• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Have you used that one much?  I bought it to give as kind of a joke gift when it first came out but don't remember looking at it carefully. 

In the meantime, I've got Dorie Greenspan's Waffles from Morning to Midnight (which has its own eG thread here) to work on!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!

The waffle iron I got is a regular sort, not Belgian. I don't think the recipe specifies.

I think you could swap in any roasted vegetable or combination of them as long as it's something not super wet.  Should be a good way to use up leftover roasted veggies.

I'll also mention that I made a half recipe which made 4 round waffles ~ 7.5 inches in diameter.

Now that you are the owner of a waffle iron, try these: Good Night Waffles. They're astonishingly easy. My el cheapo waffle maker (a Belgian style) does not have a browning adjustment, so I will generally let it cycle through twice, to get a nice crispy crust.

Because of the overnight ferment, these things are mostly air with lovely, ethereal wisps of waffle wrapped around it, in a gorgeous crunchy crust. I regularly make half the recipe, as the full one makes a good many. They do freeze nicely, and warm up like a dream in the CSO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have been without scrapple for months. For some, reason the ShopRite I get mine at, suddenly, only offered beef scrapple of which, I am not a fan. On a recent visit, I discovered that they had come to their senses, and brought back the mighty pork version! Breakfast this morning, was an informal celebration of that fact, that included fried zucchini, of course.

HC

IMG_0387-20190626095514.thumb.JPG.af0e077c167a51d2bd1261140d334318.JPGIMG_0391.thumb.JPG.12bba9b1cdc1d6abc32e639b4327ca3a.JPG

• Like 8

this has been my standard breakfast for a few months now

yes a few months.  I look forward to it.

its easy , and very tasty

Br.thumb.jpg.9d508ad9ad0a60785b9e25550a2eac23.jpg

now the 'On-the-Vine' tomatoes are not so toothsome , and taste like tomatoes

not like the ones I used to grow in my garden , but tomatoes none the less.

$ 0.99 an lbs  @ MarketBasket ,  $ 2.49 else-ware   , same tomatoes.

the eggs are ' steam-sauted '  on TJ's  sourdough  ( Pigs that Fly , N.H. )

and Jones Pork Microwave'd sausages.  45 seconds work fine for my system.

Im right now looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast ,  same as above.

Microwavable " Crispy " scrapple would  be nice , but Im not going to hold my breath

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

Tuna macaroni salad...too hot and muggy here for me to eat much of anything more.

Now making eggy potatoes for John.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Tuna macaroni salad...too hot and muggy here for me to eat much of anything more.

Now making eggy potatoes for John.

A couple of weeks ago when the weather here was hot I made exactly that same dish.  I made the mistake of adding a dollop of Grey Poupon and it made it way too tart.  Fortunately, after a day in the fridge that tartness mellowed out and then it was just right.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

A couple of weeks ago when the weather here was hot I made exactly that same dish.  I made the mistake of adding a dollop of Grey Poupon and it made it way too tart.  Fortunately, after a day in the fridge that tartness mellowed out and then it was just right.

@lindag...no mustard.  

diced red and yellow peppers, diced red onion, dressing of some Cain's mayo, Lactaid sour cream, celery salt and drained relish.

I had some of the dressing left over so I used it to make John a couple of turkey sandwiches to eat as he heads for Poughkeepsie.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Late breakfast / early lunch. Fatteh - Locally made yogurt (mildly tart, to me it tasted a bit of Emmentaler), mixed with garlic, salt, sumac, a hint of cumin and some chili. Strips of pita bread. Hot chickpeas. Topped with crisp pita bread chips, and cashew. Tomatoes with parsley and mint.

IMG_20190614_141310.thumb.jpg.042e2e95301457c1b32887f7bbdddb62.jpgIMG_20190614_141249.thumb.jpg.d3d95459e302a1613d642a3fa6940f49.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Breakfast today consisted of pre-cut fruit from the supermarket (a nice mix of berries, melon and grapes) Together with cottage cheese.

In the small town nearby there's actually a very well stocked grocery store that's open 24 Hours!

This in a town with a population of 2,200.  Amazing.

• Like 2

The strawberries are here! The strawberries are here!

Well, okay, they're still being driven up from about 100 miles south, but that's much closer than California. I've been able to snag some and I'm eating myself silly with them. I do love summer fruits! Breakfast this morning was red, white and blue: almost-local strawberries, good grocery store blueberries, and yogurt.

20190705_111920.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Matsuyama Airport, Shikoku (Japan): Uwajima Udon with wakame, tenkasu, kamaboko and and a mackerel-based fish cake, that I never sampled before. Must be the local touch - Udon is one of the specialities in Shikoku.

558651D6-C7F6-4B8A-9BD9-F17ACEF796C0.jpeg

9204EB87-EC22-4538-8FE0-F7873871ED78.jpeg

06ACE921-09C1-4A0A-AA78-CEE7F6ED2958.jpeg

7E813B3C-FDD6-43FA-9343-85BC18213DCF.jpeg

• Like 11

IMG_6907.thumb.JPG.422a6a351c5bcfd4a7db7d8fea0d6a82.JPG

Egg salad (made with dill, scallions, parsley, mayo (hellman's) and dijon mustard!) on some really good rye (Pain d'Avignon) sorta toasted.  Pickled cucumbers. Tomatoes and avocado, too.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?