Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Trader Joe's Artisan Puff Pastry

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

i know. sadly, it's true. doubly sad for me, as i just wrote the "I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook"which uses it multiple times. Before the book went to print, I checked and double-checked, and the TJ computer (accessed by a manager at both stores) read: Seasonal. Returning in Q4". With that assurance, I left the recipes in my book (along with caveats to hoard ingredients such as this). Imagine my dismay when, once Q4 arrived, the computer "fortune cookie" changed to "Discontinued. Refer customer to pie crust." Pie crust? Well, the TJ pie crust IS good, and they have recently reformulated it to be butterier and flakier than its previous incarnation, as well as rolled it out (as the puff was) rather than folding it. But pie crust ain't puff.
Sometimes a protest campaign is effective with TJ's.
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#62 scott123

scott123
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

I've been checking the freezer section twice a week for the last 3 months. At least now I know to stop checking :(

And referring customers to pie crusts? What's up with that? They might as well refer customers to green beans or potato chips because that's how much pie crust and puff pastry have in common. Horseshoes and hand grenades, folks. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

I've seen TJs products get discontinued because of sourcing issues (potstickers) and then come back when a new source was located. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but, it is possible.

#63 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Well, then. Let's get the protest started!

Where do we write?

Or do we know if there's someone who is still at Bay Bread who can say whether they are still manufacturing it for TJ?

#64 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Resurrecting a dead thread...

I love the Tj's puff pastry for savory baking! I mix up tuna, cheddar, and both raw and sliced boiled eggs, some salt and pepper and sometimes pepporincinis, and roll it up into a log... Served with tapatio, guys love it! Good for when we have guests and I don't want to make individual breakfasts, or for an afternoon holdover snack.
Also, new Zealand style meat pies!
Great stuff. Glad it's still around, and I think $4 for two sheets in CA.