• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

A riff on the Macanese Meat-and-Potato Hash (minchi) from Milk Street Tuesday Nights.  Fat Rice says "minchi" might have originated in Goa, so I figured I could use the shortcut of breaking up a patty of homemade Goan-style chouriço from the freezer. 

IMG_1070.thumb.jpg.66bfc6461dcbf5fe396d312e656da32a.jpg

I guess this actually makes it closer to the Choriço Potato Salad from Season, which I've made before.   Or a mish mash minchi hash 🙃?

After browning the meat and removing it from the pan, Milk Street has you wipe the pan and brown the par-cooked potatoes in fresh oil, while Season cooks the potatoes and meat together so the spuds soak up the porky seasoning.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Or a mish mash minchi hash 🙃 ?

😂

This is one of the recipes I have marked as a must try in the Tuesday night book. Just the name alone appeals to me.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had plans to make waffles with egg salad from Dorie's waffle book.  While the eggs were boiling, I happened on @Anna N's speculation over in the Manitoulin thread:

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I had a very odd thought as I went to sleep last night. At the bargain place yesterday I bought some espresso-flavoured Kit Kat bars and I wondered if one could melt these over a piece of toast. It was my idea of a riff on the French pain au chocolat.  Quite obviously my brain was somewhat disordered since it would be very hard to melt anything but the thin layer of chocolate on the bar.  Still think I might be onto something — I’m just not sure what it is.  

So I had this with a mug of black coffee:

IMG_1081.thumb.jpg.2ec62b942ff72338ce7d2b6b39ba8e08.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

...and your impressions?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/10/2019 at 8:29 AM, Ann_T said:
....butter basted farm fresh eggs.

Reminds me of a baffling conversation I had re eggs.    A woman working with a family member was telling me of her favorite eggs, ones her mother taught her to make.   "Bastard eggs".    Boggled, I told her I had never heard of them.   "Of course you have.   You fry eggs in butter and you keep spooning the melted butter over them until they're done the way you like them.'

Oooooookay.    I get it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

...and your impressions?

It hit the spot.  Crisp, toasted whole grain Sonora wheat baguette, salted Kerrygold butter and melty chocolate - what's not to like?  I liked the flavor of that chocolate bar from TJ's but eaten on its own, I didn't care for the gritty texture of the coarse ground coffee they put on the outside so it had been sitting in the cupboard waiting for me to chop it up into cookies or something.  This was a perfect use!

Today's breakfast was what I'd intended for yesterday, the Mustard Waffles with Chunky Egg Salad from Dorie Greenspan's Waffles from Morning to Midnight

IMG_1083.thumb.jpg.0c175335e014a8bf1c751c105d592e96.jpg

These waffles are kind of addictive.  They soften fairly quickly after coming out of the waffle maker but are easily re-crisped in the oven.   

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

A chef friend showed me how to make ‘fried eggs’ for a crowd.

heat an oven safe fry pan on medium heat with a good knob of butter.  

Preheat broiler.

Break in eggs and cook, reducing heat if needed, until set around the edges.

Break up a couple knobs of butter and scatter over the eggs.

Broil until they are the way you like them.

All done at the same time.😇

• Thanks 1

A cool morning before it starts to get muggy....

toasted cheese sandwich - whole wheat bread, Black Bear yellow American and a bit of honey mustard; tomato salad.

just grabbed a few zesty bread and butter chips to go with everything

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

2ED251A7-338C-4DE2-B483-316FA71263C6.thumb.jpeg.7493373aa0581ccabba98b735257e5b4.jpeg

Yogurt topped with fruit (on the patio)

As reported in the Dinner thread, I have been sick with some kind of mystery respiratory ailment for about a month now.  I would give a lot if someone would bring this exact thing to my house every day.  😁

Not eating much, but yesterday was craving a fried egg - with some toasted black Russian bread:

DSCN9860.JPG.ddc903743ae9ab65b62be296165fc3fa.JPG

and a lovely eat over the sink plum.  

Today was a white bread and PB foldover.  Hey, you do what you can do, right? 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1