Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cambodian/Khmer Cooking

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#91 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Chris, I think those shrimp fritters look wonderful -- to me, they don't look malformed, they just look like they have nice meaty parts and lovely crispy bits.

Not to digress, but your Thai basil looks beautiful. The stuff I grow here has such tiny leaves. What variety are you growing? What's your secret?
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#92 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I want to try to make fish amok (after those tasty photos), and was looking for a light vegetable dish to accompany, and serve as a counterpoint to the rich coconut sauce. Any recommendations? Any particular Asian greens (and treatment)? Or are such things not eaten in Cambodia?

#93 Peter Green

Peter Green
  • participating member
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

It might be more Viet, but I like a quick stir fry of "water spinach" with my dishes. No heavy sauce, maybe just a bit of nam plaa for salt.

Another way to do it is to set up a salad alongside the dish (with rice, of course).

Man, I'm getting hungry again.

#94 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

I'm running into more challenges trying to learn to cook a lot of this food. For example, at a new Khmer restaurant here in town I had dishes my partner identified as char khwai (fried bread), beef plear (which is in Riviere as marinated beef salad), hae kainge (ground pork & shrimp wrapped in tofu sausage-style, steamed, sliced, and fried), salor majo kroeng (a thick kroeung-based soup with beef and tripe). Any leads on any of the non-plear items? And, while we're on the subject, is plear the same as lok lak?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#95 philadining

philadining
  • participating member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

... while we're on the subject, is plear the same as lok lak?

I'm pretty sure Plear is more like a larb: ground meat, mint, lots of lime, pretty spicy.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#96 djwackfriz

djwackfriz
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Been a while since anyone has posted in here, but... here goes!

Anyone able to share a recipe for ansom chek? It's sticky rice, coconut, red beans and banana, rolled in a banana leaf and steamed to perfection. It's also served at weddings to represent the groom's "naughty bits"... But I am lacking any more precise measurements.

Thanks!
Mark Rinaldi
Food Blogger
http://cookedearth.wordpress.com