Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Inedit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

Has anyone else tried this? It's from Estrella Damm. My local pub was carrying bottles and my husband couldn't resist taking one home last night. It's in a champagne-style bottle, and has a label that is very reminiscent of Sapporo - a black field with a gold star in the centre. According to the accompanying booklet (!):

Inedit means "never been done before". In co-operation with the Brewmasters of Estrella Damm, Inedit was crafted by the globally acclaimed chef Ferran Adria, Juli Soler, and sommeliers Ferran Centelles and David Seijas from elBulli restaurant. Inedit was created to pair with the most exquisite and challenging foods. Foods that contain: Citrus and Oils: ie. salads, vinegar based sauces. Bitter notes: ie. asparagus, artichokes, rucula. Oily textures: ie salmon, tuna, fatty cheese.

So, perfect with a vindaloo? We actually had it with a well-dressed salad, and I thought it did pair well. The citrus and coriander notes came through nicely, although I thought no better than a bottle of (much cheaper and more widely available) Hooegarden.

#2 Ian McCarthy

Ian McCarthy
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I recall the label saying something about it being the first beer specifically created to pair with food. Much eye-rolling ensued....

Pairing wine with green salad has always given me trouble. This worked, but no better than any other citrus-y wit beer. For anything with fat content, I felt like it did not have the acidity to cut through richness, (this happens to be my beer and food pairing criticism on the whole.)

Good? Yes. A revelation? No. Overpriced? Yeah. Over-hyped? Way.

#3 Foodietopo

Foodietopo
  • participating member
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

I've never seen that brand in Japan. Beautiful bottle. I understand your husband, I would have probably bought a bottle myself.

What did he think about the taste?
My blog about food in Japan
Foodie Topography
www.foodietopography.com

#4 maher

maher
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

perfect sumup Ian

was going to chime in with my two cents but i dont think i can add to that

#5 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:03 AM

My thoughts were the same. The only thing I did like about it was that it seemed a little less heavy than the other wheat beers that I have regular access to - Hoegaarden and Erdinger. But yeah, the bottle's nice.