Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Cambodian/Khmer Cooking

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#91 snowangel

• eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Chris, I think those shrimp fritters look wonderful -- to me, they don't look malformed, they just look like they have nice meaty parts and lovely crispy bits.

Not to digress, but your Thai basil looks beautiful. The stuff I grow here has such tiny leaves. What variety are you growing? What's your secret?
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#92 deensiebat

• participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I want to try to make fish amok (after those tasty photos), and was looking for a light vegetable dish to accompany, and serve as a counterpoint to the rich coconut sauce. Any recommendations? Any particular Asian greens (and treatment)? Or are such things not eaten in Cambodia?

#93 Peter Green

Peter Green
  • participating member
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

It might be more Viet, but I like a quick stir fry of "water spinach" with my dishes. No heavy sauce, maybe just a bit of nam plaa for salt.

Another way to do it is to set up a salad alongside the dish (with rice, of course).

Man, I'm getting hungry again.

#94 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,638 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

I'm running into more challenges trying to learn to cook a lot of this food. For example, at a new Khmer restaurant here in town I had dishes my partner identified as char khwai (fried bread), beef plear (which is in Riviere as marinated beef salad), hae kainge (ground pork & shrimp wrapped in tofu sausage-style, steamed, sliced, and fried), salor majo kroeng (a thick kroeung-based soup with beef and tripe). Any leads on any of the non-plear items? And, while we're on the subject, is plear the same as lok lak?
Chris Amirault
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#95 philadining

• participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

... while we're on the subject, is plear the same as lok lak?

I'm pretty sure Plear is more like a larb: ground meat, mint, lots of lime, pretty spicy.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

#96 djwackfriz

• participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Been a while since anyone has posted in here, but... here goes!

Anyone able to share a recipe for ansom chek? It's sticky rice, coconut, red beans and banana, rolled in a banana leaf and steamed to perfection. It's also served at weddings to represent the groom's "naughty bits"... But I am lacking any more precise measurements.

Mark Rinaldi
Food Blogger