• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

By request for Father’s Day – whomp biscuits and Father’s bacon:

DSCN9750.JPG.6c38a2aebeee8bb4135efe87e2c30255.JPG

DSCN9751.JPG.40d92416ceb685509eed0f113f7ebb5d.JPG

He cooked his own bacon last night and I put the biscuits in the CSO this morning.  I don’t think he actually prefers whomp biscuits to mine, but I think he suspected that with 9 coming for Father’s Day dinner tonight and going to NC for my grandmother's funeral tomorrow, I just couldn’t manage them this morning, God bless him.  My poor husband - he's such a wonderful support with my mom who has dementia - I should send him up to @Ann_T for his breakfasts!  😉

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

By request for Father’s Day – whomp biscuits and Father’s bacon:

Looks a lot tastier than what I'm having....cottage cheese with pineapple. 

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Rokurinsha, Haneda airport branch, Tokyo: Tsukemen with extra egg, large portion. Hits the spot every time ...

6CBE6653-FD81-4B28-BE3D-0950607A1C17.jpeg

B2450F98-7457-4F99-A0A2-1517C002E1AA.jpeg

This looks fabulous!     I get the general idea but can you give a more complete description?     I could eat this morning, noon or night!

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This looks fabulous!     I get the general idea but can you give a more complete description?     I could eat this morning, noon or night!

They are really good ... am a bit lazy, so I just give you two articles to explain 😉

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/tokyo-ramen-street-rokurinsha-tsukemen-noodles.html

https://danielfooddiary.com/2013/10/15/rokurinsha/

• Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Can you give some info on these?    They look delicious.   

Thanks. The palchintas are made of a simple thin batter of flour, eggs, milk and water. The filling is made of pan fired mushrooms, some cream, garlic and thyme. Thickened with roux and blended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

11 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks. The palchintas are made of a simple thin batter of flour, eggs, milk and water. The filling is made of pan fired mushrooms, some cream, garlic and thyme. Thickened with roux and blended.

Aha.....Thanks for jogging the memory re crepes.   Perfect 24/7 building blocks.   Will bring them back into rotation.     :)

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Aha.....Thanks for jogging the memory re crepes.   Perfect 24/7 building blocks.   Will bring them back into rotation.     :)

Yes, every time I make them I tell myself I should have them more often. Its a nice vehicle for many quick preparations, savory or sweet, and reheat very well.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Roasted Asparagus, Potato and Chive Waffles from Sister Pie with a boiled egg on top.  Edited to add that the recipe is available via the digital preview on Eat Your Books at this link. Not sure if that link works if you aren't an EYB member.

IMG_1055.thumb.jpg.48c460191efda5f10a88459daa9e03b1.jpg

The batter is light but the asparagus and especially the potatoes make them quite satisfying.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

looks more than quite tasty 

and is in more than harmony w the plate.

nice.

Thanks you!  I've been wanting a waffle iron for a long time and finally broke down and bought an inexpensive one last week with this recipe in mind.  I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Roasted Asparagus, Potato and Chive Waffles from Sister Pie with a boiled egg on top.  Edited to add that the recipe is available via the digital preview on Eat Your Books at this link. Not sure if that link works if you aren't an EYB member.

IMG_1055.thumb.jpg.48c460191efda5f10a88459daa9e03b1.jpg

The batter is light but the asparagus and especially the potatoes make them quite satisfying.

That looks gorgeous!  And those eggs!  A couple of questions - was that done in a regular waffle iron or Belgian?  And do you think the recipe would work without the asparagus?  I'm not an asparagus eater.  

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks you!  I've been wanting a waffle iron for a long time and finally broke down and bought an inexpensive one last week with this recipe in mind.  I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

Here you go 😃

https://www.amazon.com/Will-Waffle-Irresistible-Unexpected-Recipes/dp/0761176462/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Will+it+waffle&qid=1561334884&s=books&sr=1-1

25 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

That looks gorgeous!  And those eggs!  A couple of questions - was that done in a regular waffle iron or Belgian?  And do you think the recipe would work without the asparagus?  I'm not an asparagus eater.  

Thanks!

The waffle iron I got is a regular sort, not Belgian. I don't think the recipe specifies.

I think you could swap in any roasted vegetable or combination of them as long as it's something not super wet.  Should be a good way to use up leftover roasted veggies.

I'll also mention that I made a half recipe which made 4 round waffles ~ 7.5 inches in diameter.

• Thanks 1