) the gluten development wouldn't be a factor in the bread's texture.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#3 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Do you have access to flax seed and a spice grinder, or some psyllium fibre powder? I find they don't work quite as well as xanthan/guar gums, but they're a decent substitute. Boil the water in the recipe and add about 3/4 tbsp of either flax meal or psyllium fibre/cup of water. You'll end up with a mucilaginous mixture that somewhat approximates the effect of the gums. Wait for it to cool before using it in recipe.

#4 ritz55

ritz55
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Panaderia Canadiense

Thanks for your response!!
Am open to other options as well not necessarily yeast leavened loaf!!Can surely try this if you could pl give me the recipe!

#5 ritz55

ritz55
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Tylerk

Yes I have an access to both flax seeds and psyllium fibre powder ,though I have never used these can surely give it a shot! Thanks for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread